• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What you carry and why

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was looking at the Discraft web site and I noticed that some of the pros give a list of what discs they carry and why. I think it would be kind of cool to post that here. What do you carry and why.It might give some of the new players some ideas, and also might introduce people to discs that they might have been wondering about and would like to see what others think about that disc. Also, post what kind of bag you carry and what else you carry in your back besides discs. Kind of your disc golf profile.

Now lets not criticize people for what they throw, this is not for that. Everyone likes different discs. Lets just see who carries what and why.

My game is still developing additional distance so this may be changing over the course of 2009. I primarily throw RHBH.

(2) Primary distance driver 150g Champion Valkyrie
(1) Overstable driver (for me) 175g Champion Wraith (For windy days or holes requiring more left hand turn.)
(1 each) Control drivers 150g & 170g Millennium JLS (For anything less than max distance. Holds any line that I put it on... whether it's a good line or not.)
(1) Water driver 150g DX Dragon
(1) Stable midrange 175g DX Roc (straight or left turning longer approaches)
(1) Understable midrange 165g DX Stingray (right turning longer approaches)
(2) Primary putter 175g DX Aviar P & A (anything from 210' and in)
(1) More overstable putter 175g Star Avair P & A (anything from 210' in needing more left turn at the end)

Other stuff... jerky, granola bars, water, diet pepsi, cell phone, medical tape, neosporin, chapstick, hand lotion, toilet paper, mini, notebook & pen, scorecards... nothing really exciting.

Last edited:
I started playing in September and carry 8 discs in my bag, few of which I have actually chosen.

150g Champion Valkrie (Honestly I have not used this disc in a while as it is fairly understable for me with the weight and the snap that I put on my throws, it is not really a practicle disc).
170g Champion Sidewinder (which I use mostly for rollers and when I intend to go left of a tree through an alley).
171g Star TL (This is my go to disc for just about anything, it can hold a line whatever that line might be and I can put it out there a good distance).
172g Star Skeeter (My go to disc for shorter shots that just do not feel right for my putter. Also a shorter shot that I may want to skip a little bit).
166g Champion Panther (Do not use this disc much anymore but will use it for shorter hammer or thumber shots or shorter shots that I need to turn right as I do not have a mid range that I am comfortable throwing forehand).
168g Champion Aviar (My putt and approach disc and will use it for anything within 150ft or so and literally I expect it to go in though it only does about half the time).

On the other side of my bag is:
175g ? DX Whippet (I use this for throwing over water).
157g DX Destroyer with a 31st WintertimeOpen Stamp (As a faster longer replacement for the Valkyrie though I would like to actually get a Champion or Star version of the disc though I might get others first.

I also usually carry a water bottle with water, marker discs, a pen, a notebook to keep scores in, and a PDGA rule book. I really need to find some good snack to put in there too, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Bag: Innova Competition

175 Champ Valkyrie- Long Straight Driver.Goes nice and straight. I use this disc on tighter fairways straighter long shots

162 Sirius Orion LS- Main Driver. Takes off like a missile. And flies like it was shot from a cannon. The longest driver in my bag. I use it for max distance on wide open holes.

155 Monarch- Under stable max distance driver. Since I am a RHBH thrower, I use the Monarch for right turning shots that need max distance.

168 Star Road Runner- I use this disc when I need a shot to start off right and come back left at the end of the flight. Works great for those tight wooded shots and shots where I need the disc to change direction.

165 DX Viking- This disc is great for throwing into the wind. Works great in strong winds. It's the only disc I have found that gives me any control in strong winds

172 Sirius Orion LF- This disc is great because it starts out straight and fades hard to the left at the end of the flight. Works great when you need to go around something down the fairway.

172 Banshee- Works great as an overstable fairway driver. Very easy to make this disc go where you want. I find it works the best in tight wooded fairways for quick left turning shots.

