• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Which Wizard drives best?

Burrito

Birdie Member
I want to try a Wizard off the tee for controlled drives, and to improve my game over the winter. It looks like there are some options on terms of stiffness and plastic...is there one that works better off the tee?

Regular or Supersoft?
"S" plastic or "E" plastic?

SSS are really nice IMO, but they take damage crappy :/

SS and Ss are nice. I don't like the M but that's just my opinion :)

(in other words not evo plastic)

Evo is really durable. My favorite though is their Glo plastic. Pretty durable and grippy. Great stuff. Depending on the run I would say their S or SS is also good. Normally go with S and beat it into a good putter. Then buy another driver.

Also the roughly 175 plus discs are more stable. Great if you have a decent arm. for us average people 165 to 170 is cool.

I like softs to beat into turnover discs, and evo-hpp for overstable duties.

Me:
"Hey mashnut...

there is this 500' hole with a crazy anny line. what are you gonna throw?"

mashnut:
"wizard"

Me:
"shoulda known"

I prefer S plastic, soft or medium stiffness. I don't like if they flex at all during the throw and I haven't had good luck with E Wizards in the past but I'll admit it's been a while since I've thrown them. It used to be that there was the most flight difference between runs of E and while the runs of S all felt different they basically all performed the same. I don't know if that's still true about E or not, I'm not willing to spend the money to find out.

For driving I'd get a heavy one. Lighter ones are great for putts and approaches but I get the best driving results out of the heaviest ones.

Any of the gateways softer plastics will beat easier and bubble the flight plate if you hit trees. My magics did this.

I have noticed my glow magic is really really stiff (kc pro stiff) and i like it for driving.
But either of the evo lines should be good.

I liked my glow Wizard for driving a lot and I think Mike C is probably enjoying it now as well.

I actually had this exact question. I like driving with my star aviar and my soft challenger and I hear so much about the wizard that I want to give it a try. But which one?

This thread would lead me to believe to get a S 175 wizard, or a Glow. Tell me what to buy!

Just pulled the trigger on the gateway direct ebay store.

$25 for

172g Soft Warlock HPP
175g Soft Wizard
175g Medium Magic

Haven't bought a disc in a month or two. Thought it was about time to reward myself again.

the clear gummy evos are my fave to drive (though...theyre clear:doh:)

they fly great and are super grippy.

my ions are far superior though.;)

Usually soft or firm wizards. Just a slight bend when you try to flex it. supersofts turn into great turnover wizards.

Any of the gateways softer plastics will beat easier and bubble the flight plate if you hit trees. My magics did this.

I have noticed my glow magic is really really stiff (kc pro stiff) and i like it for driving.
But either of the evo lines should be good.

Yeah, but they still fly just fine when they're a little dinged up and warped. One of my favorite wizards is totally warped and it flies beautifully without any noticeable wobble.

Last edited:
I just got a light 170's Evo Wiz, Thing is like a really stiff star plastic. Super workable. However for some reason my freaky stiff SSS's get better distance.

Is it the clear evo plastic, or the opaque evo hpp plastic? In my experience, that clear plastic loses a lot of glide like innova's champion does. The HPP though is a really nice plastic, grippy, durable, and pretty good glide.

Latest posts