• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do some disc get bent out of shape?

wolito

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
I have noticed that some of my discs are bent out of shape sometimes. I am not sure if it is becuase I seem to hit trees all the time or not. More often then not though it is with my putters, DX Aviar or SS Voodoo. I have to carefuly bend them back into shape. How does a disc that is slightly bent affect it's flight? Why is this just with my putters? What causes this and how can I stop it?

Lower grade plastic "taco" very easily. Buy champion plastic or star for innova ESP elite Z for discraft. The disc become less stable. Meaning that a disc that normally flies straight will turn right if you are a right handed back hander. Discs that cut left before being bent will fly a bit straighter. If the disc keep turning over on you than try throwing with more tilt on the hyzer angle. (edge opposite of hand down)

Lower grade plastics will deform. Usually its part of the normal wear on discs though. Older molds of Innova were made with the wear of DX in mind, so that they would develop the intended flight path as they were used. Newer plastics/molds don't seem to have this property.

DX for putters though

I certianly understand durability issues, but enjoy how the DX feels as a putter and can't imagine putting with harder plastic such as star or champ. I use mainly Champ for my drivers and don't have this problem. As mentioned my recent putter purchase of SS Voodoo, which has been awesome thus far, already has a slight bend in it. Not that big of a deal I suppose, I just bend it back. However since I am very new to Gateway putters, what would be a suitable Gateway putter that is firm enough not to be prone to bending issues and still feel comfortable as the SS Voodoo?

For Gateway, I find you have to go to medium to avoid warpage. Personally, I haven't found waprage to really have a huge effect on flight for Wizards. They feel a little different but it dosen't seem to mess anything up. At most they loose a bit of HSS, but that's not always a bad thing.

Heat will also warp discs, especially if they are not sitting flat or straight up/down and you leave them in your car. Putters don't have a thick rim, so they warp easier, but its usually not a big deal with putters since most are naturally more flexible.

For Gateway, get the disc you like in a soft plastic for putting and get it in a stiffer plastic for driving.
It sucks when you have to retire your favorite putter because it looks like a Gateway Super Soft taco

The Gateway putters have super thin flight plates. It's part of why they fly so great, but it's also why you see so many guys putting with a "clovered" Wizard. Just the pressure of pushing down with your thumb in the same place will deform the flight plate in not too long of a time. Other putters will do this as well, but it takes a lot longer for it to happen.

I've never really noticed a huge difference in the flight of the discs, however. Some people actually like it as it makes the disc more comfortable to grip.

That it has also happened to an Aviar is surprising. I've got a bunch of 10+ year-old Aviars, and I have never had a problem with them. The old "soft" Aviar P & A's used to have flight plates that would droop (for lack of a better term) and create a little ridge all the way around, but the flight plate itself stayed straight. So having a tacoed Aviar is a bit more surprising to me. A tacoed Gateway putter is just part of the deal when you start throwing Gateway.

I have noticed that some of my discs are bent out of shape sometimes. I am not sure if it is becuase I seem to hit trees all the time or not. More often then not though it is with my putters, DX Aviar or SS Voodoo. I have to carefuly bend them back into shape. How does a disc that is slightly bent affect it's flight? Why is this just with my putters? What causes this and how can I stop it?

It's because you touch yourself at night.
Naw I'm just kidding, that's not why.

But yeah, it will affect it's flight path. Softer discs are probably more prone to this, but the air and drag will affect a 'warped' disc differently, changing it's flight.

I had a warped putter, and I just left it outside on hot concrete. It only took about 15 minutes to flatten it back out, and it wasn't long enough to lose any dome on the disc.

My aviar completely folded in half and had a crease in it after I tried a drive with it and hit a tree 10' in front of me.

A Boss without low speed turn!

Heat will also warp discs, especially if they are not sitting flat or straight up/down and you leave them in your car. Putters don't have a thick rim, so they warp easier, but its usually not a big deal with putters since most are naturally more flexible.

Ok so say this happens to most your discs because you don't play for a month but left your bag in your car. Is there anyway to fix deformities in a driver? For example my Boss now will not turn right and I am a RH Forearm thrower. Any suggestions?

Latest posts