• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where are you going in 2023?

I rode the Badger one way for the aforementioned trip where I hit RR/Silver Creek/Wilderness. I may have gotten unlucky but I had a miserable time. The lake was really choppy and somehow the waves felt even bigger on the Badger. It was so rough that most of the onboard activities were cancelled and everyone just kind of gritted it out for 4 hours. 5 actually since they went kinda diagonally across the lake to try to avoid the worst waves. Unless the history/nostalgia of it is interesting to you, I'd say skip it. I'd battle Chicago traffic both ways before I rode the Badger again personally.
I've been on some rough rides on the beaver island ferries. It's all weather dependent. I remember staying out on deck on the smaller of the two ferries during a pretty crazy storm because the passenger cabin was maybe 30'x30' and some lady's dog had puked in there. It was sliding back and forth as the boat tilted. Hanging on for dear life outside was preferable to the smell in there.

The Badger is much bigger, but it crosses what I expect is a potentially rougher area of lake Michigan.

It was fantastic. I somehow shot better there than C1. All the lines are realistic at C2 unlike C1. Both were fun though. I'm tired now...
Curious which your layout was, last couple times I played it, the layout was par 62.

Chris S (course pro/designer) used to have names for the different setups. Unfortunately he doesn't keep the Facebook page updated. The kiosk near the first tee has a setup with the current par and color coded for difficulty.

Par 62 it says on the top right. Whether that's accurate I have no idea.

I of course have to defend the UP a bit. Powder Mill and Old Town are great in Marquette area. Calumet Lake is good if you want to take the detour to experience the scenery up in the Keweenaw. North Bluff near Escanaba is probably the best in the UP, very strong course that is flying way under the radar. And Superior Pines is one of my personal favorites that I plan on returning to for a fourth time when I am UP there (next week :D ).

Hard to argue against the WI courses I have played though - those are great courses for sure. I don't think ru4por could go wrong either way. 🍻
i agree with everything you said

up does have some decent courses but i personally think the hiking/scenery is better than the dg around there and plus with likely preferred route of drivin thru the up i feel like dg would be a pass for me

marquette is a great town to visit all around

i never heard anyone mention north bluff and i was even moar surprised it was a maccabe design respectable course

calumet is out of the way but great

and i havent gotten superior pines yet unfortunately but ive been to pictured rocks twice now

but truthfully i could wander around the up for months and not be bored its just so damm beautiful and accessible while still feeling somewhat desolate

I've been on some rough rides on the beaver island ferries. It's all weather dependent. I remember staying out on deck on the smaller of the two ferries during a pretty crazy storm because the passenger cabin was maybe 30'x30' and some lady's dog had puked in there. It was sliding back and forth as the boat tilted. Hanging on for dear life outside was preferable to the smell in there.

The Badger is much bigger, but it crosses what I expect is a potentially rougher area of lake Michigan.
That sounds comparable to what I experienced!

i agree with everything you said

up does have some decent courses but i personally think the hiking/scenery is better than the dg around there and plus with likely preferred route of drivin thru the up i feel like dg would be a pass for me

marquette is a great town to visit all around

i never heard anyone mention north bluff and i was even moar surprised it was a maccabe design respectable course

calumet is out of the way but great

and i havent gotten superior pines yet unfortunately but ive been to pictured rocks twice now

but truthfully i could wander around the up for months and not be bored its just so damm beautiful and accessible while still feeling somewhat desolate

Agree with all of this! Wisconsin has some great disc golf and I have only experienced a tiny bit of it. But I'll always recommend the UP too. :D

I of course have to defend the UP a bit. Powder Mill and Old Town are great in Marquette area. Calumet Lake is good if you want to take the detour to experience the scenery up in the Keweenaw. North Bluff near Escanaba is probably the best in the UP, very strong course that is flying way under the radar. And Superior Pines is one of my personal favorites that I plan on returning to for a fourth time when I am UP there (next week :D ).

Hard to argue against the WI courses I have played though - those are great courses for sure. I don't think ru4por could go wrong either way. 🍻
Agree with this for the most part. Although I would swap out Old Town for Silver Creek. North Bluff was great when I played it a few years ago, Pioneer Trails nearby was pretty dang fun as well. Superior Pines was the best DG experience I've had so far this year, fantastic.

Curious which your layout was, last couple times I played it, the layout was par 62.

Chris S (course pro/designer) used to have names for the different setups. Unfortunately he doesn't keep the Facebook page updated. The kiosk near the first tee has a setup with the current par and color coded for difficulty.
After creepin' on WH's scorebook, he meant that he shot better in relation to par I believe.

Agree with this for the most part. Although I would swap out Old Town for Silver Creek. North Bluff was great when I played it a few years ago, Pioneer Trails nearby was pretty dang fun as well. Superior Pines was the best DG experience I've had so far this year, fantastic.
Silver Creek and Pioneer Trails are both good too, yeah!

And glad someone else feels the same way about Superior Pines. :love: It's just so peaceful.

i stopped in at "canyon falls" roadside park which i didnt expect to be much but was absolutely beautiful
One of my favorites!!!

I'm driving down to the Florida panhandle in mid-August. Just finalized details. I'm sure I'll play a course or two while I'm down there, but the DG highlights should come en route. I'll be playing two Houck courses: Hobbs Farm in GA on the way down and Wolf Knob in KY on the way home. I've never played a course he designed before and am looking forward to these two.
The trip is upon us. Leaving ass early on Sunday morning. We'll probably stop at some 9er near the hwy to stretch the legs. Hobbs is on tap for Monday morning!

The trip is upon us. Leaving ass early on Sunday morning. We'll probably stop at some 9er near the hwy to stretch the legs. Hobbs is on tap for Monday morning!
Glad that you are enthusiastic, just temper your expectations regarding Hobbs. Vastly overrated IMO, and I think elmex agrees.

Glad that you are enthusiastic, just temper your expectations regarding Hobbs. Vastly overrated IMO, and I think elmex agrees.
I think it's rated 4.6 something. So basically a 4.5. I'm not expecting a top 10 course or anything. Hobbs was the highest rated course sort of close to my route though. I would have loved to play NGCT or get over to the IDGC courses, but the shortest route goes through Alabama and not Georgia. There were only so many extra hours of driving that I could sell the wife on. ;)

Where did you rate it?

For me, it's the opposite even though I personally liked Silver Creek over Powder Mill and Al Quaal.

To me, Old Town is an absolute must-play if you're going to be up in that area. Sure, it's not the most challenging course but it's definitely the coolest given the history of the piece of land it sits on. There's so many cool holes on that course too.