• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When am I ready to go to a higher speed distance driver?

Throwing a disc 450 ft (150 yards) is not that far especially when you see Dave Wiggins throw a disc over 280 yards. Just something to consider and some advice that I was given as well.

Throwing a disc 450 ft (150 yards) is not that far especially when you see Dave Wiggins throw a disc over 280 yards. Just something to consider and some advice that I was given as well.

Actually, throwing a disc 450 ft (over flat ground...) is very far, and most of us will never be able to do it. Comparing "normal" folks to what David Wiggins is doing is a bit like saying that running a Marathon in under 3 hours isn't a big deal, since Dennis Kimetto ran one in 2 hours and 3 minutes.

I would venture a guess and say 80% or higher of all disc golfers out there can't throw 450ft.

And for what it's worth, we speak in feet, not yards.

Yeh I wasn't trying to compare it with my other round. I wouldn't expect to be able to shoot the same score using only a putter as I can with other discs.

So should I be shooting putter only rounds or something else, guess I'm getting a little confused. I thought shooting putter only rounds was recommended?

It is easy to get confused as you'll get several different ideas on the best way to develop your skills.

Putter only rounds are a great way to improve and develop your technique as putters will quickly reveal form flaws. So if you're playing 3-5 times a week, consider making a couple of those rounds putter-only. I think that the other advice is to consider is limiting yourself to lower-speed understable fairway drivers (Leopard, River, etc.) as these will also reveal form flaws and once you are throwing those well you'll be ready to move up to faster drivers. And finally, consider doing some field work rather than playing rounds every time, as that will allow you to concentrate more on what discs do what, and what techniques work better.

I started out like most folks, playing rounds with a wide variety of different discs, including high-speed distance drivers. I was spending way too much time experimenting with discs and not enough time honing technique. After reading these forums for a while I put all of the high-speed stuff away, and did a lot of putter-only rounds, along with putter/mid-range only rounds. And occasionally in my travels I would find myself in an area without a DG course for a few months so would do only field work and putting practice in that time. Once I'd get back to a DG course I was better for having done the field work/putting.

So bottom line is to keep playing and enjoying yourself. But consider the suggestions as exercises to help you progress more quickly.

Went and got a new putter (still an aviar but not in the champion plastic) and played a round using only it at my local 9 hole, shot a +5 and took at least 5 practice putts on various lengths after finishing every hole. I guess that's progress, will try and not use the road runner for at least a week and get out to the field a few times as well!

You're doing it wrong. Stop playing rounds and start practicing shots. Nobody is telling you to play exclusively with putters and compare that to a round with a full bag.

I'll just repeat what scarp said.

Fieldwork is the key. You apply in rounds what you learned on the field.

I suggest buying 10 aviars and practicing shots on the field till you can throw them on ANY line at least 250 feet.

Latest posts