• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you do?

I grew up being taught to adapt to situations and use practiced problem solving skills in cases of emergency. You might be under the impression that a cell phone solves problems, but they do not. In my experience, nearly everyone turns into a moron the moment they start to use a cell phone. :\

All snarkyness aside. I don't assume that what is good for me, must be good for others. I do not wish, nor need to own a cell phone of any kind. Never, have I found a situation, where that has created any kind of hardship in my life.

There is a sharp generational divide when it comes to cell phones, and other forms of technology. Nothing you've said here is surprising.

Also, I'll add that if someone is homeless and has a cellphone, they may be misallocating their resources. ;)

I've seen many a homeless individual with a cell. They can get them free, and they're dirt cheap to get minutes for. A better question is how are they getting money for their drugs and alcohol. :|:|

Good luck finding a payphone these days.

Exactly.

Which is why there should be a distinction between a cell phone and a smart phone. A cell phone, at least one that makes/receives calls and maybe texts, is something that is almost essential in this day and age. If some sort of emergency occurs, who knows where the nearest phone might be. But if it's in your pocket, you're covered.

Different story with smart phones. No one needs one of those to get by. Old folks can scoff all they want at those things. They are creating a generation of zombies.

This is the kind of situation I hate getting called to as the police and to the OP....you have the most to lose.

Without going into every what if....if the person you took the disc from called the police, we will come.

I'll get his story. Then I will get yours. I will try to make peace, one way or another. The ownership of the disc is a civil issue. In most places the police have little authority over that issue. However, You taking it from someone could be criminal.

If you want the disc with your name back and he does not want to give it, you can take him to court. You can't take it from him.

Besides the criminal issue. If the person who took the disc back is being difficult, he can end up trespassed from the property for life (you go to jail if you ever go back) and the disc gets taken as evidence. This is an unlikely outcome but exists. It becomes more likely as your difficulty level increases.

Again, my point being, the OP took all the risk by doing what he did.

Last edited:
If you want the disc with your name back and he does not want to give it, you can take him to court. You can't take it from him.

If this is true it just threw a big wrench into debates about lost/found discs. :popcorn:

If this is true it just threw a big wrench into debates about lost/found discs. :popcorn:

Keep in mind, I was constructing my thoughts based on the specific situation in this thread.

Keep in mind, that the law and courtesy are not always in sync.

As I said, I (And most cops) would try to make peace. The story each person tells us would have a lot to do with how we try to make peace.

We certainly understand the concept of courtesy as well. However, also based on what each person tells us, we have the reality that you took something from someone that may have been in possession of it lawfully. If making peace does not work, the application of the law begins.

Right or wrong, or traditional courtesies of the community aside, the OP took all the risk.

I also want to point out another risk the OP took. In many states you have the right to use force to prevent or stop a theft. Including deadly force. It even triggers citizens arrest powers in some cases.

Guy with disc, that he is in lawful possession of is sitting on a bench and stranger comes up and takes it. Stranger might catch a beating or get shot....And when it is all over also catch a charge. Of course this is unlikely but if it can happen it eventually will.

You can not take things from people.

I also want to point out another risk the OP took. In many states you have the right to use force to prevent or stop a theft. Including deadly force. It even triggers citizens arrest powers in some cases.

Guy with disc, that he is in lawful possession of is sitting on a bench and stranger comes up and takes it. Stranger might catch a beating or get shot....And when it is all over also catch a charge. Of course this is unlikely but if it can happen it eventually will.

You can not take things from people.

And this is one of many things that is wrong with western society. You can't take what is yours from someone who without your permission, has possession of it . This mindset, which permeates society, justifies theft.

And this is one of many things that is wrong with western society. You can't take what is yours from someone who without your permission, has possession of it . This mindset, which permeates society, justifies theft.

In a vacuum I would often agree. However, the issue is more complex than that. We do not know the circumstances by which the person came into possession of the disc.

There are a number of ways he could have come into not only lawful, but understandable possession of the disc. A stranger just "taking it" no matter how strong his belief that it is his is creating a problem where one did not exist a moment before.

You know the events that lead to your loss of the disc. (Or have a strong belief). You do not know the chain of events that took place to have that disc arrive in someone else's possession.

Taking it creates significant liabilities. (That I already touched on.)

Ok Barney Fife. Citizen's Arrest....Citizin's arrest.

You can be dismissive if you want. I am just giving you some experienced advice on the range of problems that could exist in this situation.

"Poof" we are back at that moment and that guy called the cops and there is now a cop in front of you asking you why you took that man's property.

It is very likely to turn out fine but again, you incurred all the liability that creates the possibility it would not turn out well for you.

Latest posts