162 L S Polaris- I use this disc for very tight wooded shots. This disc will fly very, very straight.

Midrange

170 Roc- Works great as a point and shoot midrange. Also will hyzer really well and will fade well for midrange shots.

169 Discraft Impact- I use this midrange for dead straight shots and tight wooded midrange shots. Goes very straight.

173- Star Coyote- I have found this disc to becoming very understable as it wears, so I use it as my understable midrange, and for anny shots. It works very well for this use.

Putting and Approach

167 Soft Magnet- All I can say is this disc is great. For shots 40ft to 125 ft, you just can't beat it. It is very accurate. I have made many, long putts with this disc.

174 Pro D Magnet- My main putter for shots 40ft in. I really like the way this disc feels in my hand, and it seems to get better with age.

172 Soft Magnet.- I carry this disc as a back up to my approach disc and my putter. In case I loose either one, this disc can fill the void. I decide to carry an extra putter, when I saw my brother putting on a hill, and he missed the basket and his putter rolled down the hill into a creek. He never got it back, so I figured a back up putter is a good thing to carry.

Other items in the bag:

Two towels. One to clean off the discs, and one for me to wipe off with.

First Aid kit- A must in the bag.

Soft Ball- Getting those stuck discs out of the tree.

Pep-to Bismol Pills- So you don't crap on yourself on the course

Alive Pills- For the pain

Markers and pens

Small Clip Board

Score Cards

Sun Block and bug repellent

Several Mini Markers

2 pencils.

2-32 oz drinks

I forgot to mention I carry a Dragon and a Hydra when I know I am going to be playing near water.

My Bag

Here's whats in my everyday bag:

Drivers
166g Star Wraith - Distance Driver, use it for any drive that requires a straight distance shot.
172g Star Orc - 2nd Distance Driver, this is my slightly overstable distance driver for skip shots or nice hyzers.
170g Star Destroyer - Turnover Driver, with a nice snap, about halfway through the flight, this thing just turns over and has finishes with a nice anyhyzer.
???g Champ Starfire - Use this for big hyzer shots, skips & spikes.
162g Star Beast - Roller and Turnover driver.
???g EliteZ Flick - Tomahawks and thumbers.

Fairway Drivers
150g Star Teebird - My go to driver, use this for just about anything, hyzers, anyhyzers, and especially straight shots.
171g Champ Eagle - Controlled hyzer shots.
167g Star TL - Flick shots and turnovers.

Midranges & Putters
175 Star Cro - Super versatile, any shot needed.
174g Champ Panther - Skip shots, and my go to for straight narrow drives.
175g Black Magic - The only putter I carry and use at the moment.

Extra Items
A couple minis for marking and RIPT
Small spiral notebook for keeping scores/notes
A couple towels
Handwarmers

Bag

Revolution Backpack

Drivers:

2 Star Max Weight Destroyers for distance, hyzers, sidearm.

2 Z Predators for overhand shots and headwinds.

Champ Wraith for distance turnover shots

Champ Sidewinder for rollers and certain turnover shots where I need to throw flat.

Champ Teebird for all lines and accurate fairway drives. Workhorse driver.

Champ Orc strictly for "get out of trouble" and approach overhands.

Midrange:

Z Buzzz: Main midrange disc.

Z Wasp for headwinds

Pro Pig serves as my putter driver, also is great for hyzering around trees for runs at the basket.

Putter:

Wizard

Extras

2 towels

Ript Cards

Several Minis

toenail clippers

sandpaper

sharpie

pencils

deoderant

rulebook

tennis ball

handwarmers

Beanie hat and nylon glove

Scorecard

Extra Carabiners

I have a standard Innova bag and it has the following items:
(I am right handed, throw sidearm/forehand until I'm down to 100')

167g Champ Starfire(I use this rarely on a couple of holes, don't always carry it)
167g DX Banshee(overstable)
167g DX Valk(long and straight, has that nice little right fade at the end)
167g DX Eagle(workhorse)
150g X-out Champ Sidewinder(understable and my get out of trouble special)
167g DX Leopard(understable)
147g DX Teebird(this could be overkill, but man this baby flies so beautifully I feel guilty leaving it in the car)

167g DX Roc(when you don't know what to throw, throw a Roc)
150g DX Stingray(left turn approach, sometimes I take this out and replace with a 167g DX Wolf)
171g Pro Pig(right turn approach)

171g Star Skeeter(my putting needs)

I also carry 4 minis, 2 sharpies, a scrap of paper, a towel, and always a bottle of Deer Park water, if playing with friends that Deer Park can be traded out for vodka or Miller High Life. It would be great to have a bigger bag to carry more but I think all it would do is confuse me.

