• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you like to see from DG coverage on TV/streaming video?

Most I've come up with have been touched on already...

• Pre-round walkthrough/flyby of the course/holes
  • Replays and highlights ("for those of you just getting in, here's the shot of the day to this point...")
  • Displays of the hole maps (can be quick)
  • Display of the player's name, hole and score at that hole (if score isn't known, the player and hole will be).
  • Booth crew and roving reporters
  • More interviews with players, organizers and sponsors.
  • Along the lines of having pre-round footage; have somebody shoot some unique/scary/typical/etc shot perspectives that competitors will be experiencing on the course (so those of us who really don't know how tough that putt/upshot is looking at the basket with a ledge/fountain/river/ob in play).
  • Obvious request: More quality cameras on the course.
  • Bonus dream request: Telestrator, like what the NFL's been using for years.

I have seen where somebody just walked from teepad to basket, then edited it into the video sped up (or recorded slow and played reg, however that's done). I felt like I got at least a rough idea of what somebody may have to think about while on the tee or fairway. That same footage can be used for the resale vids (DVD) and spruced up with the added editing/production time. Going by just a caddy book picture doesn't give that 3rd dimension where you have options under trees, for example...especially for those who are seeing "x" course for the first time or the camera(s) following the card can't get into a position to show the hole well.

Seeing the disc in flight issues I think are going to be too expensive for a while for live streaming. I would hope post-production could highlight discs in flight for the resale vids/DVDs (a simple freeze frame with circle/arrow highlighting disc).

I've only got a chance to watch a couple live events via streaming video. I think having a "booth" crew and a couple roving reporters would help with the flow and allow for easier discussions of the whole tourney instead of just the card with the cameras. The roving reporters can be with the cameras or if they need to can be audio only (if say they have to jump up to the second card to follow a big charge in the works). Use the booth crew for interviews with players, organizers and sponsors (get non-DG sponsors interviewed so they can be and feel more a part of the event...and sport). If there is video problems on a camera on the course they can cut back to the booth and talk about what they can see, talk with who's in the booth, go over replay footage, show other prepared clips or last week's episode of Hypnotoad.

Because I've played for quite a while, my perception is that knowledge of what disc a player throws is potentially more of a negative than positive other than for the disc manufacturer who might sell more. The only thing I would personally trust is the thrower describing what they tried to do or did with that disc, not a commentator. A commentator typically can't tell whether the disc is new or beat and the slight adjustments in snap, energy and angle the thrower may have made. But then, as mentioned before, much of the video we watch is not live so there's time to get that feedback if the throwers are available to help. Even now I wouldn't throw what Avery throws or believe I could learn much from watching or knowing what he threw. I'm sure I could probably learn something if he was directly helping me.

Chuck:

Thanks for the comments. It does make sense to me that getting to hear from the player later and then either he/she or the commentator alluding to shot selection would be equally effective and interesting to me. And I don't want to get into helping a certain manufacturer, either ... for me simply stating "overstablestable max weight driver," or "straight flying midrange", etc., would suffice for me. Sometimes just having an idea of what shots are possible helps me learn. Since I'm both newbie and an Am grandmaster, I'll never be able to do what Avery or other top pros do. I just think I can learn from their thinking.

No down-time. Vibram Open was Live and one of their cameras needed a new battery or something, so all they showed for 20+ minutes was people walking up a fairway, and every so often an up-shot.

Oh, and Joe Rogan

I didn't think this thread would give rise to as much awesome discussion as it has but I am super pumped about it! I don't think the day is too far off where coverage of DG, even if it's just a stellar streaming Internet feed, becomes really quality stuff. I'm a communications major who's always had a dream of being in a commentators booth for sporting events, so maybe I'll catch a break and be able to be a part of the next generation of excellent disc golf coverage!

In my opinion, I'd like to see things like disc selection for shots

Disc selection would be great! Part of the fun of watching ball golf tournaments is when you hear they're hitting ridiculous shots like 150yd lob wedges or 200yd 8 irons. It really makes you realize how heads and tails up those guys are.

2. The players disc selection listed for a particular shot. Inbetween holes possibly listing/showing the selection of discs in a players bag.

Much as a benefit as this may be to televised/internet coverage guys, I question how exactly we would go about getting that information from the players, and do it in a manner that doesn't interfere with their ability to play. Players may carry about 20 discs, and possibly several more in their backup box. They may also switch out their disc selection between rounds. I don't want to have players having to present their discs to the camera before every shot, like say here.

Latest posts