• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's more important: Spin or speed?

If you hold the head of the hammer and throw it, the hammer will not spin.

What an incredibly inefficient way to throw a hammer ... and I'm still not sure that's correct (unless you're throwing it straight down; then aerodynamics might keep it straight).

There's a reason not many knuckle-ball pitchers make it to the big leagues. Just sayin.

I'm pretty sure that Thor's hammer is magical. If I ever find a disc crafted by the gods, I'll be sure to let everyone know, so we can stop throwing discs with silly spin, and just let their will take them to the target.

Beginner's luck?

Thank you for all the comments. As usual...good stuff. Yah..overall..lesson learned. But wish I could record that guy back hand flicking that disc 350. Yep..he hyzer flips it to straight and it just goes. The guy is killer accurate in low ceiling tunnel shots. lol...

I recently took my 17 yr. old nephew baseball player out for his first round. He was throwing it this way and immediately out-throwing me on a regular basis...thank goodness he couldn't putt to save his life.

What an incredibly inefficient way to throw a hammer ... and I'm still not sure that's correct (unless you're throwing it straight down; then aerodynamics might keep it straight).

There's a reason not many knuckle-ball pitchers make it to the big leagues. Just sayin.

I'm pretty sure that Thor's hammer is magical. If I ever find a disc crafted by the gods, I'll be sure to let everyone know, so we can stop throwing discs with silly spin, and just let their will take them to the target.

I'm guessing if I spin around like an Olympian hammer thrower, and release the hammer head first with no spinning...it just might go further. :popcorn:

What an incredibly inefficient way to throw a hammer ... and I'm still not sure that's correct (unless you're throwing it straight down; then aerodynamics might keep it straight)....

Indeed, but efficiency was not part of the discussion. This comment was made;

"I don't believe you can really throw a hammer without it continuing to spin".

Well, I believe! Try it. :D

If you hold the head of the hammer and throw it, the hammer will not spin.
No, quite the opposite, it spins faster, much faster, and won't go nearly as far thrown the same. Throwing a hammer holding the heavy end is like pulling in the arms of a figure skater as the weight is centered closer to the lever or axis. Like I said a few posts ago, the heavier the head end(outer end), the slower it spins. But the heavier the momentum of the head end, the more unstoppable it is, like the Juggernaut in X-men picking up speed. That is why Thor or his hammer doesn't appear to spin, it does but takes much longer to rotate. As Thor whirls the hammer around with his arm, the hammer picks up speed and momentum(not spin), to the hammer the speed/momentum is linear but it's observed circular. Once released like a ball on a string it's so heavy and generates massive enough momentum to leave earth faster than the speed of light and take Thor with it. If Thor put extra spin on the hammer where it and he spun end over end he would have wasted trajectory speed, distance, possibly yanked the trajectory, and made himself dizzy. :sick:

No, quite the opposite, it spins faster, much faster, and won't go nearly as far thrown the same...

Well, I just went outside and threw my 3 lb sledge with the 14" handle. I wrapped my fingers around the head and threw it over hand, not unlike a baseball pitch. It went an embarrassingly short distance, during which time it did not spin. It did not appear to rotate or shift off its flight axis at all. So, maybe you and I have different head first hammer throwing styles.

Now I have to get my metal detector out or wait until the snow melts to find it.

Well, I just went outside and threw my 3 lb sledge with the 14" handle. I wrapped my fingers around the head and threw it over hand, not unlike a baseball pitch. It went an embarrassingly short distance, during which time it did not spin. It did not appear to rotate or shift off its flight axis at all. So, maybe you and I have different head first hammer throwing styles.

Now I have to get my metal detector out or wait until the snow melts to find it.
So you are shot putting it instead of levering the far end like an Olympic hammer thrower? It doesn't appear to spin because you didn't throw it far enough and generate enough momentum to see it spin before it hits the ground. If you could get near the same distance/generate same amount of momentum you would see it rotate.

I'm guessing if I spin around like an Olympian hammer thrower, and release the hammer head first with no spinning...it just might go further. :popcorn:

I don't think I understand. You want to throw a hammer just like the pros? I'm guessing that the way they throw it is very efficient. They have quite a bit of spin on them, though.

