• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who named Trilogy?

Trinity. Not good enough (or perhaps too good) a title for disc golf. Just right for the first atomic bomb test.

America is weird.

I looked up "prerube". Seems similarly hard-to-find (there's a profile, but not a verb definition). Maybe these things belong in a FAQ.

"Getting 'prerubed'

The member Honis has cultivated such a strong friendship with is Clinton, Maryland native William Safford, who goes by the moniker prerube on the DGCR forums.

Safford, over the years, has gained fame as one of the site's more polarizing figures because of his propensity for encouraging the use of the site's search feature. When a new discussion thread is posted about a topic that has been covered numerous times, Safford will often post a response that links to the prior discussions, highlighting the fact that new threads will clutter the forums with redundant information.

In time, the term "prerube" came to be used as a verb, meaning — roughly — to use the search feature effectively.

Some users, even those who are relatively new to the site, will often qualify their posts with something along the lines of, "I searched for this already, so don't preube me," but Safford sees value in what he does.

"When I first started to 'prerube' people, there were only 3,000 threads," he said. "There are now three or four times that many threads, so the search feature is getting harder to use for the average DGCR user."

There are multitudes of users who object to Safford's posts, taking them as disrespectful rather than useful and claiming that, as an open discussion forum, people should be able to post what they want when they want.

Honis, though, feels like too much negative attention is thrust on his friend.

"The 'don't prerube me, man' stuff has always been misunderstood," Honis said. "I dare anyone to find a post where prerube himself posted a command to 'search first' without providing anything else that wasn't productive and helpful."

And for every user who doesn't see eye to eye with Safford's logic in keeping the forums efficient, there are many more — 118 more, to be exact — who support him as part of the Official Prerube Fan Club.

"My wife thinks it's hilarious that a mediocre disc golfer has a fan club with more than 100 members," Safford said.

And, to his credit, Safford sees his level of DGCR fame, so to speak, as a positive. In fact, he has become somewhat of a site historian, posting yearly recaps about DGCR's memorable moments.

"I actually love it. I have become the search feature's assistant," he said. "I get personal messages from people asking me to find specific posts or threads, and they are very grateful when I can find them.""

Quoted from - http://rattlingchains.com/?p=2137

Seems to me that "trinity" or "triad" make more sense. "Trilogy" suggests that they were three companies who made discs, one company at a time, and then stopped. I figured I could find a thread on this, but not so far.

Who gives a s**t..

WYUhjiD.gif

Just keep doing research and making sense.....somebody will have a major problem with it.

I if remember correctly, it started with people just looking for an abbreviation of sorts when trying to lump the 3 companies together, L64/DD/WS was just too much to type. So, people started just calling it was ever they came up with, trinity, trilogy, triad, triumvirate basically anything that started with tri. Eventually someone suggested the group settle on a name. As stated above a vote was taken. There were all sorts of discussions about why trilogy didn't make sense and others did but, again if I recall correctly, triad was out because it was a gang name and trinity was out because people didn't like the relation to Christianity. Funny thing is, it was both religious people and non religious people that didn't like trinity for the same but opposite reasons.
DynaSide 64 rolls off the tongue splendidly in my opinion. :\

Rocthecourse, thanks for linking the prerube history. Too bad the "legend" is not around here too much anymore.

Why is an organization called the "Professional" Disc Golf Association comprised of a group which 75% of are classified as "amateurs"?

Why do we Americans call the most popular sport here "football" when only two positions who aren't even on the field half the time use their feet? And they only do that as a resignation of sorts.

I don't put much thought into those either.

"Soccer" is the nickname for "Association football", analagous to referring to "Rugby football" as "rugger". "American" and "Canadian" football evolved from Rugby, though there are also more than one kind of rugby: Rugby Union and Rugby League, with different rules and field markings. Then there is "Australian rules football," or "football," or "footy," as they call it in Australia, which also heavily involves running around the field with the ball in hand. Check the links below for some confirmation of that.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-americans-call-it-soccer-2014-6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football#Early_history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football

"Soccer" is the nickname for "Association football", analagous to referring to "Rugby football" as "rugger". "American" and "Canadian" football evolved from Rugby, though there are also more than one kind of rugby: Rugby Union and Rugby League, with different rules and field markings. Then there is "Australian rules football," or "football," or "footy," as they call it in Australia, which also heavily involves running around the field with the ball in hand. Check the links below for some confirmation of that.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-americans-call-it-soccer-2014-6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football#Early_history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football

Oh, I know the history of all these games. Just trying to show the OP that there are no shortage of things in the world bearing a moniker that perhaps doesn't reflect its current state of being as well as some other moniker could in a linguistic sense, but was stuck with out of respect for tradition, or because it sounded more marketable, or for whatever reason.

L.A. Lakers anyone?

Thinking about launching my own line of discs and calling it Trinity. First offerings would be:

The Father: A stable putter... that likes stable boys
The Son: Roc/Buzzz love child
The Holy Ghost: A very shapable fairway driver that seemingly has the ability to pass through trees on well wooded holes.

Oh, I know the history of all these games. Just trying to show the OP that there are no shortage of things in the world bearing a moniker that perhaps doesn't reflect its current state of being as well as some other moniker could in a linguistic sense, but was stuck with out of respect for tradition, or because it sounded more marketable, or for whatever reason.

Utah Jazz anyone?

FTFY :D