• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Whats Next For Blizzards?

im not normally a boss fan but i threw a blizzard boss today and it was going an easy 40ft further than my normal weight discs other than vulcans consistantly. im gonna have to swoop up some blizzard destroyers and give them a shot since i prefer the destroyer

So what kind of gains are you mvp lovers getting?
....And i dont mean mumbo jumbo words, i mean distance vs a wizard.

While I do agree that it is a little ot I think its important because were discussing new ideas and innovations. I think its absurd that people are saying blizzard does nothing, I've witnessed many a throw with them where people flat out saw distance increases plus a high rated player up here in mi who I won't name regularly reaches 500ft and beyond who i play with sees gains with blizzard and for the most part:) destroyers and bosses hold up to the power. I also appreciate the added grip on certain molds/ color. The stuff works.

However, I don't like seeing mvp products lumped into the same class as blizzard, people are not seeing the dramatic results and tbh nobody has shown that gyro actually does anything. I am not saying the molds are bad, nor the company. As I've asked before has anyone weighed the rim compared to an equal mold? I'd like to see them try to mold an ion with just the exterior plastic if that at all possible or a mid with just the interior so they escape the stigma of being gimmicky.

I think with a lot of new tech coming out people are going to compare company's direction to others and with innovas blizzard its so in your face obvious that it does what it advertises people can't help but criticize others. I think blizzard will be copied by other manufacturers because wrong or right the sport is grown on distance. He who makes the most distance sells the most plastic.

You guys don't read, do you? We've said over and over how Gyro is a benefit. I'll give you a short answer, but if you want a long answer ask Discspeed.

The Gyro makes the disc keep spinning longer, adding glide, which adds distance. Also, although I'm not sure exactly why this is, the overmold causes the disc to fade forward rather than to the side. Rather than cutting back to the side like a lot of overstable stuff, Vectors/Ions keep moving forward while they fade. Also, the Gyro makes the discs really HSS. They will hold a straight line no matter how hard they are thrown. As Ions/Vectors beat in, they don't start turning, they start fading less and later.

As for actual distances vs. Wizards, I can't tell you. I lost my Wizard before I got my Ions. I can definitely throw my Ions much farther than I threw my Wizard, but that is both because of the Ions themselves and because my form has improved. Ask Mike C about distance versus Wizards. He could tell you.

Regarding the innovation of "new" gyroscopic discs:

Dave Dunipace of INNOVA invented the beveled edge or triangular rimmed disc in 1983. The beveled edge specifically added weight to the disc. And more specifically to the rim of the disc to make it behave more gyroscopicly. Which in turn allowed players added control and distance.

Here is wording from the original patent: http://www.scribd.com/priorsmart/d/30634670-Flying-disc-US-patent-4568297

The triangular rim configuration provides a reduced aerodynamic drag, while at the same time providing increased weight at the rim and improved gyroscopic stability.

and also:

...This last effect increases stability at high speeds. Discs generally tend to turn over when thrown faster, and the new design compensates by changing aerodynamic configuration as the speed at which it is thrown changes.

Accordingly, it is an object of the present invention to provide a new and improved flying disc formed in a single piece and closely resembling the basic flying disc and retaining the true flight capabilities of the basic disc, while providing aerodynamic shape and mass distribution of the disc.

It is an object of the invention to provide a new and improved flying disc with high rim mass for more gyroscopic and stabilizing force, and providing the center of mass between the upper and lower planes of the disc for stable flight configuration in various wind conditions. A further object of the invention is to provide such a flying disc with a triangular rim configuration with an outward rounded corner providing lower aerodynamic resistance and smooth air flow. An additional object is to provide such a flying disc which achieves the desired performance characteristics without requiring high density plastic materials, and permitting the disc to be made of a relatively flexible plastic.

Again, Dave Dunipace was at the forefront of gyroscopic innovation in disc design nearly 30 years ago.

You guys don't read, do you? We've said over and over how Gyro is a benefit. I'll give you a short answer, but if you want a long answer ask Discspeed.

I don't need an answer from anyone, I don't believe in group think.. people in this post are discussing something that actually does something and something that supposedly does something. Yes there is more weight on the rim of an ion which makes it gyroscopic, but there is weight on the rim of every golf disc. What if the rim doesn't weight more? does it lose it's fabled pixie glide? This is all starting to sound like a sales pitch... It does magical things that other frisbees cannot do because they are not it.. i'm going to cut the top out of one and weigh it, part of me hopes it weighs less...

all the while blizzard has such a noticeable change its like getting punched in the mouth. Want gains? you got em.

