• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] When you were first starting out...

My first purchase was for a guy who was getting our of the game and had a bunch of used discs... I got a DC wraith Valkerie shark...and an 11x KC pro Aviar....five bucks apiece....lost the call the second time I threw it...wraith like two Weeks later....now three months down the road I carry the abuse free no real reason......x and throw my shark allot...I've since picked up the stuff in my sig

First one I threw that I bought was a Discraft XS Driver. I was at my buddies place and he introduced me to disc golf and I threw a Beast he had in the baseball field near my old house before we went......That's when the addiction started.....

After some friends took me out for my first round and lost 2 of their discs in the water, I bought myself an Innova DX starter set, an Omega SS putter and a Z buzzz (bought 2 other buzzzes to give my friends since I lost their discs).
I still carry the buzzz and throw it often. I still have the Omega, but I now putt with the Focus. Gave away all of the innova starter set to people I introduced to the game after I started buying other discs.

A 175g Champion Monster, 167g Gazelle, and a star Dart.

In case you can't tell, I had no idea what I was doing, and neither did the people who introduced me to the game. I'm normally a gear head, but in this case I had played the day before with a Champion Beast and wanted to go out with some discs of my own without doing any research. So I decided that I needed a distance driver, fairway, and putter. Didn't understand mid-range, nor did I understand the importance of the numbers or the note of "not recommended for beginners" on overstable discs. I didn't even know the difference in plastics. "Champion" sounded nice, and "Monster" sounded cool. That first course I was playing was short enough to play through with a putter or mid, and it took me a year to learn the value of discing down.

The Monster still comes out for the occasional tomahawk or sidearm that my Firebird is too light for. The Gazelle never leaves my bag unless I want to throw a very short uphill hyzer (hole 11 at Spirit Ridge). Sold the Star Dart when I picked up a star Aviar, and that star Aviar sits in the practice basket with a stack of Ions.

DX XD, Roc, and a used Cheetah. I kept that Cheetah around for quite a while because it was the only disc that I could consistently turnover.

My wife wanted me to play disc golf with her, so we went to the store and I picked up a DX Dragon, DX Roc, and a DX Hydra. Cool disc names for sure. In nine holes, I was able to get the dragon to go 150ft, Roc 100 ft and putting was terrible. Now I only throw Nordic discs (Latitude 64 - Sweden, Westside discs - Finland). It has been a crazy three years.

Innova 150 class 3 disc starter set.

Cheetah, Shark, and an Aviar. I'm pretty sure I lost the Shark a long time ago at Idlewild, not long after the course opened. The Cheetah is in the lake at AJ Jolley hole #2. The Aviar sits in practice basket in the garage.

This ^. Then played 4 consecutive rounds the first day because i was having so much fun. Then bought elbow tension band next day because my form was so bad.

Champion Edition Eagle. I was pissed when I bought it because mine cost twice as much as all my buddies discs at the register and then they teased me one the course for not throwing it like a champion throws it. This was back in 2002. No clue what happened to that disc because I didn't get that interested in dg until 2009.

i was lent a beat valk and given a dx aviar. i gave the valk back and another buddy gave me a dx wraith. soon after that, I added a dx wolf and a star sidewinder. i rocked wraith, sidewinder, wolf and aviar for a solid few months until I found this site :)

I did pretty well choosing discs when I was a noob, I started with a dx teebird, added a dx shark and aviar, then a dx valk.

My fried convinced me that all I need was a few drivers. My first disc was an orange DX beast I lost the very first game. My next few purchases were a DX destroyer and a Pro D Crush. That was just bout a year ago. I have come a long way in just a year.

The few friends I knew the played disc golf had very little knowledge of the sport and basically talked me into buying something cool.

First disc I every purchased: a fly-dye Elite-Z Reaper. followed by a soft challenger.

What a meat hook. Obviously way too over stable for my arm. But none of my friends knew any better, so that is what I learned with. Obviously I developed some serious flaws in my form just trying to get that thing to fly more than about 150 feet.

I beat the hell out of that disc for about 2 1/2 years to the point where it flew pretty much dead nuts straight. Unfortunately, by the time I corrected my form and had learned about the sport, I had lost that disc. I still wonder it would have flown like for me now. I did eventually pick up another Z-reaper, hoping to recapture that magic/love I had for the first one. Turns out I didn't have the patience to beat the hell out of it, and I pretty much moved to Predators for my OS driver.

I still kind of miss that disc. I was hoping to retire my first-ever piece of plastic, rather than have someone else pick it up out of a bush and probably never throw it again.

To this day I have never found a sweeter looking factory dye, either. It looked like a red, orange, and yellow satellite view of a hurricane.

As for the challenger, I gave it to a friend when I switched to Magnets. Not long after I switched back to Challengers. He still putts with my old soft magnet (6 years old now)... Wish I had never given it to him. :p

Last edited:
The first 2 discs were given to me. DGA Squall and a Reef (both 150 class)
The first disc I bought was a DX Valk. I still have it as it was my very first ace disc.
I also have the Squall and Reef...

The first time I played was with my brother. He took me to the record store in town that had some discs. I picked up a DX Cobra and a grid stamped Aviar. At that point the Cobra was still considered a distance driver.

XD, Polecat, and Leopard, followed shortly with a Viper...all dx plastic. When I first started, I had a couple loaners from a friend but I have no idea what they were (one Innova and one Discraft). Bought my first three all at the same time and within a year I had about a dozen. Minus the Polecat, those are still the discs that I'd try to get in a beginner's hands.

Latest posts