• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's Holding Disc Golf Back

The X-Game analogy is often tossed in, but it strikes me as a poor one.

Some of these activities draw participants, seemingly all young men, due in part to the excitement and adrenaline rush. These provide a base audience. We might draw the same players, but certainly not for the same reasons.

These draw outside spectators, in part to watch daredevils doing things the spectators wouldn't dare try---or would no longer dare try. Hard to see disc golf having the same appeal.

Sure, there's a lot more to it than that---but the fact that X-games draw spectators, in spite of, or even because of, their dress and consumption habits, seems to me to have no bearing on whether disc golf might draw large number of spectators, regardless of our image.

Some of these activities draw participants, seemingly all young men, due in part to the excitement and adrenaline rush. These provide a base audience. We might draw the same players, but certainly not for the same reasons.

These draw outside spectators, in part to watch daredevils doing things the spectators wouldn't dare try---or would no longer dare try. Hard to see disc golf having the same appeal.

Sure, there's a lot more to it than that---but the fact that X-games draw spectators, in spite of, or even because of, their dress and consumption habits, seems to me to have no bearing on whether disc golf might draw large number of spectators, regardless of our image.

Part of the draw of the X-Games is the element of danger. The chance to see a spectacular wipeout draws a large number of viewers. The chance that someone might get hit by an errant disc just doesn't seem to have the same appeal...

Maybe we should litter the fairways with pregnant women?

....in bikinis....

and they smoke.

and have mohawks.

There's no denying the sport's growing in popularity. The number of disc manufacturers seems to be growing every year, new molds emerging, and the only way these companies can stay afloat is... sales. And while lots of us buy more platsic than we need, I can't believe more companies can thrive on the same core group of individuals buying more plastic all the time.

That being said, I just don't see the sport going "mainstream" any time soon, if at all during my lifetime. Then again, I sure as hell didn't foresee Snow Boarding becoming an Olympice event (not that I expect any DG'er will get the chance to shed a tear while listening to their national anthem while their country's flag is being hoisted).

78% of all statistics are made up on the spot...
... aactually, it's 66.7% :p

Good point. I don't want to have to call ahead to the course to setup a tee time.

One question. Why do people always say "90% of people don't know what disc golf is." Don't just make up numbers. After long thought, I'd say AT LEAST 50% of people I talk to know what it is, might have never played, but know. Just a peeve of mine...

MN is a unique area. the short time i lived up there i met very few people who hadnt heard of DG. here in IL we still have to go explain to the soccer d-bags that they cant camp out on the baskets and that they are for disc golf. we always get a 'whats that?'. my personal favorite is when they tell you to just play through and that first disc comes crashing in next to them and they get real nervous and back off. 90% is actually prolly a very close number to the truth.
for instance at my current job there is 20 some employees, i am the only one who has played it and 2 other people had heard of it. small pool sample what somewhat representative.

DG is growning and changing and will continue to grow. The current wave here in MN seems to be that long lines on public courses are encouraging the growth of pay-per-play. It is a good thing and will accomplish what needs to happen. I never understood the people that say it has to remain free to get popular, like what? Snowboarding? Surfing? Hockey? You could maybe say Basketball or Tennis but even they are very expensive to get in on at the competitve level.

It is nice to have free options available and I am sure they wil remain, much like the basketball hoop at the school court. Better kept up courses, due to fees, and more amenities along with coaches (something sorely lacking atm) will get a more varied crossection of people playing.

Nothing is holding disc golf back. Its growing by leaps and bounds. More and more companies getting involved. New courses everywhere. More tourneys with ever bigger purses. People who think the sport is being held back are:
1. way too impatient, or
2. blind to what's going on around them, or
3. both

This is blunt perhaps but I agree

I've seen alot of crazy redneck shiz on the course, including pregnant women (those midwestern chicks are tough!), And woman smokers, but pregnant, women smokers in bikinis, with mohawks, now thats just to much!

Last edited:
First you destroy Pinkie and turn him into a bag tag, now you are telling people to set themselves on fire.
Modz please ban this ass hat.

I know, I'm still smarting from not getting into the pinkie thread before the lock.

Sorry if you thought I was trying to compare the two sports. My reason for bringing up x games is the way people dress. The original poster feels that the way people dress is discouraging potential sponsors. If that were true then x-games and a host of other sponsored events(rock concerts) would not have sponsors.

I can't believe that Innova and Discraft don't make mad money, (they have a lot of mine), so I can't believe that money is a huge issue for companies. If Nike decided to make their own disc line, you can't tell me they wouldn't get away with 25$ - 30$ a disc and have people cuing up to buy the new big name disc. Hell, Innova sold a ton of speed 13 discs to newbs and noodle arms so why couldn't a company with mucho grande (exact figure there) reputation in the sporting world turn a profit? Bolf covers more physical space and is seen by many as an elitist activity, and yet it still has become a huge financial success. Woods or no woods, (trees not Tiger), it wouldn't be that tough to get good camera views of a pro's entire shot from release to landing. If they can follow a tiny white ball over 350 yards, they can follow a blue disc between several trees. While I do agree with Scarpfish is principal, and wish him nothing but fire free days ahead, I can't believe that a sport growing 15 - 20% a year is not going to end up alongside of bolf in terms of popularity, financial opportunity, and coverage, and frankly, it'll be a great day in my world when I can relax in my chair and watch the PDGA world championship on the tube.:popcorn:

Maybe I am impatient. The sport has been around for 40 years and we still can't get past the general perception of the public that disc golf is a hobby for lazy pot-smoking hippies. Worse yet, after 40 years of growth, 90% of people still have never heard of it.

If 90% of people have never heard of dg, how can they possibly have a perception of the people that play it?

I've been playing this sport for over 30 years, and the pot-smoking hippies stereotype may have been true back in the day, but these players have been displaced by more mainstream people, along with the stereotype.

Remind me to take MD off of my course wish list!

I am, of course, joking!

If 90% of people have never heard of dg, how can they possibly have a perception of the people that play it?

I've been playing this sport for over 30 years, and the pot-smoking hippies stereotype may have been true back in the day, but these players have been displaced by more mainstream people, along with the stereotype.

I have to disagree. While the percentage of pot head players is less, I still pass many groups that have to stop for a "break". The sterotypical image of a disc golfer is still a half baked Jeff Bridges impersonator. I am not debating illegal (or for a few people legal) drug use, some of the coolest players I have meet on this forum do not play without a little "break"
the negative image is still associated with the sport, but as it get more and more positive press I think it will be viewed as a cheap family activity. I do not think it will ever be viewed as a serious sport.

Remind me to take MD off of my course wish list!

I am, of course, joking!

What are you talking about?

I have to disagree. While the percentage of pot head players is less, I still pass many groups that have to stop for a "break". The sterotypical image of a disc golfer is still a half baked Jeff Bridges impersonator. I am not debating illegal (or for a few people legal) drug use, some of the coolest players I have meet on this forum do not play without a little "break"
the negative image is still associated with the sport, but as it get more and more positive press I think it will be viewed as a cheap family activity. I do not think it will ever be viewed as a serious sport.

What are you talking about?

The dude said that there wasn't hippy/stoners on the MD courses any more!

Latest posts