Excellent Thread!

I throw RHBH exclusivley.

Disc Bag:
Innova Competition Bag w/BackSaver Straps.

Drivers:
174g Star TeeRex
17?g Champion Firebird
170g Champion Groove
172g Pro Wraith (Favorite Driver!)
172g DX Valkerie (New)
168g DX Valkerie (Old and very worn, turns over hard, roller disc only)
168g Champion Roadrunner (Favorite Turnover Driver, smooth anhyzer shots)
17?g Champion Monarch (Good for Turnovers, but always comes back)
175g IDyed Champion Starfire

Fairway Drivers:
175g KCPro Whippet
170g Champion Teebird
167g DX Eagle
175g Star Leopard
170g Star TL

Midrange:
178g DX Roc
176g DX Stingray
180g DX Roc
???g EliteX Breeze
169g DX Cro

Putters:
2 175g KCPro Aviar P&As

Also carry a couple of mini's, RIPT Revenge, snacks, and beverages (MtDew or water). Winter time, i keep some of those little warmer packs great for putting in the shoes to keep the feet warm or the front pocket of my pullover hooded sweatshirt to keep my hands warm between shots. Summertime, sunscreen!

Just Starting Out

I just started playing last year so my bag is constantly in flux as I learn and adjust my game. I am also trying to keep it simple. This is what I currently carry:

172 Star X-Caliber (Primary FH driver)
170 Star TeeRex (My first FH driver and still most reliable)
175 Champ TeeBird (FH driver, was encouraged to take a step down from faster drivers and try this one, haven't yet mastered it)
167 Champ Orc (Tomahawks and hard left turns)
174 XL (Primary BH driver, love how straight this one flies)
175 Snap Helios (just picked this one up recently, could be my primary BH driver soon)
174 Avenger ZZ (BH driver, considering taking this one out of my bag, doesn't fly as straight or as long as my other two BH drivers)
169 FLX Buzz (only mid-range I use)
167 DX Aviar (within 50 ft)

DRIVERS

174 Champion Teebird- 300'+ shots that require accuaracy
175 Star Destroyer(2)- One is beat in flys a mile, the other is new, used for for long headwind shots
174 ESP Pred- Controlled hyzers at around 350'

MIDRANGE

175 Champion Gator- Shorter controlled hyzers
180 Champion Cobra- My workhorse of my discs. I use it for anything over 250 wether its a hyzer
to an anhyzer
175 Star Cro- Sometimes in the bag

PUTTERS

175 12xKC Pro Aviar- Use for shorter drives 200'-250' and jump putts
175 SSS Wizard or 174 DX Aviar- Main putter
175 Star Avair- Drives 200'-300'
175 SSS Magic- Anhyer putter

BAG

Gorilla Boy- Squirrel Monkey- Orange

I find it so interesting the different combination of discs that everyone carries.

Also, if anyone has a question about a disc someone carries, feel free to ask. :)

Drivers

174g Champion Boss - Main driver for 350+ hyzers
175g Champion Boss - Backup main driver
175g Star Destroyer - Main forehand driver
175g Champion Groove - 350+ turnover/distance shots
175g Champion Teebird - Majority of Tommahawks/Thumbers and 250+ shots
173g ESP FLX XL - Used for tighter wooded drives, straight on shots

Midrange

178g ESP Buzz - Workhorse, straight shot midrange
175g Star Cro - Shorter midrange shots and tee offs 150 or less
172g DGA Shockwave - Used anytime I need to fade around a big obstacle or something

Putters

169g DX Birdie - Main putter, used on any open putt in headwinds
172g KC Pro Avair - Second putter used when putting with tail wind or sharp hyzers over small bushes/trees
174g Evolution Wizard - Used for longer putts/approach if not using midrange discs

some generic black tote bag.

