• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who else has gone with a cart only to find it not so great?

If you carry large amounts of fluids (see:beer), having a CART with a cooler in it is optimal.

If you're shorter, maybe you should have gone with a Delta.

The thing I found as a positive (for me) for carts over bags is that they took the strain off my back and moved it to my legs. I had to get used to the extra work my legs were doing. Hope you figure out a way to ease the pain from your knees.

Pushing the cart whenever possible is much easier on your body. I've noticed that the cart takes the load off of your back and shoulders but does put the load on your legs. Pushing it rather than pulling does make a significant difference. I was on the fence with mine, same backpack Zuca, but it has won me over after a few weeks of use.

All the points I would make. I have a GoKart and it is probably the best "seat" of all the carts.....for me. It is wonderful on cart friendly courses and is a saving grace during the pace of tournament play.

I played in a tournament this weekend at a very well groomed, cart friendly course. I tried to make a conscious effort to push the cart more, and it definitely seemed to help with any back issues I was having pulling it around all the time.

Lots of hills on the courses here in Madison and pushing up hill with one hand isn't exactly easy, so I resort to pulling most of the time. Not too worried about not getting a ton of use out of it, not like I haven't wasted a huge amount of money on disc golf anyway :D

You've also hit a big point on using a cart. Geography. I learned to play in the Northeast. And most courses there are not Maple Hill. If the course is hilly, heavy on trees/roots, and just overall rough on the terrain, then carts can get tricky. You're pushing them, dragging them, torquing your shoulder when they get caught on something, etc.

Nothing wrong with trusting your legs to do all the work on courses like that. A car might be better than a bike, but that doesn't always make it the right tool for the job.

I actually only really want my cart for tourney days. I found it really helpful to carry a cart instead of carrying a stool AND a rain jacket AND an umbrella.

It's nice to attach the umbrella to the cart and the cart serves as the stool. Obviously, the scenario I described is a lot of conditionals but that's where I really enjoy it. It's nice not worrying about as many things

I tried one to see if I was missing anything (Re-purposed baby stroller) and didn't feel it offered me any advantages. Disc Golf isn't physically intense enough for me that playing all day becomes a burden, and there's only so much water I can drink over 18 holes. Backpacks do me right for now. Might feel differently in a decade :)

Same. My Rebel disappears on my back. I am much more tired using a cart than using my pack. I honestly don't get it at all.

For me it's not about carrying the bag, it's the constant picking it up and putting it down that wears on me. If you birdie every hole on a par 54 you're picking up and putting down your bag 162 times. That's not even counting when you might be helping someone else look for a disc. That sh!t adds up after a couple rounds.

I've got some experience with carts, so here are a few observations:
1. If a course isn't cart-friendly (big roots, bridges, hills, uneven terrain, etc) that cart is gonna be a pain. Use a backpack.
2. Three-wheeled carts and strollers are better for courses that are less cart-friendly, two-wheeled carts are more difficult to handle on bad terrain.
3. Even if you use a cart, carry a bag occasionally. It will either make you understand why you use a cart, or it will tell you that maybe you should go back to a bag. (Me, I go back and forth).
4. Everyone has preferences. One size does not fit all, nor at all times.
5. If you don't have a cart, shut up and carry your bag. I couldn't care less what your opinion is.

50+ player and wow.. the cart the past year or so has made a huge difference. My arms stay fresh all day,no back pain, etc. I think you need to adjust your handle height correctly because even with a very full bag, water, etc, etc, I can effortlessly pull or push the (older zuca cart) with ease. I only pull it going up hill, otherwise on flat, or down hill I push it.

3. Even if you use a cart, carry a bag occasionally. It will either make you understand why you use a cart, or it will tell you that maybe you should go back to a bag. (Me, I go back and forth).
4. Everyone has preferences. One size does not fit all, nor at all times.
5. If you don't have a cart, shut up and carry your bag. I couldn't care less what your opinion is.

Could not agree with you more on these 3 points.

I only notice a difference on the really long days when I'm pushing 100 holes. By the time I start playing the 4th or 5th round I usually notice less fatigue if I use a cart instead of the backpack that day. I also REALLY enjoy my cart on the 90+ degree days because I can carry a couple of Gatorades and not have to worry about all the extra weight of the liquid being on my back.
I totally agree. :)

For me it's not about carrying the bag, it's the constant picking it up and putting it down that wears on me. If you birdie every hole on a par 54 you're picking up and putting down your bag 162 times. That's not even counting when you might be helping someone else look for a disc. That sh!t adds up after a couple rounds.

Completely agree. Not to mention all the times, even when using one strap, a person has to put the bag down or wrap it around their body (risking all the discs falling out) just to grab their cellphone, a bottle of water, etc.

Hard to go back after using my (homemade) cart.

This is the main advantage for me using a cart, it's not about carrying a bag, that's easy. The other advantage (for me) is the putter pouch, I love not having to bend over to get my putter.

If you land close to the basket you can putt the disc you threw and leave your bag on ;)

If you land close to the basket you can putt the disc you threw and leave your bag on ;)
81 times is still a lot in 1 round, and we're talking the absolute best case scenario. Besides pitch and putt courses don't count :D

Well if picking up a ~20lb bag 80 times has that big of an effect on your body I think its time to hit up the gym ;)

This is the main advantage for me using a cart, it's not about carrying a bag, that's easy. The other advantage (for me) is the putter pouch, I love not having to bend over to get my putter.

This is one time being really short works to my advantage. I only barely, just barely need to bend to reach the handle on a grip bag, so I never bend over to set it down or pick it up. And during casual rounds I rarely bend over to pick up a disc either, I slide my foot under it and toe-flick it up to myself.

After about a month worth of back and forth debate I'm going back to a slightly smaller bag (gripeq b15) and ditching the cart. I think the best investment I made for my knees is the 3mm neoprene rehband knee sleeves I use now. And with the bag my back seems to hurt less. The zuca just wasn't the right thing for me - or I'm being stubborn from so many years of carrying a bag and having a stool. Either way.

I'm still a huge 'if you like it use it' guy so if carts are your thing, then by all means roll on!

For rec/casual play - a cart is hard to justify. For multiple 4+hr tournament rounds, it's a godsend. I've got production Zuca cart #1, which I had on pre-order for 3+ months, would do it all over again in a heartbeat.