• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] When you were first starting out...

My first discs were a starter set my wife bought for me (DX Leo, Skeeter, and Aviar). The first disc that I bought on my own was a Champion Monarch. I made the mistake of buying it without doing any research and ended up not liking it very much. I still have it though.

DX Banshee
DX Coyote
DX Rhyno

They were all yellow. I wasn't sure if all of your discs needed to be the same color or not.

My first discs were the Innova DX starter set, Aviar, Shark, and Leopard. I've lost the shark and leopard. I still have the Aviar but I don't throw it anymore. I still throw leopards but I lost that first one.

the first few times i played i borrowed a buddies dx teebird and couldn't throw it backhand to save my life. i asked if throwing forehand was allowed and got much better distance and consistency off of the tee. with that in mind the first disc i bought on my own was a dx banshee. after that i picked up a dx spider, used it for short range shots and putts. eventually i learned some backhand and used the spider for that and picked up an xd to actually putt with. i think the driver i picked up with backhand in mind was a 10x teebird.

I started with a elite x express after borrowing a friends disc to play once. Played with it for 2 years before I lost it and then went wild buying discs after that

First disc was a comet. I didn't throw it very far but it was a great disc to start out with.

Yellow DX Beast. It was my only disc for the first month I played. Drive, Putt, you name it. That Beast did it all for me.

DX Aviar, Champion Teebird, and Champion Valkyrie. Had good times with those discs. But, just like it is expected as a beginner, only the putter was not lost. :(

The first day I played DG my brother and his buddy gave me a disc to use...I have no idea what it was!! I promptly flew it into the lake on hole 8 at Cliff, went up to CDGS, and purchased:

A Champion tye dye Sidewinder - (despite the objections of the store pro!!)
A DX Stingray
A DX Cobra
A DX Dragon - the water issue - (the worst of the batch and the only one of these I still own!!)
A beadless Aviar - now my brother's putter!!

I want to add that I have been flying frisbee's for as long as I can remember. This was definitely a natural for me. I took one look at the flight charts in the store and knew I wanted the sidewinder.

My first disc was a Cheetah, and I lost that one pretty quick. Not too long after I got a 150 JK Pro Valk and used it for everything.

When I started playing, my brother and I got into it together, but we didn't know anyone else that played. Without any advice on discs we just bought what looked cool. Big mistake. My first disc was a DX Gator. Eventually, I bought a DX Rhyno too. Started out with very discs and just kinda assumed that all discs flew that way.

When my buddies from my Ultimate team asked me to play, they told me to just buy a distance driver and a putter. So I went out to the only store that sold discs, a toy store shaped like a stealth bomber on Rt. 8 in Butler, PA, and bought a DX Archangel and a Chain Seeking Magnet because I thought they looked the coolest. When I lost my Archangel on hole 15 at Moraine :wall: I bought a champion Sidewinder that looked the coolest. Still have it, don't throw it because it's tye-dyed and basically camo. Gave the Magnet to a bunch of little kids who didn't have a putter, and I didn't have the heart to take their 10 bucks.

We were at a picnic and saw some folks playing the game at Beaver Island State Park. The gf and I were playing catch with a traditional Wham O beach lid and we both thought the sport looked interesting and fun. Later that week I saw these on sale at Walmart. There were only 3 packages on the shelf and I bought all three.

WhamoFrisbee1.jpg

It didn't take long for us to grow out of those. I still have them collecting cobwebs in the garage.

I'll never forget buying the #1 ROLLER because I thought it would turn over and roll - just like the one's i saw other guys (obviously not new to the game at that time) throwing. My buddy and I couldn't wait to get to the course. How disappointing when we threw it with our regular motion...damn thing flew just like a disc and didn't roll. Looking back that's the funniest thing. We didn't know what we didn't know!

Started with a dx destroyer. (cool stamp) I did terrible, of course. My buddy who was brand new also lended me a dx roc and I got instantly better.

175 Champ Wraith. EVERY shot went up and left (RHBH). First driver I could throw super straight was a RoadRunner. Then I discovered disc flight charts and started reading about stablility.

Latest posts