• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats in a few grams?

As for the original question about weight, it seems to me that it's just a matter of having more or less mass to turn over.

Wouldnt that make the weights marked on there ridiculously innacurate. if you were to weigh a 166g and a 174g the total weight would be 340g or 170g on each disc, which is 4g off. Granted, with more discs the average weight would get more accurate ... but they could still be very inaccurate.

thats what i was thinking to so idk. i'll try to find that web site again so you can check it out. i think that would be really stupid if thats what they did

I'll chime in a bit:

As for weight, I think many people go about picking weights the wrong way. IMO you should choose a disc and a weight that flies well for your power range. It sounds simple, but many times people choose discs outside their power range and then try to compensate by choosing lighter weights. It will also minimize the difference you see in small changes in weight. If you get a disc that's a bit too heavy it just won't fly quite as far and if it's too light, it will be slightly harder to control. Both of those differences will be minor and easily adjusted for. In other words, pick your weight and then forget about it. There are much bigger things to worry about as long as you're relatively close.

As for spin, I think it's interesting to think about and discuss, but changing the amount of spin you put on a disc to change the flight is nearly impossible for most cases. You need a big change to get a different flight path. Chances are you're actually changing something else when you try to adjust spin. Fixing the amount of spin you put on a disc will resolve itself if you just work on proper technique. The one exception to this is for shorter approach shots. It's definitely possible to adjust how much spin you put on a disc at short to moderate "catch" type distances.

All things being equal, lighter discs flip easier. The trick is to keep all things equal. I read on another forum that even color affects stability.

Absolutely TRUE!(The Color comment especially)
And you NEVER believe what the ink pen(OR however your disc is marked)When it comes to the actual weight.
This is funny.
I marked a disc as a heavy and gave it to a guy to throw once.
He NEVER realized to diffrence.
I was just checking out the mental side of it.
It was only a few grams lighter than it said.And NO I didn't take his money LOL.

And you NEVER believe what the ink pen(OR however your disc is marked)When it comes to the actual weight.

This stuff makes me wonder if the manufacturers check the calibration on their scales often enough. :(

Spin, Weight, and Power

I agree with tiger from a few posts back about spin and weight of the disc, but let me also chime in about the power factor....Using the disc chart from gottagogottathrow.com discs are put into 5 power cataories..1 being low (putters), and 5 being high (drivers). There are drivers down in the 2 range (ace, raven, maximizer) and discs like the zephyr (which I think is a putter) in the 3 range.

That being said I can throw my Archangel, TL, and Sidewinder RHBH (all power 3's) about 300 ft striaght down the middle, but using my Destroyer (power 5) it goes way off to the left. If I throw these disc sidearm (which generates more snap) all the power 3 discs turnover, while the power 5 disc goes stright about 320'. I've also thrown 3 different weight Monarchs 1. 175g faded hard left, 2. 165g went far and straight, and 3. 159g turned over about 150' out and rolled for another 100' before stopping.

My brother-in-law just starting out, throws my heavy wieght wolf and #2 Upshot (both power 1's) exactly like they are supposed to fly (which I could never do), but he can't throw my 147g Leopard (power 3) worth a lick.

So while I think spin and weight do affect the disc, I think you also need to look at the power rating required for the disc. I found I need to go down in power, but not in weight on the discs for RHBH, and stay with bigger power discs for sidearm, also my bro-in-law needs to go down in power, until maybe he can generate more spin.