• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do people Jump Putt?

I'll add that I don't really care either way, but a strict enforcement of the rule would result in a foul (in most cases). It was stated earlier in this thread that releasing and then jumping wouldn't work, so I'm assuming we're talking about jumping and then releasing.

And, to be honest, if you can gain an advantage, and they're letting you do it, then knock yourself out.

Nope, a legal jump putt is when you release the disc with a supporting point still in contact with the playing surface; and then hop or step forward of your lie.

Most people shift there weight at least a little on most putts. A jump putt is where your weight shift is powerful enough that your momentum carries you forward. This allows you to use your same putting motion with more weight shift to get more d on the same line.

Nope, a legal jump putt is when you release the disc with a supporting point still in contact with the playing surface; and then hop or step forward of your lie.

Most people shift there weight at least a little on most putts. A jump putt is where your weight shift is powerful enough that your momentum carries you forward. This allows you to use your same putting motion with more weight shift to get more d on the same line.

I guess there's enough debate as to whether most jump putts keep a foot on the ground. I'll stop with that, and add that I do realize that some are legal, and some are not.

you are confusing the fact that I AM NOT LAYING UP STANDSTILL THROWS...

why do you have to jump putt to run at the basket and get a higher % to go in? I see no facts to support this at all.

You % chances are made up. I have as much of a % chance to make a putt standing still as anyone else jumping at it...? No ones talking about layups here lol just that jumpers are not anymore accurate or better than a standstill shot and look silly to go with it.

LMK when there is some true stats that show a player makes more jump putts than someone who doesn't and jumpers give you a better % chance to make the comeback putt.

If a stand still putt was just as accurate or more accurate dont you think people at the top would have figured that out by now and would be doing that instead of jump putting.

Do us all a favor and keep your mouth shut from now on. When you have Mike C, Tpro and myself (all ligitimately good players) disproving everything you are saying, you should probably rethink your resoning.

yeah the DGCR gods have spoken..

LOL

get off your high horse bud.

FWIW-- how come Brody Smith is so accurate yet he doesn't jump?!

Last edited:
yeah from the guy who says he would jump into a river from his lie...

maybe you should make a real comment and get back to me'

Yup I have on multiple times and would do it again fi I needed to because I do whatever is necessary to put up the best shot possible, and if that means that my shoes get wet, so be it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGXwi4CA2nY

Lots of jumpers-- mostly airballs and off the top of the basket skips. I just don't see it but you guys must be better than them.

and a punter is kicking with his legs.. LMK when you kick a disc into the basket about following through like a punter :|

This just sounds like an attack to anyone who jump putts right now. If you don't like it, play ball golf imo.

It's like trying to argue against any other rule. People always fight the rules they don't like or the ones that give them the disadvantages.

If jump or step putts were so terribly inaccurate you would NEVER see top pros do such a thing.

Good luck with your witch hunt!

LOL

I got a infraction once for saying I Wasn't a GReek God. I still dont understand that one but yeah. But I dont understand your theory. Do I throw at baskets sometimes yes (Stand and Deliver). When I have to or want to Blow up the chains. BUT for me and most others The Falling putt works better. :wall:

Aim for the chains, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

I made a jump putt on Portage Lakes #9 for the first Eagle on the toughest hole of a hard course I've ever seen in competitive play. I was 80-90' out, on a slope, between trees and my legs were tangled in vines. I nailed it.

I can run a 100' putt because I know if I miss the jump putt, the lack of spin and the hyzer angle I use from that range means I have a ten foot comeback putt if I miss.

You are both talking out of your ass, and you're being incredibly condenscending to people who play golf different than you do. "Hopping around like a toad?"

You're making yourself look like an ass. Straight up. There's no reason to talk down to people who have a different putting style than you. I hope tou don't act this immature on the course.

I support this message! Get over yourself!

LOL

One thing you need to realize is that a lot of this people on this forum are not top tier disc golfers and they come here for advice and information and some of them will believe anything and everything they read. Im inclinded to not let people believe and think that things are right when they are really wrong. So no high horse here, just trying to help people become better players.

And the Brodie Smith comment. Umm let me see here. Why is Lebron so accurate when he jumps. Why are pitchers more accurate when they fall forwards when they pitch. Why do tennis players jump when they serve.

I'm not DGCR royalty, i'm not a highly rated player, but i agree with what everyone defending the jump putt has said. Horesmann probably shouldn't have worded that response quite that way, it did come across slightly elitist. But at the same time, a varied group of people have been correcting flawed logic for a long time in this thread, and sometimes you have to say it like it is....There is a reason better players use the jump putt. I mean, McBeth used a bunch (and hit them) in his -15 at USDGC. Climo used it a few times at USDGC that same round, Feldbeard all the time. Nikko, Ricky all great legal jump putters.

There is a reason the best players jump putt. It obviously is a skill that assists them in scoring better over alternate ways of throwing from that distance. That is why i work on it as well. It's why i work on my FH. Can i flip a disc as a turnover, yup. But there are many times when a FH is the better shot, so i use it. Does that mean i suck and can't manipulate my discs? Nope, it means my goal is to make the best shot I can to score the lowest score on that hole. I don't care how you do it, as long as it's legal. So why do you care how I do it?

I have no theory. People are saying jump putts > than standstill and there is nothing to support that statement which is all I've said.

MikeC starts off the gospel by saying "whats there to get?!" (you must be an idiot im a DG GOD!)
"A jump putting motion can extend X by 30', if not more, while being more accurate and less prone to skips than a throwing motion. " -- ummm show me the facts to support those exact claims b/c i don't see it in real life. If anything, looks like a lot of jump putts go up way high land with a ton of hyzer and are very unpredictable from one to the other specially when they land compared to throwing a flat straight shot.

I'm not DGCR royalty, i'm not a highly rated player, but i agree with what everyone defending the jump putt has said. Horesmann probably shouldn't have worded that response quite that way, it did come across slightly elitist. But at the same time, a varied group of people have been correcting flawed logic for a long time in this thread, and sometimes you have to say it like it is....

Yea, I tried my best for it to not come across like it did, and as you can tell from my rating I am in no way an elite player. But I felt I had to start attacking him so that people wouldnt just believe every word that comes out of his mouth.

I have no theory. People are saying jump putts > than standstill and there is nothing to support that statement which is all I've said.

MikeC starts off the gospel by saying "whats there to get?!" (you must be an idiot im a DG GOD!)
"A jump putting motion can extend X by 30', if not more, while being more accurate and less prone to skips than a throwing motion. " -- ummm show me the facts to support those exact claims b/c i don't see it in real life. If anything, looks like a lot of jump putts go up way high land with a ton of hyzer and are very unpredictable from one to the other specially when they land compared to throwing a flat straight shot.

And you could also miss a throw at the basket by 50', hit a tree and get a horrible kick because you threw the disc.

LOL

Brodie Smith throws Lids. Soo I dont understand..?

Stand&Deliver > Jump Putts.... is your Theory.

Typical arguing semantics over actual technique.

Still waiting for real answers not just opinion based rebuttals.