• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What'd you switch to?

Bugz36984

Birdie Member
There may be a thread for this, but have no idea what to search for...

I throw 100% innova, simply because that's what I know, and what I started the game with. Threw a little discraft here and there, but didn't last very long except the hornet. Still a staple in the bag. Anways, with that being said, I want to know what you threw at one point and time, and what you switched to and why. Might give me an idea of what to check out! I havent thrown any prodigy, mvp, legacy, DD, nothing besides Innova and DC. Looking to improve my game, so wanna try some new plastic without buying every disc under the sun to test. LMK what changes you made that arent leading to innova or DC!

As probably 95% of all disc golfers, I started with all Innova too. They make great discs, but my time here on DGCR led me to try other stuff, and I soon discovered MVP. The Ion was a perfect fit for a little grippier KC Aviar, which I used to putt with exclusively. The Volt replaced the Teebird*, and Amp replaced the Sidewinder/Valkyrie. Tangent for Comet, and Axis for DX Roc. Tensor replaced the Zone, and Shock is my OS driver, when called upon. (I had moved to other companies before settling on all MVP)

There is one Innova disc that I have not found an equal to, and that is the DX Leopard. It will probably be in my bag as long as I play.

*I know the Volt is not the same as a Teebird, but for my noodle arm, it serves the same purpose.

I'd recommend switching from mostly one comapny b/c IMO there's no point in throwing all one company unless that company sponsors you. I'd say some good companies to check out would be DD, Lat 64, MVP, Prodigy (not there distance drivers though they seem to be very inconsistent), Gateway, Westside, DGA, Vibra, Discmania, Millennium, & ABC Discs. I'd recoomend staying away from Aerobie, Ching, Quest & Lightning but thats just my opinion. They're are many good discs from a lot of different companies that work for differnt people, so I recommend fondling different discs at local disc shop or when guys are selling discs at a park to see what you like. Also trying discs you've never throw that friends have can help you find new discs you may like. Also reading old threads/posting on here will help with finding the discs you want for certain slots in your bag. Here are just a few suggestions for molds that I find are very popular & work well from companies not Innova or Discraft...Wizard, Vector, Trespass, PD, Rival, River, Mace, Ghost, Ion, Ibex, Sword, PA4, Flying Squirrel, Shockwave & the list goes on. I personally throw all Innova & Discmania b/c thats what I know best & is what I've been using since my very first disc. I have tried A LOT of other discs from many many many companies but I just like to stick with what I'm used to.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys. As far as the PD goes, I tried the first runs out when everyone was making a big fuss, but I honestly didn't find them that great. I tried c line and s line. S line wasn't bad, great S shots, and the C pd wasn't as overstable as I expected. I threw my teebirds farther than the pds, and have teebirds for every shot, so had no use for them. My teebirds will probably be in the bag forever. As far as every other shot though, I am willing to check out.

I started with pretty much all Innova and my first discs were all given to me by various people. Then I got some Discraft to try their discs. Now I have a mix of Innova, Latitude 64, Discraft, and MVP. So I am trying whatever tickles my fancy and seeing what I like. Right now I am loving my Star Teebird and Z Buzzz.

Last edited:
Looks like you could have room in your bag for a Volt, and Tangent.

My first "real" bag - i.e. one built by knowledge rather than happenstance - was built around Voodoos, Comets, and Cyclones. I eventually gravitated to Latitude and Westside for my drivers because I found that their preference for smooth throws fit my game well; I can throw their drivers farther with accuracy than any other I've tried. They suit my game really well. Every time I try to introduce another company's driver to my bag, I find that the extra oomph required compared to the Euro companies messes with my throw. Excepting Banshees, of course, since they're all about the fade, and I like having a base plastic disc in my bag, for water holes if nothing else.

I moved onto the MVP mids because of their supreme controllability; I imagine I'd throw their drivers too if I had a bigger arm. The Tangent can hit the same lines as the Comet, but is much more easily ranged and fights wind way better. I'm so happy with these discs, and I'm finding that, like my drivers, having all of my mids be of the same company helps me with consistency, since they all like the same basic throw qualities and are built to compliment each other.

I moved onto Vibram putters because I love how the Medium and Soft catches the chains. I could probably find a Voodoo out there somewhere that is as floppy as a Soft X-link, but it'd be a lot of work to do so. Vibram's consistent feel, supreme durability, and awesome grip have had me sold on their putters since day one. If I were to try a different putter out, I'd stick within Vibram, since I love their rubber so much for grip and how it hits the chains. The fact that the VP is such an awesome approach disc is just a bonus.

All that being said, I of course have a list of discs I'd like to try at some point, just to see what the hype is all about if for no other reason. But my bag, and especially the place of each company in each slot, feels quite settled at the moment. For having only played a year, I think I'm doing pretty well with resisting the urge to try out everything under the sun. :D

Last edited:
Looks like you could have room in your bag for a Volt, and Tangent.
I recently got a Proton Tangent and I find myself reaching for it constantly. I still haven't figured it out completely but it is very useful in many situations. I made a nice mid range shot with it today.

I was an all Innova man for years. 10 to be exact. Then A buddy introduced me to a Buzzz from Discraft and I instantly dropped my Rocs. I threw a mix of Innova and Discraft for a while too. Since then I've branched out to different companies because of all the Info at my hands now. I didn't have this type of info back in 1998. lol

Since then I've found these companies to be my favorites as they have discs that fit the bill for me.

