• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where do YOU practice?

Usually at the course because its seldom that busy. Some days I have it all to myself. When I don't want to cross town I find a little park near home and work on my approach game there with a lawn chair for a target.

I goto a Middle School down the road from where I live. They have a nice Wide football field... I learned how to throw from 280 to 400 at that field.

ANY empty football field can be a 2-4 hole Par 3 course!

When I was setting up an obstacle course using the athletic fields at a nearby church, I kind of stumbled into the idea of a football field being a good 2-4 hole par 3 course. This thread has reminded I should share this concept with others!

whdgc9a.jpg

Above is the map I have used to explain this course to others, with most targets being wooden trash bins. A couple other holes end by hitting metal poles. But, thus far, it has been the opening and closing holes on this layout that have always been (for me at least) the most fun. I've brought several "never-evers" out there to introduce them to the sport, which others could certainly do as well.

Here's how it works...

You start underneath the goal post at one end and throw towards the other one. After the drive, you can elect to go for the birdie by throwing your second shot through the goal post just like a field goal. If you miss it to one side, it may turn into a bogie because it MUST pass through the goalposts the right way. If you lay up with your second shot, however, it makes for an easy par.

You could also elect to just hit the pole in the center as an alternate hole option. It can be hard to tell if a disc made it through from a distance, so you may need to have a "ref" stand underneath the goalpost to make a call.

If you have any football field nearby, this is something you should at least try! For those with big arms, you could start 10 paces behind the end lines.

Has anybody else here tried this? It seems ideal to me to get some practice.

Last edited:
I have two practice fields:

This first one is about a mile from my home. Its 550ft long and 250ft wide. It was supposed to be a nice neighborhood, but the houses never got built. I use this field to practice wide open, long drives.

practicefield2.jpg

This second field is the one I spend most of my time in. I use it for my midrange, and putt and approach shot practice. I also use those trees in the background for practicing trick shots and technical courses. This field is a block from my home:
Practicefield4.jpg

My yard. It is big enough to throw drives and I have a homemade basket.

It's about 425' x 200' and pretty level. My drives aren't even close to 425'.

Latest posts