• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you like to see in a Dyeing FAQ page?

are they going to work? let me know if you need any different ones because i have a few dyes still to do today and tomorrow

they should work just fine. I'll get them integrated into the write-up and post the thread. :thmbup:

Could something be included about remasking for multi color dyes? It might have already been included in the How-To part but it is something I have problems with.

this would most likely has it's own thread. I know there are plenty that are out there. That's why we want to make this FAQ, so the information is easier to find.

This thread is probably gonna be huge lol. This may be difficult to do but maybe a section that explains how certain dye colors are affected by the actual disc color if you're not using a white or clear disc.

The FAQ thread will be small. there will be no need to post in it unless you suggesting something to add to the list.

What I envision is the OP in the thread will have a list of toics. under each topic will be a link to a thread that explains that topic. Everything that we have listed so far is here somewhere. We're just going to pull a prerube and pull it together so that anyone can find them.

Multi-masking
The paint on method
Photoshop (gimp, illustrator, etc) help for making stencils

Really, any technique new or old, advanced or easy.

I could see this being a sub-forum: "Dying Techniques and How-To"

making stencils is easy. go to photoshop. "adjustments", "black and white", then just tweak the colors. it takes 30 seconds max

best case scenarios without a plotter

I know there are solid ways to dye with just a blade and vinyl without a professional plotter

give me those secrets NOW!!!!

The different uses for acetone in disc dyeing, Which colors of RIT will stay that color and which will change on the plastic, The Elmers Glue method.

A retailer listing for the best selection on Rit dye's. I know I have visited Wally world (Shudders), Michael's, and Joann's for Rit and pretty much see the same selection everywhere. I'm actually getting to a point to where I might just order from Rit to make sure I get the colors I wants. Also a link to the Rit color chart for mixing might be helpful too. Here's the link: http://www.ritdye.com/colorit_color_formula_guide

:rolleyes: ok, since no one said it yet...

i'd like to see your mom in the FAQ, oooohhhhhh snaapppppp

oh-snap-demotivational-poster-1225212889.jpg

A retailer listing for the best selection on Rit dye's. I know I have visited Wally world (Shudders), Michael's, and Joann's for Rit and pretty much see the same selection everywhere. I'm actually getting to a point to where I might just order from Rit to make sure I get the colors I wants. Also a link to the Rit color chart for mixing might be helpful too. Here's the link: http://www.ritdye.com/colorit_color_formula_guide

Don't always trust that color guide implicitly. Remember, we're not dyeing clothes, we're dyeing plastic, and most of us have found that the colors don't always work well on plastic(I'm looking at you, Dark Green/ Tan/ etc).

I suppose that would be a great addition to a tutorial thread -- our color mixes and how we get to them. I use the backs of my ESP white discs for color testing and technique attempts. I try lots of variations -- mixes, timing, temps -- to find the right shades of what I want.

Without having read the rest of this post but the last page, here's my suggestion...

VIDEOS!
I've considered making a tutorial myself but just haven't had the spare time to do so. I would consider videos detailing the dyeing process would be very helpful. In my mind these would be step by step videos separated by major parts of the process. IE Cutting, Stamp removal, Transfer, Weeding, Preparing dye, Placing disc in dye... All separated so that the user could easily watch each segment as necessary. Could also have seperate more advanced techniques layed out such as multi color, saran wrap, shading, and so forth!

Also... Bennetts right! I can't emphasize the use of a test disc enough! I've got a star plastic disc solely for the purpose of testing colors and techniques... It's lookin kinda crazy!!

IMAGINATION is KEY!!

best case scenarios without a plotter

I know there are solid ways to dye with just a blade and vinyl without a professional plotter

give me those secrets NOW!!!!

Heres your secret... PATIENCE!!

Cutting your vinyl with a blade just takes time, go slow! You can cut just as detailed designs as a plotter with you hand, I know first hand. 360 swivel blade can be your best friend! It's absolutely amazing what that thing can cut if your careful! ... u can put that in the tutorial...

Latest posts