rhbh thrower

172g pro beast: straight or mild left hand shots
177g #2 flyer: sharp hyzers. i swear this disc starts going backwards it fades so hard at the end
172g #2 slice: anything anhyzer
170g dx shark: tommy's and misc. approaches (still trying to figure this disc out)
171g (?) jk pro aviar-x: soft approaches
170 & 176g upshots: putts

also carry a towel, notepad to take notes for reviews, and a plastic bag to help with trash cleanup.

left over room goes towards beer storage.

Fade Tour Bag

Drivers-
Star Destroyer 168g - big drives with fade at the end
Pro Destroyer 171g - max distance
Champ Wraith 175g - tight hyzers, accurate disctance
Champ Wraith 175g - a tad worn in, straight, a little less glide than my other
Pro Beast 175g - big open drives, good if I have room for an s
Champ Beast 168g - rollers, big time turnovers
Champ Beast 169g - turnover driver

Fairway Drivers-
Champ Teebird 170g - straight, straight, straight.
Star Whippet 175g - very overstable, hyzers
Other Misc Whippets max weight - forehand rollers, overheads, anhyzer flicks.. it always anhyzers nicely and just glides down right where i want it to without going past the basket, awesome disc.

Mid-Range Drivers
Rocs - everything.. turnovers, hyzers, straight shots.. different wears (rancho, ontario, ect.)

Putt & Approach

Classic Aviar 175g - Putting
Aviar P&A 175g x2 - up to 150 ft. approaches, anhyzers, hyzers, jump putts

I sometimes might have some other misc discs that I'm trying out at the time

Accessories: Towels, Water, Mini Markers (I got through these too quickly..), sharpies, hand warmers, scorecards, this sweet watch that I can keep my score with, a golf ball or two that I've found while playing, some extra money

When I'm out for a casual round, I'll throw a mini marker in my back pocket, tuck in a microfiber towel, and carry three discs in my hand:
171 DX Sidewinder -- everything over about 175'
173 Dx Roc -- if it's less than 175'
175 JK Aviar-X -- putting

For more serious play, I'll toss the stuff above in a little sports bag and add three more:
150 Champ Sidewinder -- goes a little longer than the DX Sidewinder (if it's not windy)
176 Pro Cobra -- flies dead straight for tunnel shots
168 DX Cheetah -- for a sweet anhyser

If it's windy, substitute a 174 Star Eagle-X for the light Sidewinder
At the local course with the water hazards, substitute a beat Gazelle for the Cheetah

Drivers

Discraft Slipstream
Discraft Surgee SS FLX 166
Discraft Avenger ESP 167 (big hyzers)
Discraft Xpress Elite X (The long turnover disc)
Discraft XL ESP
Discraft Reaper pro-D (Sidearm disc)
Discraft Z Flick- 167 (Thumbers and Tommies)

Mid-range

Gateway Element- 172 E plastic (every drive under 275, anhyzer or straight)
Discraft Z Buzzz 171
Discraft Zone 174 ESP

Putters

Discraft Banger GT 173
Discraft Rattle

Bag in Transition

My bag is going through a trasition phase right now, so I'm not sure what some of the discs are gooing to do. These I will mark with "*".

Drivers:
Star Destroyer - Sidearm, left turning RHBH shots.
Star TL - Not as far turning shots
*Champion Groove - long straight shots?
DX Archangel - slightly right turning RHBH
Scream - Just for smashing into trees (can't get it to do anything else)

Mids:
Champion Ed. Panther - Annies
*New Buzzz-D - Straight long approaches?
*Soft Banger GT - shorter sidearms?
Beat in Buzzz-D - long putts, and general putter.

Putters:
*DX XD - New Putter, shorter range?
*Aerobie Arrow - ???????????

Other Items:
Mini - for looks
DGCR mini - Marker and site support.
DGCR travel tag - For trading
Scorecard
Pen
Sharpie
Calculator
Benadryl