• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

when does a disc get so beat thats its worthless?

loki993

Eagle Member
Im a new player and I hear a lot about how discs lust stability as they get beat in. Some to the point where people stop using them. So when people say that does that mean that they get so beat that they just don't really fly anymore or they get beat and just start flipping instead of turning left....

For a new player I wonder of you could actually still throw a beat disc, as long and it stiff will fly.

When stability is completely unpredictable IMO.

Flipping is one thing. Most can (or learn to) hyzer flip a flippy disc for the most part, but when you are getting to the point that hyzer flips won't work and the disc is wildly unpredictable, then it's probably about time to put the thing out to pasture.

I had an Eclipse Axis this happened to. I LOVED that disc, but had to retire it because it just wasn't reliably controllable anymore.

When stability is completely unpredictable IMO.

Flipping is one thing. Most can (or learn to) hyzer flip a flippy disc for the most part, but when you are getting to the point that hyzer flips won't work and the disc is wildly unpredictable, then it's probably about time to put the thing out to pasture.

I had an Eclipse Axis this happened to. I LOVED that disc, but had to retire it because it just wasn't reliably controllable anymore.

Every disc goes through that stage right before it becomes absolutely money. Then they usually sit in that sweet spot for a long long time.

I would say a disc becomes so beat that it's worthless when it stops flying lines that you need to fill in your game. Like if you have a trashed DX Valkyrie that turns over and rolls at 50% power and you don't need a disc that turns over and rolls at 50% power, then the disc is officially useless. For you. Maybe someone else is looking for just that disc.

Never.

Like Notroman said, if it's useless to you, then it's time for a new one.

But, ANY disc, no matter how beat, is useful to someone, somewhere.

Can tell most guys on here listen way too much to the crap on here. Flippy discs are very important, I want a disc so flippy that I can release it flat and 100-150 ft out it turns over so hard it becomes a roller. My max distance is 350ft but have thrown 365 ft before, I can throw a good roller 450+ ft. Getting to the point where I can control them and know where they will go as well. Rollers are big for me so I can equal shots of bigger arms at times. Overstable is important clearly in winds but you dont need a bag full of nuke os, beefy destroyer, xcal, spirit, predator, firebird type stuff. Plus flippy discs can cover some shots in the woods that sidearms cant with powering down on hyzer flips and see some sweet action.

My bread and butter discs (KC Aviars, Rocs, Leopards, TeeBird/TLs) are useful thru the entire life of the disc. I stop using them when I end up with multiples of the fully beat/turnover disc in a series. No need to carry two fully beat Aviars.

I have a dx beast that is so beat. It turns Ito a roller at like 100. It's one of the only discs my dad can hyper flip.

When you can't make any shots that do what you want with it?

Certainly true that one DGers overbeaten DX Beast/Tbird is a newbs first straight throw down a fairway. So keep the friends you want to turn to the DG side in mind.

Another useful purpose for a super beaten disc is when you have an awkward lie and you cant get much on it, but want it to fly straight. You might only be able to give the disc 20% power. A regular disc will hyzer out and skip somewhere, where the beat disc will pop up straight or something else you want to do with it. :hfive:

Im a new player and I hear a lot about how discs lust stability as they get beat in. Some to the point where people stop using them. So when people say that does that mean that they get so beat that they just don't really fly anymore or they get beat and just start flipping instead of turning left....

For a new player I wonder of you could actually still throw a beat disc, as long and it stiff will fly.

Almost every good player will have discs that are far older than the average dgcr members playing time.
My oldest is 8-10 years old. Most in my bag have seen around 3yrs of play.

Super beat, slow discs offer lines that yu cant buy off the shelf and the expierence of beating it in yourself is priceless.

when you throw it and it turns so bad, it hits you in the back of the head...

Awesome

I really enjoy a nice super beat disc. Unfortunetly i dont get to play alot anymore so my bag is starting to have more newish plastic than good beat stuff. Ive been trying to beat a putter to be hyzer flippable or an easy turner but i usually somehow lose it before then or switch. Someday... Someday

So I guess that answers it. I was curious I picked up an old x clone for cheap at PAIS as basically a practice disc. Didn't know what it was but when I looked it up everyone said it lost stability fast. Well Im new and a less stable disc would probably better for me anyway.

I traded for a beat to hell, old gummy champ Boss that I would never part with. I don't have the arm to throw a new Boss, so I'd probably never beat one in. The old Boss will still fight the wind, but not hyzer out. The "big arm" guy had retired the disc. It's awesome for me, and at about 3 throws per round, it will be for a long time.

I have some old Millennium plastic that looks like they came from the last century (many did). I still break them out and throw them on calm days. They're like old pictures. Good memories.