• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When how often hyzer flip

I hyzer-flip my beat up Ions all the time, and also my beat DX Roc. Just starting to work with drivers, but I imagine I'll be hyzer-flipping the Leopard soon enough.

It could be the weather as well. When the winter months come the air gets colder and thus more dense. Discs are more unstable in the cold weather. At least they are for me. So I disc up in the winter. With Discraft ratings .5 acts like 0, 1.0 acts like .5 1.5 acts like 1.0 etc.

I see the opposite, though not really a disc of air density issue. Winter golf in Michigan generally requires additional clothing, in particular sleeves. I find this usually slows my arm speed and makes most disc more stable than normal. Just my two cents.

I see the opposite, though not really a disc of air density issue. Winter golf in Michigan generally requires additional clothing, in particular sleeves. I find this usually slows my arm speed and makes most disc more stable than normal. Just my two cents.

Yea, it's been cold a day or 2 here (not many sadly), and all my discs act as they are overstable. Maybe it's because I use alot of ESP plastic. IDK exactly, but my discs don't get understable.

Ok, been playing about year and a half 54 yo, throw most discs +- 300'. Question has to do with more and more my discs are starting to turn over probably combination of better arm and more beat disc, or little wind starts turning them much more than they used to. Discs i'm talking about would be Star sl, z flash, z surge and others. My question is does the hyzer flip become just part of more of your throws? Or do you just stsart going more and more overstable? Have just started using that shot and it does do some interesting things to the disc.
Thanks

Hey fellow Rockfordian! :hfive:

I think hyzer-flips are a personal preference. A beat up disc will do nice things when thrown flat and an understable disc will do nice things when hyzer-flipped. I hyzer-flip most of the time especially on wooded tunnels like hole 2 on east side at Anna Page. You know what I'm talking about with that shot. Something like a worn roc or beat dx teebird can be flipped straight to make that tunnel to the pin.

If I'm looking for the lowest score, I look for a pure hyzer line first. If I can't find that, I look for a flex shot with a really overstable disc. If I can't find that then I go to hyzer flip. A flat shot is pretty low on my list.

If I'm playing a casual round (which is almost all of them) I'll look for a hyzer route. If I can't find that I'll go to hyzer flip. The flex shot is so easy that it doesn't require much practice so I'm much better of working on a different throw.

Yea, it's been cold a day or 2 here (not many sadly), and all my discs act as they are overstable. Maybe it's because I use alot of ESP plastic. IDK exactly, but my discs don't get understable.

I live in Finland, and it's now been around zero degrees celcius (32F) here, and same for me too, discs seem to behave more overstable. To me it seems that the stiffer the plastic is, the more overstable it will become with colder weathers. Noticed this already five years ago or so when I started playing.

Ive always gone more stable. But those understable discs are gems. I rarely use the shot, but you have to have it. It takes more skill, and better timing, while using the more stable disc yields more predictable/consistent results.

I try to hyzer-flip whenever possible. No other shot flies like a laser beam as accurately and consistently as the hyzer-flip. Not to mention its one of the prettiest looking shots out there.

Though, a bad hyzer flip could mean a ton of unwanted variables. From anything in between a strong hyzer, or a quick turnover. You have to find a disc you're really comfortable with and know the flight for this shot.

Though, a bad hyzer flip could mean a ton of unwanted variables. From anything in between a strong hyzer, or a quick turnover. You have to find a disc you're really comfortable with and know the flight for this shot.

True. Nothing is more frustrating than having the disc not quite stand up and just quickly die to the left. Or turn right and not come back.

True. Nothing is more frustrating than having the disc not quite stand up and just quickly die to the left. Or turn right and not come back.

Shooting for a gap and you throw a hyzer flip, and it tries to turn up and holds the hyzer line then smashes the tree lol. Happened too often. :wall::wall:

The only driver I can routinely hyzer flip is a disc that is supposed to be overstable, the Westside King. It also makes for a beautiful flex shot. But I digress...

I rarely use a hyzer flip these days. As of late ive been looking for more interesting lines through the trees, and that usually means aiming in a non traditional spot and throwing it flat. But this thread has got me to thinking that I could make it much easier on myself and start working that hyzer flip more often.

Latest posts