By the way... if MVP went back to supermans i'd probably be using them.

I don't need an answer from anyone, I don't believe in group think.. people in this post are discussing something that actually does something and something that supposedly does something. Yes there is more weight on the rim of an ion which makes it gyroscopic, but there is weight on the rim of every golf disc. What if the rim doesn't weight more? does it lose it's fabled pixie glide? This is all starting to sound like a sales pitch... It does magical things that other frisbees cannot do because they are not it.. i'm going to cut the top out of one and weigh it, part of me hopes it weighs less...

all the while blizzard has such a noticeable change its like getting punched in the mouth. Want gains? you got em.

By the way... if MVP went back to supermans i'd probably be using them.

i agree with some of what this guy is saying. blizzard discs are going further while mvp "gyro" is somewhat of a theory that will make it go further. personally, i didnt see any distance differences between ion/wizard/aviar or axis/roc. but i do love how true mvp discs seem to fly. i know alot of guys on here are saying ions fly further than their buzz/roc/whatever but i just dont see it. i still havent seen any proof from mvp(unless you call their sales pitch on FB proof) that gyro actually makes their discs more gyro scopic than any others. i also dont really know how you could ever prove that. perhaps we need a mvp/blizzard hybrid.

Whats Next For Blizzards? they get remelted down and molded back into normal discs that serve a purpose

Good gravy do people need to calm down. I don't understand half of what the actual issues being argues on this thread are even about! Sounds to me like everyone is pretty much in agreement on a couple things but are in crazed opposition over some others. The way I figure, the basic idea of wide-rimmed drivers in the first place is to allocate a larger percentage of the discs total mass as far outwards as possible. While still being aerodynamic, obviously. As the rims got wider, the discs had to be heavier in order to work. But that meant they were more difficult to throw. Blizzard technology fixed that and gave us wide rimmed, already gyroscopic molds, just in lower weights. It's still the same ratio of weight distribution in blizzard stuff, just overall lighter and therefore easier to throw. what MVP did was try to take the advantages that come along with having a larger percentage of a discs mass at the rim and apply it to molds that otherwise couldn't get that advantage. It seems like sound science to me and I have seen enough of a difference with both types of products to believe its legit. so I guess I just don't know what we're yelling about.

Blizzard Star?

Funny, I thought the same thing!

I have to say I am a huge fan of my Blizzard Wraith at 138g. I can throw it farther than anything else I own. (Pro Wraiths, 150 DX Wraiths, Visions, Astras, Valks...)

My biggest surprise was how it holds up in pretty strong head winds. A little hyzer and some height and it soars, yet does not flip and roll, and it always fades back at the end.

And it floats in water! Pretty amazing disc. I was skeptical at first and really got one just because the bubbles looked cool, but it has easily exceeded my expectations.

I probably won't get other molds, but I can definitely see others using them.

Whats Next For Blizzards? they get remelted down and molded back into normal discs that serve a purpose

8 years of playing, and still blissfully ignorant? Sad. So sad.

I really hope all the idiots who hate on Blizzards never get smart and start throwing them. It's easy to see this things are amazing, but if you're blind deaf and dumb, feel free to continue not improving and living in the dark ages.

8 years of playing, and still blissfully ignorant? Sad. So sad.

I really hope all the idiots who hate on Blizzards never get smart and start throwing them. It's easy to see this things are amazing, but if you're blind deaf and dumb, feel free to continue not improving and living in the dark ages.

this is the same hate you're complaining about, but from the opposite side of the coin.

I think the blizzard stuff is good for people who want the light weight high speed drivers, but I don't think the progression of my game will be hindered if I'm not throwing one either (which I don't really plan on doing, I am just learning to throw a boss around my regular driver weights)

A couple of big armed buddies of mine found a 140 Valk a while back and didn't want it. I said I would give it a try and it sat in my bag for a while. Then I blew my shoulder out. After rehab I blew my pec out. After more time off and rehab I was still not strong enough to pull out the speed 13 plastic very often so I started throwing the 140. I had to peddle back on the power and work out a couple of kinks in the throwing motion but wow! A good throw turns over at the height of the throw flattens then fades. Great stuff!