• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you want to see in an unsanctioned event that isnt allowed in a PDGA event

davetherocketguy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Just a matter of curiosity really...What sorts of things would you want to see in a unsanctioned event that would not be allowed or normal in a PDGA event? The first thing I was thinking was offering the ams the option of a cash payout...

Just a matter of curiosity really...What sorts of things would you want to see in a unsanctioned event that would not be allowed or normal in a PDGA event? The first thing I was thinking was offering the ams the option of a cash payout...

This +

Handicapped events +
Flighted events -
PDGA fees

How would the handicapping work?

Flighted events? Whats that?

Yeah...elimination of PDGA fees would mean more money to go back into the event.

I played in a flighted event last year. First round no divisions. Between rounds players were divided by 1/3rds into 3 divisions. 2nd round you play against your division and total score wins different divisions.

The more classic golf way would just be that you play all your rounds, then afterwards you're divided out into divisions.

Well, since it's just for the hell of it...
Mandatory throwing styles from the tees on a predetermined hole, i.e. an overhand throw, or a roller must be thrown from a particular hole. Actually, that kinda sounds Rip It-ish.
How about on a water hole, you go into the water. If you can stand behind the disc & throw, you do not get an OB stroke. Naturally, it would be beneficial to play this way on a hot day.

The options above can be done in events and leagues as X-tiers if your course owner needs insurance via sanctioning. Note that PDGA sanctioned leagues allow cash payouts in all divisions so cash to ams is not a feature unique to unsanctioned events. We've been doing Cali leagues for more than a year now four days a week at different courses. Players get one free mulligan on every hole on any shot they wish.

Well, since it's just for the hell of it...
Mandatory throwing styles from the tees on a predetermined hole, i.e. an overhand throw, or a roller must be thrown from a particular hole.
I think that this should be from drop zones.

Course/Green specific C1. The shape of an outlined greens determines where you can or can not follow through beyond your lie after release.

Bracketed match play.

Yeah, I know, it can be sanctioned as an X-tier -- we've done it -- but sanctioning loses some of its appeal without ratable rounds, and paying the top 50% seems silly. So a steeper payout to go with the match play and single- or double-elimination brackets.

Beer carts.

Drink carts, BYOB, and also you can bring your own personal motorized golf cart. Motorized carts provided for older players who need them. PDGA doesn't allow these even at X Tiers. PDGA prohibits motorized carts unless they are provided to all players. Rounds are delayed by older players who are slow getting around the course. I've too often seen a TD descend on my card and harass an older player with bad knees for being too slow. Even once is too often. PDGA blindly apes PGA rules here, even in am divisions.

Bracketed match play.

Yeah, I know, it can be sanctioned as an X-tier -- we've done it -- but sanctioning loses some of its appeal without ratable rounds, and paying the top 50% seems silly. So a steeper payout to go with the match play and single- or double-elimination brackets.

I'm planning an event that has medal play to form flights of 4 and then match play within the flights. Also, the medal play rounds will be handicapped as well. Players will choose which they want to buy in for. No divisions.

If you have played the Winter Warriors event in Denver, this is the example I would use.

Certain holes have certain rules. Forehand only. Off-hand only. Putter only. Etc. Some holes have a grab bag with tokens in it - everyone takes a token before teeing and throws that shot, similar to disc dice. Some holes are temp holes with mini baskets - you throw minis. Some holes are temp holes with junior/macro baskets, and you throw those discs. Some holes, opponents pick your discs. Some holes, you throw from your opponent's bag.

Mix it up, play with the format, and don't be afraid to be silly. Non-sanctioned is the place where you can bring fun to the event instead of just avoiding PDGA requirements.

Flighted tournaments in my area were a sandbaggers heaven. I was super happy when they went away.

I'd like to see tournaments where somewhere in the middle of the course you switch to mini-baskets and discs for a few holes in the middle of the round!

Flighted tournaments in my area were a sandbaggers heaven. I was super happy when they went away.

Mine will have an option to buy in to qualify for cash payout. Half the number that paid in will be paid out. For example, if 16 pay in, then the top two cards will have cashed and then compete for their % of the distribution. All the other flights will be trophy-only. No incentive to sandbag.

Latest posts