• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you do?

I don't think the argument is that unmarked are less likely to be wanted back. But it pretty hard to return something with no way to know who had it in the first place.

That's true.

An argument might be made that, because it is the custom of disc golf to mark discs with contact information, unmarked discs are less likely to be wanted back. Not a great argument, but one that can be made.

But the problem is that the Finder is deciding whether the owner wants the disc back, without asking, and without a clue as to the story behind the disc being where he found it.

The underlying principle, for the wallet or disc, is that someone doesn't relinquish ownership by leaving something somewhere. The assumption of abandonment doesn't apply to wallets or jackets or baseball bats or much of anything else.

But the contradiction I was addressing was the one that declares that the disc has no value (to the owner) but has value (to the finder).

Well put. Those ideas are what really get under my skin when I think about the "spirit of the game" and "we're a community of disc golfers, who are usually really cool people" type of ideas laid down by the people who came before us who had some really good ideas about how to treat other golfers.

What if it was a golf umbrella that fell off my cart a couple weeks ago that I happened to see someone else using on the course. I could prove it's mine because I marked it. Would you expect, as the person who found the umbrella, that the original owner would want it back? Is that too abandoned property? Would you be surprised if the original owner walked up and asked to have it back? What makes people think that someone doesn't want an item because they are not presently holding it in their hand?

Last edited:
I explain to my children, on even unmarked discs, if someone can identify their disc I'll return it. Same goes for random stuff I find like gas cans or ratchet straps along the highway.

If it's yours, I want you to have it. If I need one, I'll find a way to buy one. Or, if you voluntarily give it to me, that's great.

I do my best to return all discs I find. But I think it's an unreasonable comparison when you compare a wallet to a disc. Many people, some in this thread, have said there is a possibility they would let the founder keep the disc. No one would allow anyone to keep their wallet.

The difference is you can't throw a wallet.

Standards

Everyone has their own standards of behavior. If a disc has a number inside, I presume the owner wants to be called and get the disc back. I usually don't call because ***DINOSAUR ALERT***, I don't have a cell phone. But I leave the disc near the course board or first tee if there is no board or drop box. Twice I called: once because I found the disc on a football field so apparently it was lost during practice and once because the course was in the boondocks and I thought it unlikely that it would be frequented by the player who lost it. If the disc only has a name in it, then I leave it at the course. If it is unmarked, I used to keep it but now I have so many that I leave it at the course as well (usually after trying it out if I am unfamiliar with the disc model). As for my discs, I write my name but no number in them. So if I leave one at a course, I consider it finders keepers for whoever finds it. Why do I write my name in it? Just in case someone else has the same disc on the same course and there might be confusion and also if someone picks it up (intentionally or accidentally) during my round.
I had someone at Tank Run come up and say he lost a red disc and ask if I found one. I said no and he asked if he could look in my bag. I said "Sure" and showed him that all the red discs in my bag had my name on them. I could have been insulted but opted for the path of least resistance.

Everyone has their own standards of behavior. If a disc has a number inside, I presume the owner wants to be called and get the disc back. I usually don't call because ***DINOSAUR ALERT***, I don't have a cell phone.

No land line or phone at work?

I can see not being tied to a cell phone like a teenager. But choosing to limit your ability to communicate in case of an emergency, in 2018, is very strange. Even homeless people have cell phones.

In my younger years I called discs with numbers and kept discs with no numbers.
Now I simply put discs in the drop box marked and unmarked. If there is no drop box at the course i leave in the next basket if I cannot reach the owner.
And I would not take my disc from someone. I've seen my lost discs for sale at the local pias who knows what happened after I lost it.
I saw a kid diving in a pond trying to get some discs. I just happened to shank one in the pond while he was there. He said , wait I will get it for you. I told him, no way that water is gross, if you are willing to dive for it, you can keep it.

And I would not take my disc from someone. I've seen my lost discs for sale at the local pias who knows what happened after I lost it.

This is true, and what made this thread---at least, the start of this thread---more interesting than the well-worn finders/keepers debate. It's an awkward situation to come across your own disc in the possession of someone else.

Just as the finder of a disc doesn't know how it got to be there, or its owner's intent, we can't know those things about the named disc in someone else's possession.

I can see not being tied to a cell phone like a teenager. But choosing to limit your ability to communicate in case of an emergency, in 2018, is very strange. Even homeless people have cell phones.

Sorry to derail the thread:

Growing up watching Capt Kirk and Spock use their communicators was the way coolest thing I ever saw.

Once the cell phone became a reality I quickly grew to loath it.

I have one only because my wife is disabled and sometimes she gets into situations where she needs immediate assistance.

^ Yep. Makes perfect sense to have one for quick communication in those situations.

Many have discussed what their viewpoint would be from the OP's perspective. I think I would have had a similar thought and action process.

I'll attempt to put myself in the "finder's" perspective.
Op: hey that looks a lot like my disc I lost...can I see to confirm my number is on it?
Me as finder: what's your name? I can check for you
Me as finder: well sure enough that is yours! I found it over ..... My apologies for not calling you. I have really enjoyed throwing it, what's the plastic/mold, and what role does it fill in your bag (assuming the finder is indeed a beginner). I will pick one up when I'm done here for the day!

I guess I don't see any reason besides the OP's benevolence that the finder should morally end up with the disc. I agree that perhaps a monetary "finder's fee" would be optimal and kick up the moral factor a bit, but I don't think it's necessary.

Still, not having a cell phone is a choice some people make even today, for various reasons.

Sorry to derail the thread:

Growing up watching Capt Kirk and Spock use their communicators was the way coolest thing I ever saw.

Once the cell phone became a reality I quickly grew to loath it.

I have one only because my wife is disabled and sometimes she gets into situations where she needs immediate assistance.

I remember getting my hands on my first cell phone that you could flip open. Heck, the first thing that I did was flip it open and say "Kirk to bridge":eek::cool:
'

I grew up being taught to adapt to situations and use practiced problem solving skills in cases of emergency. You might be under the impression that a cell phone solves problems, but they do not. In my experience, nearly everyone turns into a moron the moment they start to use a cell phone. :\

All snarkyness aside. I don't assume that what is good for me, must be good for others. I do not wish, nor need to own a cell phone of any kind. Never, have I found a situation, where that has created any kind of hardship in my life.

I grew up being taught to adapt to situations and use practiced problem solving skills in cases of emergency. You might be under the impression that a cell phone solves problems, but they do not. In my experience, nearly everyone turns into a moron the moment they start to use a cell phone. :\

All snarkyness aside. I don't assume that what is good for me, must be good for others. I do not wish, nor need to own a cell phone of any kind. Never, have I found a situation, where that has created any kind of hardship in my life.

^This.

Also, I'll add that if someone is homeless and has a cellphone, they may be misallocating their resources. ;)

Latest posts