• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your putting technique outside of the circle?

What's your putting technique outside of the circle?

• Jump Putt

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • Step/"Walk through" putt

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • "Throw In"/Backhand

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other

Votes: 13 14.6%

• Total voters
I'll step through up to about 50 feet. After that I switch to a backhand. I only jump if I have to straddle outside of the circle.

I'm torn right now between jump putt and step through. I usually jump putt right now, but find my accuracy to be off right now. Need more practice at it.

I go with the "throw in / backhand" because my putting game hasnt developed enough to use other options. Been working on step and jumping to see what works for me, but it isnt there yet.

I don't change my basic spin putt until around 40-45' out.. Then I switch to a straddle jump putt which I've only recently developed this past year.

I'm really surprised by the poll. I thought jump putting ("putt jumping" ;)) would win by a lot. I never would have guessed "backhand" would win. It would seem to me deviating from a persons normal putting routine outside of the circle would make them less likely to make long putts. I always thought if I kept my routine outside of the circle as close to my routine inside the circle Id get the most consistent & "best" results.

How far out are we talking? If it's 35' or even 60' I'm still using my normal putt. 100' is backhand for sure.

How far out are we talking? If it's 35' or even 60' I'm still using my normal putt. 100' is backhand for sure.
I guess I should of worded my question better. I just want to know what everyone does (outside of the circle) after they no longer feel comfortable using their regular putting technique...the distance that they switch would be helpful as well. I just want to hear what others do because I struggle in this area.

^No worries, not bashing your wording! Figured that would help others that haven't read this yet answer more accurately. But yeah, I go straight from my normal putt to backhand even though I selected "other" in the poll [normal stance].

I'm torn right now between jump putt and step through. I usually jump putt right now, but find my accuracy to be off right now. Need more practice at it.

I've been putt jumping, because that's what i've seen peers and pros do. however more time watching (and other threads ;)) make me want to switch to putt stepping. I don't need extra oomph until 35-40, but a putt jump is just a wild fling more or less. in my mind, a putt step makes more control sense. I think it would take more explaining to casuals, since you're stepping over the marker before release, vs. putt then jumping over.

Out to about 50 I use my regular stagger stance and a splash putt. 50 to about 100 I jump putt. I've tried step putting but I'm more confident adding a jump to my regular routine.

Toss me in as a "what works for the situation".

I've had lots of luck with step putts going in... and lots of bad luck with missing 6" high and going 30' long. Step putting allows me to keep the disc flatter, lower and faster. Great option for deep grass or uphill.

Jump putts are great for needing to drop it like a pancake near the basket, especially if I have room to go high.

A traditional putt with a deep down swing works great if I need to be very accurate left to right, or if I want to stall/dump left into the chains.

If I have to take my feet out of the equation for any reason: snow/ice/mud or I'm on a knee, then I go to throw ins.

I take a step back and plant at the marker for extra oomph. This way I'm legal inside the circle, for steep uphills or wind. The motion is very similar to my normal putt, just goes a bit farther.

I'm using my normal putting stroke out to around 50', but outside of that, I'll do a small jump putt.

Latest posts