• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where are you going in 2023?

For me, it's the opposite even though I personally liked Silver Creek over Powder Mill and Al Quaal.

To me, Old Town is an absolute must-play if you're going to be up in that area. Sure, it's not the most challenging course but it's definitely the coolest given the history of the piece of land it sits on. There's so many cool holes on that course too.
I thought Old Town had some good hole designs but the navigation drove me crazy. If I have to pull out my phone to check the god damn udisc navigation every couple holes I'm hating life. Also par 3 letter holes with their blind baskets and off kilter teepads are garbage. And some of the tee pads were literally 9" above ground (can send pic if you don't believe). Old Town was my most disappointing course on my recent roadtrip just behind the Tailings in Iron River.

and nothing good to say about Al Quaal.

I think it's rated 4.6 something. So basically a 4.5. I'm not expecting a top 10 course or anything. Hobbs was the highest rated course sort of close to my route though. I would have loved to play NGCT or get over to the IDGC courses, but the shortest route goes through Alabama and not Georgia. There were only so many extra hours of driving that I could sell the wife on. ;)

Where did you rate it?
Where are you going again? Pensacola? Sorry my memory is garbage.. Pecan Hollow in Southern Alabama was fanfreakingtastic when I played it last fall... I would prob give Hobbs a 3.0 or 3.5 although it has been some years since I've played it. The weakest of the Houck designs I've played.

I thought Old Town had some good hole designs but the navigation drove me crazy. If I have to pull out my phone to check the god damn udisc navigation every couple holes I'm hating life. Also par 3 letter holes with their blind baskets and off kilter teepads are garbage. And some of the tee pads were literally 9" above ground (can send pic if you don't believe). Old Town was my most disappointing course on my recent roadtrip just behind the Tailings in Iron River.

and nothing good to say about Al Quaal.
I do agree about the navigation, it was pretty rough especially for the letter holes as of my play last fall.

What did you not like about Al Quaal specifically? I played the longs last fall. I thought it was a beautiful piece of property, and some great holes but needs more dialing in. And WAY too much walking between holes. The longs are a beat down and the shorts probably aren't worth all the walking between them, although I might try that when I'm up there in a couple weeks...

I do agree about the navigation, it was pretty rough especially for the letter holes as of my play last fall.

What did you not like about Al Quaal specifically? I played the longs last fall. I thought it was a beautiful piece of property, and some great holes but needs more dialing in. And WAY too much walking between holes. The longs are a beat down and the shorts probably aren't worth all the walking between them, although I might try that when I'm up there in a couple weeks...
Al Quaal: First 5 holes play up a ski trail. Lazy ass design. Hole 6 is a downhill bomber throwing into the abyss. I didn't bother, turned around and went back to the car. Took a look at hole 10 and with people down by the water didn't even consider throwing. Purists might strike it off my courses played list but I was there, walked it and judged it harshly.

Al Quaal: First 5 holes play up a ski trail. Lazy ass design. Hole 6 is a downhill bomber throwing into the abyss. I didn't bother, turned around and went back to the car. Took a look at hole 10 and with people down by the water didn't even consider throwing. Purists might strike it off my courses played list but I was there, walked it and judged it harshly.

Normally I'm not a fan of holes like 6 unless it's a straight forward downhill throw with a huge landing zone but man, I threw a Scorch that went dead straight almost 500' then hyzer'd out pretty harshly into the woods at the very bottom of that hill. I don't think I've ever thrown something that controlled on a downhill long shot in my entire life and I gotta admit, it felt nice.

Where are you going again? Pensacola? Sorry my memory is garbage.. Pecan Hollow in Southern Alabama was fanfreakingtastic when I played it last fall... I would prob give Hobbs a 3.0 or 3.5 although it has been some years since I've played it. The weakest of the Houck designs I've played.
Destin, no worries. I'll look up Pecan Hollow.

I read dgcraig's review of Hobbs, which was probably one of the more critical ones. He called out quite a few bland field holes in the back 9. Looking at the map, the layout is bizarre. I can live with a goofy layout if it results in really good holes and the signage is good enough to get you from a to b. I'll find out for myself shortly if Hobbs passes that test.

Anyway, although I'm not changing plans, I do appreciate your opinion. Expectations going in can really affect how much fun I have playing a new course. Rollin Ridge definitely felt like a let down in some ways. Still a great course, but I didn't think it lived up to all the hype.

Ha, funny that you mention Rollin Ridge as that is probably the most over hyped course I've played (and that's been something like 8 years ago). Supreme let down... Play them all and sort them out is my motto. Hoping you have a good trip!

Ha, funny that you mention Rollin Ridge as that is probably the most over hyped course I've played (and that's been something like 8 years ago). Supreme let down... Play them all and sort them out is my motto. Hoping you have a good trip!
Recently mentioned Hobbs and Rollin are both overrated, but....shrug, I don't let that influence my fun. Reviews > Ratings!!!!

Both are terrific golf experiences.

Hobbs is a 4 for me, I liked the first 12 or so holes. I liked it much better than Kudzu Cove, Clay Inverness, NGCT OG course, and Langley Pond. NGCT Red Hawk course and IDGC was better. As for Houck courses I've played it's in the middle between Frost Valley, Agape Farm at the top and then Harry Myers, Rock Ridge at the bottom.

Recently mentioned Hobbs and Rollin are both overrated, but....shrug, I don't let that influence my fun. Reviews > Ratings!!!!

Both are terrific golf experiences.
Well my sarcasm filter is not working today so not sure of your intent but I'll just say I've played almost 700 courses and have had different levels of satisfaction. If you look at my favorites list you can get a pretty good idea of the courses I prefer.

Hobbs is a 4 for me, I liked the first 12 or so holes. I liked it much better than Kudzu Cove, Clay Inverness, NGCT OG course, and Langley Pond. NGCT Red Hawk course and IDGC was better. As for Houck courses I've played it's in the middle between Frost Valley, Agape Farm at the top and then Harry Myers, Rock Ridge at the bottom.
Hobbs over Langley? Get outta town! It has been some years since I've played those tracks but I can in no way support this outlandish claim!

hobbs is 3-3.5

its really boring and open and has drainage issues and some death marches

its still somewhat above average but its def not a 4 (or higher) unless youre tryna s jh d

hobbs is 3-3.5

its really boring and open and has drainage issues and some death marches

its still somewhat above average but its def not a 4 (or higher) unless youre tryna s jh d
liked this post although I dont know what a "tryna s jh d" is, lol.

Well my sarcasm filter is not working today so not sure of your intent but I'll just say I've played almost 700 courses and have had different levels of satisfaction. If you look at my favorites list you can get a pretty good idea of the courses I prefer.
No sarcasm intended. I think they are both overrated here. I think both are terrific park style courses, with distance and open throws as a predominant feature. I am more of a fan of wooded tracks, but I love every round I play. As I get older, amenities [thinking a bar and deck at the end of my round] become more desirable. I also play a lot of rounds with a dog and my wife....bathrooms, benches and such, play more of a role now than in the past. I have said many times that I would rate all rounds really high....I have an unbridled joy, that is fulfilled by even the crappiest of courses. I find the power and value of this site, is in the description of courses and the information gleaned from reviews. Rating really only serve as a filter, to start my travels with.