• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which Charlotte courses have the mildest rough?

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Rounds in Charlotte this Spring have been as frustrating as they are fun.

Tried to film 18 holes at RL Smith. Throw an Atom straight down the gap on #3, looked like it was parked 10' right of the pin, never saw it again.

Tried to film 18 holes at Eastway. Throw my one and only Eclipse Vector straight down #4 with a touch of Anny. Perfect flex line, looked like it skipped right towards the chains as it faded back. Never saw it again.

I'm sick of losing discs on what looks like a great shot. What's a course where I can go and just throw golf and not spend hours looking for discs?

Bradford is extremely well thinned out in the rough as of saturday. There are only a few spots where you can get into trouble and it takes a bad shot.

Wish I knew you were in Charlotte this weekend, I would've hit you up for a round!

I'll second the nod for Bradford. Played there this evening and, as usual, Schleppy was out trimming. "It's a battle this time of year" he said, but the course seems to always be in great shape. You'd have to be waaaay off the path to lose one here (or in the cedars).
Thank you Schleppy!

Awesome, I'll try Bradford. I wanted to film there too, I just figured it'd be rough this time of year.

Sugaw sounds fun too, should of gone there instead of Eastway. Kilborne had come to mind but it's a little on the easy side IMO.

What's Bailey like? I haven't been there yet.

Rounds in Charlotte this Spring have been as frustrating as they are fun.

Tried to film 18 holes at RL Smith. Throw an Atom straight down the gap on #3, looked like it was parked 10' right of the pin, never saw it again.

Tried to film 18 holes at Eastway. Throw my one and only Eclipse Vector straight down #4 with a touch of Anny. Perfect flex line, looked like it skipped right towards the chains as it faded back. Never saw it again.

I'm sick of losing discs on what looks like a great shot. What's a course where I can go and just throw golf and not spend hours looking for discs?

Kinda funny! Even for a highly skilled guy like you this game can be tough. Especially on challenging, well designed courses. Maybe a trip to Winthrop is in order. Now you know what most of us deal with on a hole by hole basis. :D

Bradford and Robbins (once you pass hole 1) were fairly clean when I breezed through last weekend. Bailey has some tall grass in spots but it's a very beginner friendly course, fun putter round.

Bailey's pretty much a beginner course - quite pedestrian, but fun.

Try Sugaw... some spots where you can lose discs, but I think it fits your bill.

What's Bailey like? I haven't been there yet.

Bailey is super short. It's a putter only round for me and you have like 150 feet of distance on me.

Kilbourne is in good shape. The long tees are more of a challenge, long tees to blue baskets is a REALLY hard layout. Some brush but very managable.

Robbins meets your criteria (aside from hole one) for not having underbrush, but there is plenty of brush piles/ leaf litter / sticks ect to hide under. Plus the golf sucks in my opinion.

I though Nevin was in suprisingly decent shape for the Time of year and relative lack of traffic. Definitely more brushy then any other course I played this weekend but I really didn't have a hard time tracking anything down, even stuff DEEP in the schule

if you are willing to go just outside Charlotte- in Concord- Frank Liske park is WIDE open. I think 2 holes in the trees, and theres no brush there. Good place to go if you want to throw 500+ on several holes in a row.

Usually eastway struggles with overgrowth this time of year.

Bradford is great as long as you don't lose in the cedars on 8 & 11

Kilbourne, Reedy, Scrapyard, Robbins and Sugaw are all good per my recent rounds. It's part of woods golf though. You could potentially lose a disc pretty much anywhere

Played Scrapyard yesterday, almost no "cabbage". Played Brackets on Sat also very clean. Winthrop on Sunday. Can't imagine there is ever undergrowth there. My buddy put one in the water and we could not even find a stick to pull it out with.

Last edited:
Another vote for Sugaw, at least for another few weeks. The only holes to be careful with are #5 and possibly #15 with an overthrow into the kudzu, though as Pat said there's still rough that can hide a disc.

On another note, Goat Island is very thick with lots of poison ivy. I would also recommend changing the name to Mosquito Cloud Island. Even with deep woods off on me and 99.9% deet on my bag and shoes, the place was swarmed by the little blood suckers.
We liked the layout but probably will not go back until its too cold for bugs.

For me, the risk of losing discs is always at it's highest the first time playing a course. You don't know the pins to be careful of (like knowing that running Eastway #4 is bad risk/reward management) nor the best lines for a hole (a RHFH or LHBH hyzer on RL Smith #3). Accept that you will take a few licks during your initial rounds. If you are really interested in playing in freshly cut grass, Frank Liske or Winthrop. In comparison to a few of the mountain courses I played this last weekend (Rolling Pines, Ft Hamby and Blackjack), the CLT courses have well kept areas of the fairways.

Played Scrapyard yesterday, almost no "cabbage". Played Brackets on Sat also very clean. Winthrop on Sunday. Can't imagine there is ever undergrowth there. My buddy put one in the water and we could not even find a stick to pull it out with.

Yea Bracketts is the same no matter the season. Mature pine forest with mulch/needles. Plus Dave works on it constantly.

Hey Tripp!

For me, the risk of losing discs is always at it's highest the first time playing a course. You don't know the pins to be careful of (like knowing that running Eastway #4 is bad risk/reward management) nor the best lines for a hole (a RHFH or LHBH hyzer on RL Smith #3). Accept that you will take a few licks during your initial rounds. If you are really interested in playing in freshly cut grass, Frank Liske or Winthrop. In comparison to a few of the mountain courses I played this last weekend (Rolling Pines, Ft Hamby and Blackjack), the CLT courses have well kept areas of the fairways.

I might try Frank Lisk. Winthrop is fun but its a little boring without ropes.

I've played eastway before and my drive on #4 was a layup because of the hill and what all is behind it. Doesn't matter. Good shot got rewarded with spending a couple hours looking for something and not finding it. I just want to avoid spending a night walking around knee high grass, and instead spend it playing disc golf.

Where I moved from there was only one course with rough like this. Boettler Park. No one ever played it for the same reason.

I'd take Arboretums water hazards over this any day. When it goes splash, you know its gone. Seeing what looks like a great drive just vanish in some grass is a lot more frustrating IMO.

Latest posts