• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's the One Disc You Give a Noob?

Halcón

Free At Last
Title says it all. I was racking my brain last night while shuffling through my collection. I'm going to give a friend who's never played before one of my discs.

After weighing all the options, pros and cons, I decided on the AR Zombee. It was either that, or a Proton Axis. But the Zombee is longer, and has better glide. But you can putt better with an Axis. Maybe I should give him the Axis. LOL.

What disc would you give a first timer?

Neutral mid. Not knowing what you have but knowing what you like (MVP)...Tangent probably.

I typically start them with a neutral putter and stable-understable mid. Currently Magnets and Stingrays. Will often give them a Leopard too, but they generally have better luck throwing the mid off the tee.

A base plastic Buzzz or a shark would be my vote. I think that too understable discs breed bad habits in the beginning.

I only have two Tangents so I'm reluctant to part with one. :p

I'm going to give him the Axis. It's got less fade than the Zombee, and should be more controllable for him. Plus I think he'll dig the sweet Proton stamp.

Z Buzzz. A new player can putt, drive and approach with it....plus they'll think the plastic is cool.

don't give him any! Take him out and let him throw what ever he wants and try to explain what they do. Then he can drool all over the plastic and become addicted like the rest of us in the beginning and with a little help from you, hopefully he won't end up being one of those guys hyzering Nukes and Destroyers for 150 ft approach shots.

definitely a mid. I'd probably go z-buzzz as opposed to something roc-ish. buzzz or buzzz like disc will resist the inevitable oat a complete noob would have. Throwing rocs before i corrected oat issues for me, made me stop throwing mids almost completely.

DX Wolf. Only saying this because its what I learned with and felt good in the hand

Understable to stable mid, Antidote, Sringray, Comet, maybe even the U2 if you can find it. It's a good little putter that ranges well.

Gateway Element. It's shallow hand feel & straight flight make for a good experience. It also is fast for a mid and usually results in encouraging distance flights.

I think a neutral base plastic mid also, DX Shark/Pro D Buzzz are perfect learning discs. You throw it correctly even with modest power and they fly straight.

Discraft Glide was my go-to when I worked the pro shop / driving range. Nothing else on the market was as much of a first-time-thrower WIN as the Glide. Granted this was 3-4 years ago.

While most any of the above discs will work, if you're talking about someone who's never really thrown a disc before, think about a Polecat or a Skeeter, both of which are used in light weights for Innova's EDGE program (the whole purpose of which is to have new players feel good about throwing a disc).

I've used light Skeeters several times in clinics for kids and newbies and they are very easy to throw straight.

Latest posts