• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When is OB too close to the basket?

Having been thoughtful on the previous post, now I will indulge my Pet Peeve:
No OB should fall within the 10M circle.
There may be times when it's appropriate, just not as often as it usually happens.
Putting a basket 6' from the water is rarely good design, it's just an easy gimmick.

My thoughts exactly. If you want to make a green challenging, do it with things other than OB on the green itself (bunkers, bushes, trees, boulders, hills, etc). You don't see any ball golf greens with OB running through them, and for good reason; it's just unfair and absurd. IMHO

Having been thoughtful on the previous post, now I will indulge my Pet Peeve:
No OB should fall within the 10M circle.
There may be times when it's appropriate, just not as often as it usually happens.
Putting a basket 6' from the water is rarely good design, it's just an easy gimmick.

That's a quick transition from the absolute "No OB should fall..." to "there may be times when it's appropriate".

Like many other aspects of disc golf, I've seen it well-done, and poorly done. I've seen an awful lot of good holes with O.B. at, say, 25', which is within the circle.

OB or not (for DROT)?

Morgan(Hyzer course owner) has said DROT is OB on that hole......... kind of a funky ruling but has never actually happened that I know of.

I ran the last tourney there and i don't think we discussed it(bad TD !!:doh: ) but i'm making a note now to make sure it's clearly stated in the rules for the Battle tourney in Sept.

OB is too close to the basket if I throw OB.

That pic of the basket in the creek is awesome! You think a lot of people go for the bird on that???

yes, absolutely. and most of the time you're putting down at it and it's quite intimidating.

We made up an island hole at our local course. Not an actual island but a spray painted one. It runs in a wavy line about 25' around the basket. Anyway, I think it would be cool to have a 'doughnut hole' type island. So that there was also say a 10' hole around the basket which would be OB.

That's a quick transition from the absolute "No OB should fall..." to "there may be times when it's appropriate".

Like many other aspects of disc golf, I've seen it well-done, and poorly done. I've seen an awful lot of good holes with O.B. at, say, 25', which is within the circle.

Agreed.
Let's just call it a General Rule, but not an absolute rulle.
I have seen cases where growth or woods encroach on the green. I say, let the greenery grow to create a natural challenge (just keep it within a reasonable distance.
I have seen cases where OB is like 25', and that's not unreasonable.
Just as you point out, it's a matter of design choices, not just arbitrary and thoughtless placement for difficulty.

I think that sometimes a sidewalk shouldn't be OB just because it's close. Especially if it's not right near the basket...people don't have THAT much control on a 300' drive that they can easily avoid going on the sidewalk that's 10' left of the sidewalk...if they could they'd never put it there ANYWAY.

I also like having holes where shallow water isn't OB. There's a hole (i think 14) at Black Diamond where the entire holes is basically a creek bed with places to walk and throw on either side...creek is entirely in bounds. I putted 2 out of 3 rounds from the creek. The 2nd time I was actually in some moving water that tried to carry my mini away, so I had to put a disc on top of it to weight it down.

\/\/

Agreed.
Let's just call it a General Rule, but not an absolute rulle.
I have seen cases where growth or woods encroach on the green. I say, let the greenery grow to create a natural challenge (just keep it within a reasonable distance.
I have seen cases where OB is like 25', and that's not unreasonable.
Just as you point out, it's a matter of design choices, not just arbitrary and thoughtless placement for difficulty.

Yes.

And I forgot to mention that I agree wholeheartedly with your earlier post (points #1 through #5).

At our course, after tournaments, we've polled the players about various things, including whether certain baskets are too close to O.B. There's always a couple of people adamant that they are; 3 times as many think they're cool (in our specific examples, not in general). Which just goes to the diversity of tastes.

view_image.php

Hole 18 at Langan Park in Mobile Alabama (tee view shown)

400ft hole where the basket is in an island 20ft long by about 10ft wide (with the hole in the middle)

you throw right of the hole? you disc is in 4 feet of muddy stagnant water

left of hole? you're in a small creek with numerous aquatic plants (and a few snakes to boot)

short or long of the hole? well. you're disc is gone. disc eating swampy areas.

nasty hole. great for hole 18...but wow...

view_image.php

Hole 18 at Langan Park in Mobile Alabama (tee view shown)

400ft hole where the basket is in an island 20ft long by about 10ft wide (with the hole in the middle)

you throw right of the hole? you disc is in 4 feet of muddy stagnant water

left of hole? you're in a small creek with numerous aquatic plants (and a few snakes to boot)

short or long of the hole? well. you're disc is gone. disc eating swampy areas.

nasty hole. great for hole 18...but wow...

view_image.php

Latest posts