• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the best Overstable MID range

drones are meh. i like the flx drone for discing up from an overstable putter. i REALLY like my star gator for discing up from there. its a little faster and SUPER controllable. completely predictable in the wind. the gremlin is one step shy of a fairway driver and is very predictable if you need a touch more d.

As far as Innova goes, the Gator is the most, I throw Star, and it definately is stable, also the Pig can be considered a mid somewhat as well. It is a hybrid---a cross between a Gator rim, and a Rhyno top, but to me it's more of a mid than a putter. In fact most of the time I do use it, I'm throwing it as a backhand hyzer shot as a mid range. I typically use my Gator as a forehand flick midrange....really works well for that!

Favs:

Gator-when you need the turn but you want glide like a dumbell (I have since switched to a 168g from a 175g, I love the lighter one...easier to throw, goes farther, still stupid overstable)
Demon- when you need a little less turn but actually want the disc to fly
Sinus AP- when you want absolute control

Best or Most? Most isn't hard to answer, but Best is very subjective.

True Overstable, I liked the Drone the best. But I cover most of those shots now with either a flat top Roc or a Whippet, even an Avenger or Predator, powered down.

The Wasp is a really nice flat top mid, too. While not truely overstable, it's flat top helps it really lock in flat, tolerating a decent amount of headwind. But it's also more versatile, IMO, then an overstable mid.

Try a Z drone if you can find one. Crazy overstable, but actually has some glide compared to FLX. I max out about 350, but can get a Z drone out to 300 thrown flat. The FLX is a brick, but more overstable.

I like the Star Gator. I have also been experimenting with some OOP overstables. I have to say I really like the way a Griffin flies. I just ordered a Ram which was advertised as impossible to turn over over into a headwind at the time although it may considered more of a driver. I will update once I get the chance to throw the Ram.

In order of disctance..

shortest
Pig
Gator
Drone
Demon
Medius
Blaze
Whippet
Viper
Xtreme
Predator/Monster/Firebird
Venom
Illusion
Spirit
Flick
Max
longest

most overstable - my vote's to the Z xtreme. It's OOP now :(
There are some discraft pros who swear by this disc..

For 20-40mph wind days..
Putter - Pig
Midrange - Flx Drone
Fairway - Whippet X
Driver - Spirit

I recognize the Demon for it's overstability but I cant throw it worth a lick.

I think I'm going to pick up a star gator. Thanks for everyones opinion.

Last I checked, the star gators do not have a bead, the dx ones do. I prefer the feel of a beaded mid, so I like the way the dx gator sits in my hand better.

Last I checked, the star gators do not have a bead, the dx ones do. I prefer the feel of a beaded mid, so I like the way the dx gator sits in my hand better.

I actually saw some newer S Gators with a beaded rim when I was at Gander Mnt. a few weeks back. Not sure when Innova made the transition.

I love the Star Cro, but is it really overstable? I can turn mine over quite easily... Rated a 0, 2 for turnover and fade.