• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] What's your slight downhill straight bomber disc

tu-f-o

Double Eagle Member
What's your bomber distance disc where you don't have as much room to do a backhand flex line but it's also a bit too windy and you don't want it to get taken by the wind and flip?

400 ft hole slight downhill with trees mainly on the right

Basically a strong, small hyzer flip that'll go straight and maybe tiny fade at end?

I'm thinking maybe a champ sidewinder?

Thinking the wind will flip it a bit but it should then go straight and end left

That depends on which plastic and how fresh the Sidewinder is. Fresh Champion, sounds like a plan. Star, probably not. Anything used for a year will probably not come back. YMMV. I have a beat up DD3 that will flip up or turn a little, but always come back. That's what I'd throw. If it's more downhill than I'm envisioning, then an Instinct or Getaway.

Not quite as downhill but gradual and long hole.
My star sidewinder that's been used for a few years turned a bit then came back but didn't get as much distance as I wanted.

Backhand Lonestar Curl, forehand Streamline Flare. Different lines though.

On a hole like this, 90% of the time I will throw a stable midrange (Roc/Ghost) to the middle of the fairway, take the easy 100' upshot and tap in for 3. You will likely gain strokes on a good portion of the field this way.

If I'm feeling saucy I'll throw a beat-up PD really hard.

Ok. Someone educate me. I thought downhill usually meant stabling up a bit but seems like most of you are throwing something on the understable side.

I usually disc down for something like this, assuming staying on the fairway is paramount. A TeeBird, TL, or Leopard is what I use

Ok. Someone educate me. I thought downhill usually meant stabling up a bit but seems like most of you are throwing something on the understable side.

Correct but the key is "a bit." I see some people stable up to something like a Firebird and then they're surprised that it still finishes left.

For a laser-straight line on flat ground I would normally throw a fresh Z Comet or a relatively beat Roc. For downhill I'll throw a slightly beat Roc, or a fresh one if the wind is up.

Same if I am discing up: for laser straight I would throw something like a CD2 or Nemesis but downhill, I'll use a beat-to-straight(ish) PD. A fresh PD is still too overstable for a tight fairway with trees on right.

This has never worked for me. Going down in speed had. Besides, no Sidewinder I have ever thrown was anywhere close to the flight numbers.

With PMantle here. :hfive:
Drop down to Leopard or Teebird depending and just let it glide with minimal movement. Prefer slow, late fade on downhill shots.

Disc down and MAKE SURE I THROW DOWN THE HILL, MATCHING THE HILL ANGLE. It it sometimes difficult to imagine how far left a RHBH will fade going downhill.

We have two downhill throws at our courses. I see guys fail to do this all the time. They throw flat and watch their US disc mimic the flight chart only to then see it fall left way short of where they thought it was going.

For that, it'd be a Falk or a VIP-X Stag, depending on how much fade the line required. There's no point throwing anything faster for a downhill hole that isn't SUUUUPER long

Downhill I like throwing true stable and slower. We play a lot of fun long downhills in the CO mountains.

My beat color glow teebird downhill will go near as far as a control driver and do so much straighter. Max D discs down hill dont get along, either too much turn (more nose down) or they will fade out bad.

A broken in H3v2 works well for me downhill, but its touchy to hit with the right amount of hyzer to not turn too much.

Latest posts