• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where Should Pro Worlds Go?

I predict a lot of bids for worlds involving one permanent course and one temp (usually means golf course) course. I also predict worlds in europe within the next 5 years.

I predict a lot of bids for worlds involving one permanent course and one temp (usually means golf course) course. I also predict worlds in europe within the next 5 years.

So basically what DeLaveaga DGC has done except that instead of "Masters Cup" it will be called "Professional World Championship."

Or what Emporia did last year FOR WORLDS. MPO played Jones East (permanent park course) and Emporia Country Club (temp on a golf course).

Oh, and I just don't see a facility with two Gold-level courses (and nothing else?) being financially viable anyway, even up here in pay-to-play country. The bulk of revenue for our courses comes from the run of the mill recreational players. They might play an 8000+ foot monster course once, but they won't be back all that often. But a course in the 5000-6000 foot range where SSA falls in the 46-52 range...that's your money maker.

You can modify the Gold level courses to fit the lower rated players; Langley Pond, currently #9 on the course list here, has a set of tees designed for these players in mind. While I agree two gold level courses and nothing else won't make money, beyond people having an ego issue and only playing longs I don't see why a gold level course can't have an overlapping blue and/or white level layout for play the rest of the time, with either alternate tees or alternate pins.

Or what Emporia did last year FOR WORLDS. MPO played Jones East (permanent park course) and Emporia Country Club (temp on a golf course).

So basically what DeLaveaga DGC has done except that instead of "Masters Cup" it will be called "Professional World Championship."

I was under the impression both of these are permanent; I'm almost certain the country club is because of the new hole 1 and what not compared to the previous GBOs

One thing I found nice about the Worlds in Emporia was the fact that getting around town was a breeze compared to a large metro such as KC. Less traffic the better.

If Flyboy is still playable, that would make an excellent course paired with Atlantas next best offering.

Flyboy is still playable, on a limited basis.....but would be ill-suited for handling crowds. I'm not sure it's really gold-level.

But it would look spectacular on video.

"Atlanta's next best offering" might have to be confined to That-side-of-Atlanta's next best offering; Air Show's comment about the traffic would certainly encompass Atlanta's legendarily bad traffic.

Flyboy is still playable, on a limited basis.....but would be ill-suited for handling crowds. I'm not sure it's really gold-level.

But it would look spectacular on video.

"Atlanta's next best offering" might have to be confined to That-side-of-Atlanta's next best offering; Air Show's comment about the traffic would certainly encompass Atlanta's legendarily bad traffic.

Perhaps Hobbs farms in nearby town. Houck designed with 4.6 stars. Or boundary waters. Haven't played these though to know if they can be stretched to challenge the best. Atlanta would allow for easy flight scheduling getting to the area. Might want to have it in sept or October due to heat.

Spearfish South Dakota just wait until College school is out a one is on Black Hill State University a soon to be 20 hole course and one is in the Black Hills, Spearfish Canyon a 27 hole course that has a shot that has a 80 ft drop 270 foot hole 27. The town of Spearfish is laid back and smaller except during the Sturgis motorcycle Rally the first weekend in August. Also a smaller 9 hole course is 23 miles away that is way easy but could be the quick course used with the extra money ace hole. The Spearfish Canyon is a Mountain course. A Mountain course has not really been used for a worlds tournament but a few NT and WT have been on these kind of courses. Not sure if that is enough for a worlds tournament but it is close, a course might get built for Worlds.

Mountain course: Snowbowl PW2003 9500-10,000 ft altitude. But otherwise, just a few big hill courses at Worlds like Timber Ridge PAW2008 and Granite Ridge PW2007.

Perhaps Hobbs farms in nearby town. Houck designed with 4.6 stars. Or boundary waters. Haven't played these though to know if they can be stretched to challenge the best. Atlanta would allow for easy flight scheduling getting to the area. Might want to have it in sept or October due to heat.

Hobbs is blue level. Flyboy regular layout is also blue level. Viper flyboy layout could work, but it would never happen there because of crowds.

I know almost nothing of Canadian courses...any potential up there? Would be cool to have it in a different country but one that is still has easy access for U.S. players. Not xenophobic, but most of the top players are from the U.S.

A fair amount of Europeans come to Worlds and I dont see it being in Canada as an issue for them. Just spitballing here and I am open to both positive and negative feedback on this

Re: Madison, WI

I'm late to the party, and Tom has already addressed the key issue: gold-level courses. We have fantastic courses for a blue-to-low-gold-level championship .... hence why we bid for and hosted Am Worlds last year. We occasionally get some top pros at Mad City Open ... Cale Leiviska plays here regularly, MJ finished second to Cale last year, and Alex Geisinger won this year. Really strong field in 2015 with JohnE McCray beating the likes of Feldberg and Nikko. However, I don't think the courses are truly suited for Open at Pro Worlds. We have very few legit multi-shot holes ... no par 5s.

I was Assistant TD of Am Worlds last year, and President of Mad City Disc Golf for the six years prior to this one. I don't think there is much of an interest in doing a temp course / ball golf course design just to try and host something like Pro Worlds. Sure, we'd love to get a permanent course (or more!) with a gold or super-gold (black?) layout, but that may be more likely to happen on a private property than with any of our public park agency partners ... and would likely have to be a bit out of Madison for the required acreage to be financially feasible.

Overall, I think we're much more likely to host something like USWDGC or Selinkse Masters, rather than Pro Worlds.

another one is Nashville.

there is already a disc golf course installed permanently on a golf course here that can vary to normal 9000ft to an even more epic 1100ft layout. nashville can be surprisingly windy (especially on golf courses).

https://youtu.be/ZbjMp_gak20

https://youtu.be/cSVRbPDqpm0

^the layout for the nashboro open was a two 18hole courses on one property. they can combine both into an even more epic one.

there are three great options for wooded courses: cedar hill and seven oaks has a par 61-62 9000ft+ layout options. and a new par 60 wooded course named Cane Ridge that is like playing in New england (wooded, elevation, epic).

all courses are 20min away from each other and within city limits so hotels, airports, travel is easy.

Latest posts