AFTC's 2nd Post in thread says it all

As Distance increases, Speed and Spin both increase.
Snap is a combination of speed and spin!

But if your speed isn't X mph (60?), you won't throw 400' no matter how much spin is on it.

Once you max out your arm speed/launch velocity, more spin will yield slightly more distance since the disc will fly more understable.

Once you max out your arm speed/launch velocity, more spin will yield slightly more distance since the disc will fly more understable.
Not true. Spin stabilizes the disc. Adding spin at the cost of launch velocity doesn't really add distance, it makes it more resistance to change angle. Speeding past the disc's aerodynamic spin stabilization ratio is what causes the disc to flip or act understable. Spin doesn't generate lift to keep it in the air, speed does.

So you are shot putting it instead of levering the far end like an Olympic hammer thrower? It doesn't appear to spin because you didn't throw it far enough and generate enough momentum to see it spin before it hits the ground. If you could get near the same distance/generate same amount of momentum you would see it rotate.

Nope, I'm not shot putting nor am I throwing it like an Olympic hammer thrower.

I'm holding the head of the hammer in my fist with the handle sticking out behind my hand. The head leaves my hand first and drags the handle along behind in in a straight line with no rotation.

How far do I have to throw it to see it spin?

Nope, I'm not shot putting nor am I throwing it like an Olympic hammer thrower.

I'm holding the head of the hammer in my fist with the handle sticking out behind my hand. The head leaves my hand first and drags the handle along behind in in a straight line with no rotation.

How far do I have to throw it to see it spin?
Like a football or Javelin? Spins in the axis perpendicular to the velocity to stabilize it. Same principles apply about heavy head end taking longer and more momentum to spin. A javelin has a much lighter head end(and better balanced shaft) and spins faster requiring less momentum and has obvious aerodynamic advantage. If you turn the hammer around and throw it the same way, you will see it spin.

Agree 100%. Doesn't spin increase along with speed? Not at the same relative rate of course.
This may be semantics.
Not necessarily. It depends on the length of the arc. Given the same arc length it should increase relatively. More bend in the elbow shortens the arc, putting more angular momentum on it. Straighter elbow creates a longer arc and more speed. It's like a small tire and a large tire on the same axel, the large tire will move faster and create a larger arc. Or small tires on the front axel vs large tires on the rear axel, the small tires will have to go 70mph(rotate faster) to keep up with the large tires going 60mph.

in order to throw a hammer far, you calculate how to spin it in order to propel it forward. I'm a carpenter, and I've thrown lots of hammers.
Bring a calculator. :) You just feel the weight of the hammer head and throw it or swing it's momentum forward.

I don't think I understand. You want to throw a hammer just like the pros? I'm guessing that the way they throw it is very efficient. They have quite a bit of spin on them, though.

Yes. The idea was to compare a hammer moving through the air spinning or just moving head first with no spin. I'm guessing If I throw it like they do in the hammer throw in the olympics, it will go father than throwing it overhead and spinning, etc.

Yes. The idea was to compare a hammer moving through the air spinning or just moving head first with no spin. I'm guessing If I throw it like they do in the hammer throw in the olympics, it will go father than throwing it overhead and spinning, etc.
It's going to spin any way you throw it. Once you create an arc during a throw like bending your wrist or elbow or swinging your arm from your shoulder or you spinning around, that arc transfers to spin on the object when released. Newton has this the law of conservation of angular momentum. A hammer doesn't care about aerodynamics, you want it to have momentum to go far and it will spin. The Olympic hammer throws (ball on string) the balls are spinning in the air. There is a reason the overhand throw in Ultimate is called a hammer, because it's like throwing a hammer or hatchet/tomahawk and it is efficient at making the frisbee go far and spin, but it's still the same physics to throw BH or FH. The main difference between a hammer and frisbee is that a frisbee or disc is much shorter lever, lighter mass, balanced shaft, and does care about aerodymics, compared to a hammer and so it will spin much faster given the same throwing mechanics and spin on axis to the velocity for aerodynamic reasons.

Latest posts