• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who Throws RHBH and LHFH?

Sethster

So I have been playing for a while, without much of a forehand. After my first attempt at random doubles today, I want to develop a forehand.

Except, I throw RHBH and LHFH. Does anyone else throw this way or am I a just a weird exception to the rule?

Most want both throwing styles to easily achieve both left and right fades. If you can't easily execute turnovers then there is no point IMO.

But my thinking is that RHBH and LHFH will give the same fade. Or will the act of a forehand drive change the flight of the disc?

But my thinking is that RHBH and LHFH will give the same fade. Or will the act of a forehand drive change the flight of the disc?

That's what he was saying... They give the same fade, therefore it's pointless. I've seen quite a few people that do it, there's no real point in practicing both since they do the same thing.

It can give an advantage as thier flight paths are different but it will yield about the same results. It be better to practice something else IMO.

That makes sense. So am I limiting myself by not having a forehand, or is it just about the ability to control the disc how I want?

I don't even think I could throw a RHFH, let alone a baseball with my right arm! :thmbdown:

if you can't throw RHFH, why not try out LHBH? That way you could get some hard right fades at the end of flight if you needed them.

Except, I throw RHBH and LHFH. Does anyone else throw this way or am I a just a weird exception to the rule?

This has come up a few times and there are actually quite a few people like this.....or the opposite (LHBH & RHFH). I am that way.

I also throw RHBH, but I do not practice that much so my confidence that I can be consistence is low. I only break it out on the course if there is no risk and nothing but reward - like a sharp turning R-L curve with woods on the left and everything on the right wide open.

RHBH LHFH

I do it as well but only use LHFH for short small window shots. I started out playing LHBH but switched to right hand. I should really practice my LHBH but for now i am confident in throwing purely RHBH.

Thanks for all the responses guys! So I won't worry to much about LHFH, and consider LHBH.

Last Question: Will a good anhyzer shot cover a lot of my right turn problems, or does a forehand offer a significant difference?

Yep RHBH and LHFH basically accomplish the same thing, exept that your forehand probably turns a little bit farther right before it fades back... right? It's always good to have another shot in your bag, so don't give up on it completely, but you'd benefit much more from learning a RHFH. It's nice to be able to throw hyzers that fade right and left -- the hyzer has always been my most accurate shot personally.

A good anhyzer shot is nice to have in your arsenal, so you should practice that for sure. I generally just use a RHFH instead of turnover shots because they don't go errant as often -- but there are certain holes that require the shape of an anhyzer (rhbh) as opposed to my FH.

IMO a rhfh is much much easier to throw than a right-turning anhyzer shot rhbh. Example: you throw an anhyzer rhbh, if you don't turn it over enough it's going to fade back left; if you turn it over too much it's going to hit the ground and roll away. A right-turning shot thrown RHFH might skip (keeping the line that it's on) but usually won't spike into the ground and roll far away.

Now you know how to throw it with your left hand, learn the right hand forehand and really add some improvement in your game.

Last Question: Will a good anhyzer shot cover a lot of my right turn problems, or does a forehand offer a significant difference?

Usually not exactly the same pattern. An anhyzer shot typically does most of its turning in the middle of the flight pattern and then starts it slow speed fade back towards the hyzer. A hyzer shot goes straight for most of the flight and the low speed hyzer fade is very pronounced at the end of the flight.

The exception is this: In the case of a spike hyzer (or a throw with an overstable disc released with hyzer), the pattern curves uniformly throughout the flight. You can pretty much duplicate this with an anhyzer if you throw a very understable disc high - it will follow roughly the same path. But, you need the room to do this and lots of holes do not afford you that room.

Last edited:
im naturally left handed but i throw back hand with my right... i have very dood distance and also a very good anhyzer... but i can only flick with my left hand and yes it does the same thing as my back hand just not as strong or far but i cant throw a good backhand with any control reaching 6 to 7 feet to the left of my lye (around a tree for instance)... now im working on a righthaned forehand but its very slow coming and i dont have good foot work or snap trying to thtrow lefthanded backhand... in short id keep working on your lefthanded forehand if only to get out of trouble... i dont know how the courses are your way but were im at theres alot of potental to find alot of trouble and any shot you can muster to get out of it is very useful

Latest posts