• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats an ace race?

I've never played in one, but I'll explain it the way it was explained to me.

It is basically a tournament with prototype mid-range style discs that you get for entering the tournament. You play from shortened tees that make an ace more likely or more easily attainable. The whole point is to see who can get the most aces. If there is a tie, then it goes to the number of pole/cage hits. You only throw one shot from the tee, no putting is involved, it isn't about scoring, but scoring the most number of aces.

This is the way I understand it to work, if anyone knows more about it, feel free to add/change info as necessary!

Hope this helps.

I've also heard it in alot of reviews in reference to courses that have alot of short holes, <200 or 150 ft.

I know I refer to short holes as ace runs a lot, just talking about holes that give most players a pretty good shot at the basket. The ace race description tamahawk gave above is right on, though this year's prototype disc was a putter rather than a midrange.

I've also heard it in alot of reviews in reference to courses that have alot of short holes, <200 or 150 ft.

I'm pretty sure you mean ace run (holes that are short and easily aceable) not Ace Race (specific name for a Discraft sponsored competition)

I like the idea of the Ace Race. Sounds like a lot of fun. However, I don't throw Discraft so it makes no sense for me to spend the money on the new prototype discs and equipment (visor and mini) that I will never use.

I like the idea of the Ace Race. Sounds like a lot of fun. However, I don't throw Discraft so it makes no sense for me to spend the money on the new prototype discs and equipment (visor and mini) that I will never use.

The fun factor is well worth the $25.......... and the discs you could always give to a newby you meet on the course.

What? Do you have a sponsor from one of the other disc manufacturers or own stock?

I actually use mostly Innova but I do have some Discraft discs. Its just a matter of what looks like it will do what I want on how I decide but after a few new Discrafts comming at the same time as some new Innova discs, the plastic quality Discraft has over Innova is visible. I might actually start trying to find Discraft specifically that might work for what I want because of this.

Back in the mid 90's, after I developed a proposal, the Ann Arbor club began an annual Ace Race tourney, held each year on a local course that was Ace friendly. We always had the event on the day after turkey day, since only shoppers had anything else to do that day except digest. It was $10 a person and all that really counted were aces. Donations of discs and other schwag was used to pay off "dots," (hitting metal) but only the folks hitting aces got the cash. We started with twenty-eight folks and eventually we were getting crowds well over 100. Ace runs only, no putts. Two rounds, 36 holes only. Way fun. The course was pulled during park maintenance a few years ago and the event moved elsewhere, but it hasn't been as fun. Discraft was an early supporter, each year we'd get from them a nice box of discs to add to the dot pot. The Discraft ace races are an interesting spin on the same idea, although there's no big cash payout for the winners.

Joe

If your objection to participating in a local Ace Race is spending $25 for a couple prototype discs you'll probably never use, let me mention I've found the discs from the last couple years to be excellent trade bait. Some people really like the stamps and I don't believe last year's Nebula has gone into general production yet.

They are a lot of fun. You should go.

First off, I am not sponsored. Far from it actually. I just really like Innova. I am familiar with all of their dics and plastic so I understand what works for me and what doesn't. I don't want to start messing with other brands and having to figure out all the differences for them too. Plus, Innova has been a big supporter of disc golf in So Cal so I have some loyalty there.

I think I may end up giving the Ace Race a try and then seeing if I can unload those new discs in a trade or for a few bucks. The fun factor is persuasive. So in advance of the event... Anyone interested in a few Ace Race discs?

lol Fair enough flash. Just hope you dont fall in love with the discs you use for the Ace Race.

Latest posts