• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you like to see from DG coverage on TV/streaming video?

TorreyLaffoon

Birdie Member
What kinds of things would put DG on the map as far as a TV product goes?

In my opinion, I'd like to see things like disc selection for shots and multiple camera angles. What about you?

I would like to see more updates from the "studio" or interviews with players or other disc golf notables while the camera crew is repositioning (speaking from experience with Disc Golf Planet TV). Even pre-recorded would be cool. Or maybe highlights from earlier rounds even.

As for the OP, multiple angles might not yet be possible with the budget they are running on now. And I would love to see disc selection too, but I am not sure if the pros want to be bothered by someone asking what disc they threw during the final nine when they are "in the zone." But maybe they could get a catalog of each player's discs before the round so that they could tell by the color/design of the disc.

Disc selection would be great! Part of the fun of watching ball golf tournaments is when you hear they're hitting ridiculous shots like 150yd lob wedges or 200yd 8 irons. It really makes you realize how heads and tails up those guys are.

I really am baffled by the interest players seem to have in what disc another player threw. I think over 20 years the only times I ever asked another player what they threw was when I had to help find their lost disc. As someone who is shooting more video at events, maybe I should start asking. I guess if it's of interest to enough viewers then maybe it's worth it. I just don't get it personally.

I'd like to see the video crew show up for an event that they promote on their website for 6+ months and then call to cancel 2-weeks before the NT event happens. Really sucks when you try to get sponsors by telling them that the event will be broadcast live over the internet, then when the time comes, the video crew cancels.

DGM style commentary, maybe go over with the players on the card about what they're throwing before the round starts. And the disc selection for each of the players sounds cool too

I really am baffled by the interest players seem to have in what disc another player threw. I think over 20 years the only times I ever asked another player what they threw was when I had to help find their lost disc. As someone who is shooting more video at events, maybe I should start asking. I guess if it's of interest to enough viewers then maybe it's worth it. I just don't get it personally.

:thmbup:

What's needed are more cameras and angles. I understand the budget does not allow that but that's what's needed to make watching DG on TV some what enjoyable.

On wide open holes this should not be a problem at this point but once you get into trees the number of cameras needed increases. I know this is nothing new, I'm sure the people responsible for putting DG on TV already know this.

After watching coverage for a while, here are my thoughts:

1) Better coverage of the person's throw while in flight. It's not easy camera work but necessary.

2) More interviews with the players.

3) More info about what the players are throwing or "in the bag" segments would be cool.

4) If feasible, have one camera with the player and one at the basket for multiple camera angles. I know this is difficult and expensive but I believe it would help make a really professional product in the end.

If someone has a similar throwing style to you (or throws with similar power), then what they have to say or throw may be applicable to you. Some will, some won't.

I'de like to see that thing they do with NHL hockey with the puck where it has like a colored tail behind it so you know where it goes...it'd be sweet to see Nikko or Avery or whoever rip a monster drive and be able to follow it with that ghost tail behind it to show it's flight path........and hot chicks in bikinis to hold the big scorecard thingy....

I'de like to see that thing they do with NHL hockey with the puck where it has like a colored tail behind it so you know where it goes...it'd be sweet to see Nikko or Avery or whoever rip a monster drive and be able to follow it with that ghost tail behind it to show it's flight path........and hot chicks in bikinis to hold the big scorecard thingy....

the colored tail thing? was expensive and unnecessary, it was also done by fox, when was the last time you saw a hockey game on fox?

that would have to be about 5 years ago seeing as hockey is lame. I'de rather watch sepak takraw. if you don't know what that is you must not watch much of the Ocho.

He does bring up a good point though, the disc is really hard to see once it is about 200 feet out. I agree that the trail is kind of tacky though. Multiple cameras I guess would do the trick.

Anyway, I forgot to add my suggestion:

Forbid the commentators from saying 'Nothing but chains!' and 'Nothing but basket!' .....

on every.....

single....

putt.

Talk about tacky.

I want to be able to have perspective on where the disc is going and where it ends up. This often means filming right behind the thrower or maybe facing toward the thrower.

I hate two things: 1) when the camera is focused on something in shadows and then pans out to the open and the camera "fuzzes out" and it's too bright to see anything (I don't have the vocabulary to describe what this is).

2) when there is a camera angle that has the disc coming toward the camera and then past the camera (e.g. the camera man is halfway down the fairway and facing the thrower). You can't tell what is going on and whether or not it was a good shot.

I agree on liking to know what they're throwing because it's often not what I'd choose. For instance, on #13 in the Vibram Open (a downhill shot where you must hit a gap about 250-300 feet away), I was surprised that they were throwing Rocs. I'm lucky to reach the gap with a driver.

1. The players name posted
2. The players disc selection listed for a particular shot. Inbetween holes possibly listing/showing the selection of discs in a players bag.
3. After a shot list the distance thrown (like in ball golf). This would be particularly interesting for long holes, but I'd also like to see it in conjunction with disc selection to see what holes they're throwing which discs and how far.

1. The players name posted
2. The players disc selection listed for a particular shot. Inbetween holes possibly listing/showing the selection of discs in a players bag.
3. After a shot list the distance thrown (like in ball golf). This would be particularly interesting for long holes, but I'd also like to see it in conjunction with disc selection to see what holes they're throwing which discs and how far.

This is exactly what I was going to post.

I've watched a ton of DG tournaments on YouTube and found that the best format is usually when you show a map of the hole for a few seconds, and then get cameras behind the tee. On the bottom of the screen, show what the previous post said. That'd be money.

I actually work for the company that made this happen. Its called Sportvision. This was one of the first things that they ever did and it was horrible. Now they have it for NASCAR where it shows the air flowing over the car. The technology to do this is expensive and you would have to have multiple cameras, at least one on every hole, which is not possible. If DG was bigger then maybe but not worth it at all since there would be better cameras like the ones they use for golf. You can see the ball there.

Sportvision does things like the 1st and 10 line, NASCAR pointers, K zone, virtual ads and many other things.

Latest posts