• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why are dg bags so weaksauce

craftsman

* Ace Member *
Just a few questions to think about;

Have you seen how well designed hiking backpacks are?
They have a price range simillar to dg bags yet look to be miles ahead in terms of weight distribution.

Why can't we have dg bags that don't look like goofy boxes hangin down by our as?
Why are the ones making backpack styles taking their cues from dg bags instead of hiking bags?

Has anyone shared these thoughts and if so, have you tried modding one??
I'm thining a simian style frame wedged in a front loading one.

How many people hike vs. how many disc golf? Most disc golf companies besides Innova are tiny and cater to a very niche consumer.

i just have my straps tightened up all the way so my carolina is up high on my back. feels like i'm wearing nothing at all. nothin at all, nothin at all, nothin at all

tumblr_lb0pt3EMGS1qctlmho1_250.gif

Sounds like you're looking for the Golf Mahal by Mystery Ranch. Disc gold back pack made my a outdoorsy company. Its pricey, but looks legit.

I'm happy with my bag and prefer the box shape you don't like. I set my bag down and it stays and I can see all my disc in one glance. The larger one I imagine have more trouble falling over and with the different compartments you could easily loose track of a disc. And if it is hanging by your butt you are doing it wrong :D. Lower Back/Top Cheek is where it is at. Also I am honestly scared to play the course that would require a heavy backpack style bag.

"Alright I got a birdie there where is the next hole?"
"About 2 miles up that nice steep mountain"

i understand your point. some people on the course just look uncomfortable.

backpack style seems like it would balance better, but i haven't tried one yet.

There are some quality bags out there but the industry is still in it's infancy. There was hardly any market for them 10 years ago, and even now a large percentage of rec players consider them unnecessary or even offensive. Some morons went around tagging Acorn with "Bags=*ags" [*=F]. A lot of the new bag/chair/cart companies are just small start ups. If you think you've got a great idea, the market it wide open for penetration.

I must admit I'm not entirely satisfied with what's out there, but my bag doesn't hurt my back and it carries all my discs, a towel, bag tag, large bottle of water, and a small snack, so it does the job.

There are some quality bags out there but the industry is still in it's infancy. There was hardly any market for them 10 years ago, and even now a large percentage of rec players consider them unnecessary or even offensive. Some morons went around tagging Acorn with "Bags=*ags" [*=F]. A lot of the new bag/chair/cart companies are just small start ups. If you think you've got a great idea, the market it wide open for penetration.

Well when you put it that way I can see why they might say that. :|

Sounds like an opportunity for you to step up buttercup and take over the disc golf world...

R & D! Hiking/Backpacking packs have evolved massively over the last century. People didn't feel a need to carry 30 discs "in style" till the early 2000s. We'll get there, just need more golfers to make paying for the R & D a feasible venture.

Another thing to keep in mind is how awkward a disc is. The bag designs that have the discs hanging off our backs perpendicular to our bodies are clumsy, but having them parallel only gives us 10-12 discs with our current bags until they are "boxy" just like the perpendicular designs. The tilted "shelve" design by GB is a nice step forward, and hopefully will open some minds to new ideas.

It's the exact same problem we have with DG shoes.

The high cost relative to hiking bags and the like is simple production levels. The more of something you produce, the lower the cost per manufactured item becomes. There are far more consumers of hiking bags than there are of high quality DG bags.

The poor design I attribute to a whole lot of "me too" innovation. Create the same box with straps and add a new pocket or a lined bottom and call is new. That's changing lately with the increase in backpack and luggage/roller style bags.

My only issue with the Mahal is that it seems like a DG bag designed through "hiking-colored glasses" if you know what I mean. It's a sweet looking bag, but the vast majority of golfers don't need all the storage that thing provides. Again, it's great for players that do need that kind of storage (ie. they prefer to carry 110 discs, 3 spare outfits and a reverse osmosis.)

I love my Revo Dual Pack. Weight distribution is perfect with it.

I switched half (HALF!!!) my discs into my discarrier the other day with phenix quads to "go a bit lighter," and it felt like I had twice the weight.

32 discs in dual pack FEELS LIGHTER than 18 in the discarrier with quads...

I had a discarrier and I have the same complaints. I did upgrade that to a GB Kong, and believe it or not the weight distribution is WAY better, so I can only imagine how the Mahal is going to be when I receive that.

I love my Revo Dual Pack. Weight distribution is perfect with it.

I switched half (HALF!!!) my discs into my discarrier the other day with phenix quads to "go a bit lighter," and it felt like I had twice the weight.

32 discs in dual pack FEELS LIGHTER than 18 in the discarrier with quads...

I think any bag with any quad strap can be adjusted one way or another to fit and be comfortable on anybody.