• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Which do you prefer, GStar or Star?

GStar or Star?

• GStar

Votes: 38 22.0%
  • Star

Votes: 86 49.7%
  • Love them both

Votes: 39 22.5%
  • Neither, I don't throw either.

Votes: 10 5.8%

• Total voters
I think g star has nice grip when dry but not any better when wet vs. star.

I do think gstar is less less stable, especially after a couple tree hits.

I feel they are both very durable and don't get dings and gouges easily. But, gstar can warp and deform from impact.

I like them both, but I'll buy Star.

I seem to prefer Gstar lately. At least with the Terns I've been throwing. I get a nicer grip/release on the Gstar and am able to hit my lines easier with good power.

I doesn't get too hot hear, so that isn't a big issue for me, but grip is.

forgot about the tern

I'm pretty hooked on star terns so I guess I'm in the middle on this.

Gstar - tl3, teebird (max weight), firebird

star - terns

Can't stand G*. I thought I was the only one, though. I don't like my thumb sinking into the disc. It won't come out! Every gummy or soft disc I try is like that; I can feel the disc not ejecting.

... but I think that's why a lot of people like it ...

I have a Thunderbird, Teebird, Roc3 and Aviar Driver in G*. Love them for woods play, they don't seem to ricochet as far off a tree as KC pro and champion do.

I didn't like G* in the beginning, felt too flippy in the hand, but I've gotten used to them.

I have liked every G* disc I've thrown so far, even in the heat of summer(98deg was hottest I played in). G* Rocs are slowly taking over my mid line-up between my drone and beat in XT Roc. G* eagle-x's are probably my favorite G* mold, they beat in to perfection. Words cannot describe the heartbreak I suffered when I saw my beautifully seasoned G* EX sail off into the lake. Working in a new one, but I just can't wait till it gets to the sweet spot ><.

Star is great for distance discs(whether that be speed 7/10/or 13) due to the slow cycling, but I find G* has just as much glide potential. It just depends on your grip-feel preference.

Can't stand G*. I thought I was the only one, though. I don't like my thumb sinking into the disc. It won't come out! Every gummy or soft disc I try is like that; I can feel the disc not ejecting.

... but I think that's why a lot of people like it ...

I agree 100%

Also the increased flexibility effects the flight characteristics. That's why people have been saying the discs will get super flippy even when they are still in good shape cosmetically. I'm not a fan at all, and I hope we start seeing some more star runs coming again soon

forgot about the tern

I'm pretty hooked on star terns so I guess I'm in the middle on this.

Gstar - tl3, teebird (max weight), firebird

star - terns

I really like Star Terns as well, but I ordered a Gstar Tern, and my accuracy and consistency is better with it. I think it just makes me focus on my grip more?

I get really good accuracy with Terns in general. Not sure why, but I probably shouldn't even be throwing anything over speed 9 if I really listened to the Pros on these boards :)

I know what you ean. I've parked a lot of long holes with the star terns but I'm probably just forgetting the screw ups. I'll have to try the Gstar again.

I have a few Teebirds, Leopards and a T3 in G*. I got them all based on sub-50° temp trials. Once it warmed up I was not getting consistent release timing - either too late, or if I compensated for that, too early. I don't have any issues gripping frozen Star plastic, I just have to deal with it being rock hard.

I did enjoy throwing a G* T3 during Sundays blizzard.

I enjoy both when throwing backhand / overhand, but I do not like to throw forehand with g star discs. They are just floppy enough to feel weird when thrown that way. It's routinely over 100 degrees in the summer here, and I didn't have any problem throwing g star backhand last summer. They both have their uses :)

I love star. Gstar is ok, the only one I had was a sidewinder, and it flipped in a downhill windy shot and then someone stole it from me.

But star all the way. In fact I love stiff star. Floppy isn't as dependable, but more versatile with flights, and easier to get to intended flight #'s.

I voted both. Star is still my favorite but GStar is a close second. Like many said pairing them together is sweet. I use both in Destroyers and Thunderbirds plus I like a FAF Firebird paired with a GStar. Just fine in the summer and awesome in the cold.

G star does a different job. It bends when it hits the ground. It's made to plant. Echo star is a much better version of star. E* breaks in quicker which is the only reason to choose star over champion. Quicker break in for turnover discs.

I understand the star vs champ debate. But champ does it's job better. Slides and skips. Stability. Star is good plastic but I prefer dx over a star disc. Atleast dx knows idts job. Break in and become a finesse/ roller disc. Star breaks in and never finishes the job. I've been trying for weeks to smash a star roc3 into a turnover disc with no luck.

I like both but greatly prefer star. All of my gstar discs seem to have more turn and less fade then their star counterparts.

I like a gritty star plastic that's been roughed up or left in the sun. Had to explain but I don't like brand new star plastic as a thrower. Gstar is nice just got flippy too quick.

I like a gritty star plastic that's been roughed up or left in the sun. Had to explain but I don't like brand new star plastic as a thrower. Gstar is nice just got flippy too quick.

Its not hard to explain... Anyone who has been around for a minute knows exactly what you are talking about' Its why I gravitated to buying more used innova disc from PIAS when I was shopping there regularly for throwers due to the feel of the used discs being so much better and well they were half or 1/3 the price of new'

New discs suck no matter what brand really unless you want that nice OS/stable flying disc to stay that way. Gstar just gives that seasoned feeling off the shelf but warps and flops around like crap eventually. Hard star plastic will season into a great thrower and literally last for YEARS.

You can un-warp GStar btw. Where the rim is bent down just take your thumb and smash it back up the other way, it'll un-warp pretty easily.