• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who named Trilogy?

Jessy

Seems to me that "trinity" or "triad" make more sense. "Trilogy" suggests that they were three companies who made discs, one company at a time, and then stopped. I figured I could find a thread on this, but not so far.

Seems to me that "trinity" or "triad" make more sense. "Trilogy" suggests that they were three companies who made discs, one company at a time, and then stopped. I figured I could find a thread on this, but not so far.

not sure how to link but i do know this has been beat to death in a couple of threads, i am sure you will get prerubed before too long.

Surely at least one, but maybe they got it wrong because English is not their first language, and nobody told them?

If I'm not mistaken, and for what it's worth (not much), I believe English is the first language of the majority of people who wanted to make trilogy a thing.

It's one of those things you probably shouldn't put too much thought into. It's kind of like why people sing "take me out to the ball game" when they're already there.

It's one of those things you probably shouldn't put too much thought into. It's kind of like why people sing "take me out to the ball game" when they're already there.

"The FORCE is strong with this one."

Why is an organization called the "Professional" Disc Golf Association comprised of a group which 75% of are classified as "amateurs"?

Why do we Americans call the most popular sport here "football" when only two positions who aren't even on the field half the time use their feet? And they only do that as a resignation of sorts.

I don't put much thought into those either.

It's fine to not care, but I'm interested in knowing the background of the people who did this; understanding the minds of people who make interesting language decisions will help me with my blog.

The name was developed by a group of rabid fans on a Facebook fan page. That page was really weird for awhile. If you ever even mentioned a non-"trilogy" disc you were banned. For instance, someone asked what they should buy to replace the beloved Teebird they recently lost. I asked "why not get another Teebird?" A huge ****-storm ensued, and I was promptly banned.

Last edited:
You want to know the back round of disc golfers who came up with the name trilogy? There may be a couple of misdemeanors and some sadness involved.

I am sure if you joined one of the fanboy sites on facebook you could get exactly what you want.

I if remember correctly, it started with people just looking for an abbreviation of sorts when trying to lump the 3 companies together, L64/DD/WS was just too much to type. So, people started just calling it was ever they came up with, trinity, trilogy, triad, triumvirate basically anything that started with tri. Eventually someone suggested the group settle on a name. As stated above a vote was taken. There were all sorts of discussions about why trilogy didn't make sense and others did but, again if I recall correctly, triad was out because it was a gang name and trinity was out because people didn't like the relation to Christianity. Funny thing is, it was both religious people and non religious people that didn't like trinity for the same but opposite reasons.

Latest posts