• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Why are panthers so under rated?

sanfo23

Bogey Member
I recently started throwing these bad boys and... WOW. They can do everything my leopards could. The minimal distance I lose between the two discs doesn't compare to how much control I gain. They can even handle some incredibly low ceiling shots for a mid. And they seem extremely consistent as far as the mold over time goes. Any other panther lovers out there?

The problem is that there are over 600 molds approved by the PDGA. Some of them, while great discs, will not be hyped up here on DGCR, and other sites.

The Panther is indeed a great disc.

It's a solid disc that seems to be made for getting me out of trouble. Big curving annies, low line drives, and trouble shots in the scrub are all things it excels at. I guess there's nothing spectacular about it, but it sure can do a lot. It's one of those feels just right discs; a real nondescript piece of greatness.

Unfortunately, for most Innova lovers, a beat Roc does what a Panther does, but better. At least thats what I am told, I don't currently throw Rocs or Panthers though.

Last edited:
is it bad to have everything in my bag is innova. i dont own a roc.. threw my fathers and my friends and i hated them. buzzzzzzz

I don't throw one but I know a guy that threw a panther like 90% of the time in the woods and he would destroy.

Before I picked up a Comet some years back I would always use a Panther. I could hit gaps,annies and could throw it about 330ft If I really cranked on it.I used it about 60% of the time.

I'm one of those older guys and I would much rather use a Panther than a Beat up Roc any day.

I definitely used a Panther back in the day. of course, I had a couple Rocs but I bought a Panther because the stamp was awesome and it was the only black disc at Bob Wards at the time. I don't remember much about it, but I did throw a Champion Panther a year or so ago and just didn't care for it. It didn't seem to have the same feel that I remember but that was ages ago..

I also don't see them around much anymore. Honestly, it's just way easier for my to find Tangents then it would be a Panther...and like I said, the Panther just doesn't have the feeling that I remember. But if I recall correctly it was one of the earliest Innova discs made with all-Pro input...basically they made it because their pros wanted it. So I know it was a bag stable int he early to mid 90s for a lot of Pros.

cuz their QB is all screwy in the head, cuz they gave some overrated RB's a **** ton of money, cuz they havent given their star WR any help on the outside, cuz their defense is better but still sketchy.

At the time I got one, I was throwing a beautiful champ coyote and the panther did the same thing as it, just faster. I figured I didn't need the extra speed and its been a distant memory in storage for years now.

It didn't seem to have the same feel that I remember...

A guy let us borrow a bunch of old discs when my dad and I started (who lets beginners throw fresh CE?) and my favorite was definately the DX Panther. Of course, he wanted them back eventually. I got a champ recently, but it just wasn't as nice. It wasn't understable at all.

And...
Then I got a Cobra, and my story is over.

HAH primal I am the same way... i throw all innova but a roc. Buzzz covers that straight/stable mid spot. but the panther isn't a roc at all. It's really fast for a mid. It can take a lot of power before it flips. Maybe the reason I like it so much now though is because I can actually throw discs properly now. I lost mine today ironically after posting this last night... hit a tree just right and gone into the abyss. :( but it's alright, I just have to find a new one. And ill have to try a cobra, never given them a true chance either. The mako 3 also looks enticing. I have heard they come out with a slight dome, could be fun.

Last edited:
LOL

cuz their QB is all screwy in the head, cuz they gave some overrated RB's a **** ton of money, cuz they havent given their star WR any help on the outside, cuz their defense is better but still sketchy.

This is the real answer, and I didnt even know It's the one I was looking for. Still laughing.

truth

I don't throw one but I know a guy that threw a panther like 90% of the time in the woods and he would destroy.

I agree with this more than anything. My home course is extremely wooded. Ultimate technical course utility disc. along with a rhyno/zone. Slower discs that can really cut lines save my butt.

The panther feels as comfortable at 80' as it does from 280' Really carves nice lines when you have tight windows.

I sure like mine. got a fuse recently, will compare the two. inflight has their ratings the same but others say they are diff.

Latest posts