• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why Do We Shake Hands Before The Last Hole?

jmhoekst

Birdie Member
This has always blown my mind. You're on the tee box of your final hole in a tournament round and your group comes in for the "nice round" and high-fives. Why do we do this? I played a lot of different sports growing up, team and individual, and in NONE of them do teams/players do this before the completion of the game/match.

Lately, I've been asking people why we do this. Why, when the round is still going on, do we say "nice round" and shake hands? Here are the only two answers I've ever received:

1.) It's how we've always done it.
2.) Disc golfers are whiny babies and storm off the course after putting out and you won't otherwise get a chance.

So, why do you think we do it? Should we?

Your mind easily blown. And #2 is, of course, cynical; virtually every group I've ever played with, hung around to check the card after the round, anyway.

I've no idea why we do it, but as for "should we?", I say, why not? It's a nice gesture, especially after you've hung around with the same group for half a day, some of whom you won't see again in the tournament.

I've always wondered why we don't hug. :|

I don't mind the handshakes. I won't start them as I prefer to stay focused through the end of the round and it does take me away a little bit when everyone start shaking hands like we're done. I like it less when somebody with the cards decides to try and tell everyone where they stand with 1 hole remaining. If somebody wants to know, they can ask to look over the cards, otherwise keep it to yourself.

What's wrong with a little courtesy and respect for your fellow competitors?

He's not saying we shouldn't do it, he's saying we should wait until after the round is over.

You're really competing against the course, not the players in your group, each who are just along to enhance each of your personal battles. Perhaps kicking or stomping the ground before the last hole would express your dissatisfaction with the course. ;)

I think it has to do with the lead card and everyone else does it for consistency. If you're the lead card, then someone in your group is going to be celebrating and hugging their people, etc. Makes coordinating a round of handshakes a little awkward so we shake hands before the last hole instead.

I have no issues with it and I'm always a good sport. I just find it strange. Chuck, has it always been this way?

At least in my groups, it's usually a knuckle bump or high five versus a handshake especially if you're right handed. Players many times have sweaty hands and you don't need to get any more from the other players before that last drive.

I think the gesture before the last hole has been going on since before I started in 1989. I think one reason may be to indicate it's the last hole since disc golf was virtually all shotgun starts so every group finished on a different hole. It's sort of like a white flag used to signal the final lap in a race.

Because 90% of the time, after I see my final score, I don't feel anyone should be shaking my hand and saying "nice round". Patting me on the back to console me? Perhaps.

Either that, or maybe we just want to go to lunch, or home.

Pretty sure Mel Gibson started it back in '95.

Braveheart.jpg

I think it has to do with the lead card and everyone else does it for consistency. If you're the lead card, then someone in your group is going to be celebrating and hugging their people, etc. Makes coordinating a round of handshakes a little awkward so we shake hands before the last hole instead.

This is the best answer I've heard.

Clearly because we anticipated throngs of spectators, fans and groupies rushing in after the winning putt, lifting the victor into the air and bringing them to the winners circle for photos and their check for several million dollars. They wouldn't have time to shake hands at that point.

I'll throw my guess out there. Doesn't work with a shotgun start but so people don't stick around the final basket shaking hands or whatever if others are behind them?

....because a kick in the nuts is just mean.

:D That is Hilarious. :thmbup:

As impractical as it may be, or for whatever reason it is done when it is, I say it's a Great thing for people to see as we try and "Grow the Sport". When people that don't play, or even people that do play, can see the Highest Level throwers in the sport shake hands and be Nice to each other BEFORE they Finish the round, it says A LOT about the sport, and the folks that play it. In my eyes, anyway. It is different that it is done this way, but it makes this sport Unique and Shows Disc Golf has a Little Class, IMO. :clap:

In my experience, everyone playing adds to the enjoyment of the round.

Some by playing, some by leaving.

At the end of a tournament round it is only right to wish others well on the rest of their tournament.

Last edited:

Latest posts