Innova - Tern,Polecat

Discmania - PD(Freak)

Latitude 64 - Saint,River,Trident,XXX,Fuse and Pure

Discraft - Wasp,Buzzz and Zone

Gateway - Voodoo

I've been doing some bag construction at the moment,lucky enough to have the whole spring and summer to really experiment. So far My bag is pretty much where it needs to be. The only thing that probably needs to be changed is the Wasp to a Hornet. Gonna try one to see if I like it.

Oh and that's another thing. I may be biased,but After throwing lots of companies midranges I can 100% say that discraft makes the best mids in the business.

Oh yeah one more thing. MVP is fun to mess around with on days where you are just having a goof off round with friends. So you could try MVP too. :thmbup:

In terms of plastic, you MUST check out Latitude 64's Gold Line (also called Tournament plastic for the Westside line), it's just so amazing feeling. Another disc I like based on plastic alone are the MVP Soft Neutron Ions that Dynamic Discs has (or had?), either way MVP soft Neutron is good good stuff.

For different molds I know that are like the ones in your signature;
Firebird - can't really think of anything except the DGA Tsunami and even then, you'd be reaching to compare the two. Flat Champion FBs are basically irreplaceable (like how people feel about Teebirds but it's actually true here)
Destroyer - I never really had the arm for a Destroyer, but I do remember some people saying the Prodigy D2 is pretty close, I sold a friend a Prodiscus LEGENDa without ever throwing it and he said it was fighting his CFR Metal Flake Destroyer for spot in his bag.
Wraith - This one is actually pretty easy, Westside VIP Boatman. I used Wraiths for RHFH and the VIP Boatman was so much better for it. If you like the Wraith for a backhand disc, try a Tournament Boatman.
Valkyrie - closest thing I've ever thrown was an MVP Amp, but i've thrown so many different Valks that feel and throw differently (4x, 5x, DX, Star, etc) another option here might be a Millenium Orion LS, but I never clicked with the LS version, I've always preferred the Orion LF (which is nothing like a Valkyrie)
Teebird - i've never found a disc to be enough like a Teebird to replace the exact line, but a lot of my friends have switched to the Legacy Rival for this slot in their bags. I can't stress how great I think Legacy is enough.
Shark 3 - never even thrown one, someone else is going to have to tackle this one, didn't even care for the first Shark mold.
Roc - I replaced Rocs with an MVP Vector or three (those first run Vectors are AMAZING), but they might be a touch less stable than some of the Rocs I've thrown. A Legacy Ghost might also be able to do the job here.
Pig - There isn't really anything I can think of that would fill the exact role of the Pig. I know about how good the Pro Pig is and how it feels. The r-pro pigs however, are trash, if you want something almost like a Pig but not quite, try a Latitude 64 Sinus.
Aviar - If you're talking about the Aviar P&A, I think the Discmania P1 or P2 is exactly the same disc. Otherwise you might want to check out the Latitude 64 Mercy or the MVP Ion.

I started with Innova and Discraft.. I still use Discraft but MVP has taken over my bags. Latitude 64 and I spent some quality time together but I had to end it. My heart belongs to the other two companies. Well more so MVP and Discraft's Buzzz.

I started almost all innova and now throw almost all Legacy. If you like teebird a, then you owe it to yourself to check out a Rival. They come out very flat and are really comfortable to grip and rip. the Patriot is IMO the best most under the radar disc out there. And Ghosts are pretty much Roc clones, except the premium plastic you can get them in is really nice and grippy. Pinnacle Ghosts are getting widely released next week, and if you are a Roc guy, then I would highly recommend one. My Pinnacle is very controllable for any midrange shot

Started mostly Innova with some Discraft. Went through a big Lat64/Westside phase for my first "real" planned out bag. Tried some Prodigy, DD, MVP, Legacy in the last year as well.

My current bag is pretty mixed and will stay that way even as things cycle in and out. I usually have at least one disc by another company I could slot in and see little to no difference. I like trying stuff and if it doesn't hurt your game I see no reason to stay stagnant.

I was all innova because the rating charts were the easiest to figure out
Now I use (with a couple of exceptions)
Gateway putters
Discraft mids
Lat64 fairway/control drivers
Mixed high speed drivers

i started with innova - moved to discraft and then saw the beautiful lat64 plastic.

after that, i moved to all lat64. then i figured out that's not really the best idea. so then i formed a mixed bag, and that's been working wonderfully for me.

lat64 pure and fuse, mvp axis and tensor, discmania PD, legacy patriot, DGA breaker and tsunami.

At one point, I had a very eclectic bag, with probably 6 or 7 different manufacturers (Innova, Discraft, MVP, Gateway, Latitude, Discmania, Vibram).

But a pattern began to emerge.... I was throwing all the Latitude discs further and more accurately. It happened first with the River, then the Saint and Diamond. As I added more Lat64 plastic, some of the other companies started to phase out.

Now I have about 7 Latitude molds and then some Innova and MVP. Sometimes I carry a Comet, sometime an Obex. But most of my throws are one of the Latitude discs. They just seem to suit me best.

I still want to try out new stuff, but it's less of an itch than it was this time last year.

Try them all, use what you like.

I started playing with all Innova, then I switched to a bunch of DC, then Westside/Lat 64, then Prodigy, and most recently Legacy. After all this switching I can say I have finally found the mixed bag of choice for me. It just took a long time.

Latest posts