• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do you have understable discs in your bag?

I'll admit I don't keep up on what pros are throwing at a given time, so maybe it's fairly common knowledge he only bags destroyers for distance drivers. I just thought most Innova pros carry Destroyers, Bosses, and Wraiths.

I don't make a point to keep up, either, though I do watch ITB videos if they come up. Most(Innova) pros carry Destroyers, Bosses, -OR- Wraiths. Some may carry multiple molds, but they usually settle on one. IIRC, Ken Climo uses the Wraith.

I don't know why I was surprised about McBeth carrying only Roc3s and Mako3s as mids. It just struck me, though. I think McBeth once carried a Gator as a utility disc; I seem to remember him throwing one to get out of trouble at either BSF or Worlds a few years ago.

It surprised me he carries so many molds. 3 different putter molds, for example. And it especially surprises me that he carries a second mid mold, frankly. Dude has to have plenty of seasoned Roc3s. Those Makos just feel SO different. And I didn't notice them doing anything I can't do with a seasoned Roc.

Dude definitely knows what he is doing though. From experience. Like, from actually throwing Frisbees. *cough*

Tight wooded hole with dense trees on both sides of a narrow fairway, you end up 125' away on the right edge just off the fairway. Fairway dog legs right to the basket. It's impossible to forehand (assuming RH player) because of dense trees to the right. The only line you have is RHBH that must hold the line all the way to the basket -- if it fades early you're in dense woods to the left.
Take the same scenario only flip it around so the dogleg is left and you're on the left side just off the fairway. No backhand possibility, so FH the understable putter or mid, depending on the length.
Without understable discs that hold the line all the way, you just can't get close to the basket -- add a stroke or more.

Good scenario. Here's one I face on my home course all the time:

The 18th hole goes through a narrow chute of pine trees, slightly uphill. Then, all of this to the left: there is the 12th hole tee pad (not adequately protected, IMHO), then a row of cedar trees that one does NOT want to put one's arm into to retrieve a disc, then there's the 11th hole basket, then magnolia trees.

I throw my Fury RHBH on this shot. To the right it's a clear field of grass. The Fury will come out of the chute of trees, turn over to the right, and land where I have a clear shot for my next throw. The turnover backhand gets me more distance than a forehand, and less chance of hitting those pine trees.

I'll admit I don't keep up on what pros are throwing at a given time, so maybe it's fairly common knowledge he only bags destroyers for distance drivers. I just thought most Innova pros carry Destroyers, Bosses, and Wraiths.

What got me was the number of mids Paul carries. Of course he throws mids like I throw fairways.

Tight wooded hole with dense trees on both sides of a narrow fairway, you end up 125' away on the right edge just off the fairway. Fairway dog legs right to the basket. It's impossible to forehand (assuming RH player) because of dense trees to the right. The only line you have is RHBH that must hold the line all the way to the basket -- if it fades early you're in dense woods to the left.

Take the same scenario only flip it around so the dogleg is left and you're on the left side just off the fairway. No backhand possibility, so FH the understable putter or mid, depending on the length.

Those two scenarios are two of the reasons (as well as tailwind and uphill shots) that I carry understable discs.

But if I can throw either a turnover shot or a forehand I will throw a forehand. I am more accurate with a forehand then throwing a turnover shot and have about the same distance with the forehand as my backhand.

Two reasons really:

1. Why make a disc do something it's not really designed to do? It's easier to throw an under stable disc than to modify your throw with a stable disc.

2. I am a left handed backhand and 2/3 of the holes I play favor right handed players. So it's easier to pull out and under stable disc than to fight a hole with a stable disc. I never have to wonder if the disc is going to go where I intended, it does it by design.

1. No Doubt
2. Less Cedar and more Apex for holes that finish right. LOL.

What in the hell are you talking about?

Yes, I may use a nuke for a freaking cut roller that will go a net 25'. You are missing the point.

I know it's been a while, but I don't think I'm missing any point. Your original post asked why people carry understable discs. Predictably, they are for shots that need to flip up and hold straight or to stay turned over for longer. However, my follow up to your rhetorical questions post was simply trying to state that many discs can be used in multiple situations, depending on your needs and comfort level with the throw in question. Focusing on US/S/OS becomes more flexible as you learn to shape the shot you need.

Forehand...
Understable forehand is great when you are stuck in the left of the fairway and need to throw left...backhand won't work for hyzer route
Overhand
Understable overhand shots flip faster...

Taking a lesson from and playing a round with Nate was the best thing I have ever done for my game.

Anyone who has an opportunity to take an actual lesson with a 1000+ rated player ought to do it. Stat.

I agree! I took a lesson from Nate recently. He is a great teacher.

US discs in my bag:

Wedge, Condor, beat DX FT Roc, *Lite RR, beat Polaris LS, Heat (x2), beat Lace

Hyzer flips are the most fun shots to execute well in DG. Spike hyzers are the most fun to throw though...

for hyzer flips, hyzer flip turnovers, standstill throws, and rollers. You can get by without them provided you throw well both backhand and forehand, but some lines are still better with a turnover or anhyzer (though I'd typically throw a stable disc for anhyzer shots). I find it much much easier to hit gaps that have trouble close and to the right with a hyer flip.

Also - distance. The only way I can get 400 ft is with a hyzer flip Katana.

Because I learned how to throw frisbees with an Ultrastar, and that's an understable disc.
I wouldn't necessarily call an Ultrastar understable... it is very HSS unless ripped on at like 275 or so. As an ultimate player I can give one enough height to glide out and a moderate hyzer and have it coast all the way down the field.
I carry US discs because sometimes I don't want to rip a stable disc ridiculously hard, or if something needs a slow panning right turn

Throwing shots that don't flip all the way flat so that they coast on a slight hyzer forever and get you a ton of distance that isn't possible with an overstable disc.

Someone else said a turnover forehand. I just played a course that had at least 3 holes on it that curved WAY left and pretty sharp. They were short holes, but there is no way I could get a RHBH all the way to the pin since I was in the woods and didn't have unlimited airspace. So I threw a forehand that turned over and coasted and coasted and coasted. Incredible to watch if you can pull it off. Only parked one of the three, but it was awesome.

90% of the time I'm throwing an understable disc unless I really need the stability of an overstable one. Which is usually only on windy days. Typically, I get my understable discs to do whatever shot I need and don't even bother carrying overstable discs besides a thumber only disc sometimes and my main forehand disc which is a Teerex.

They're for more than just right turns (RHBH).

I like throwing with a hyzer release. Under stable discs are great for long straight shots when thrown that way. I also like using them for left-turning shots where I want a long gradual curve. My feeling is that you can make an under stable disc do anything whereas over stable discs have a much more limited set of options (which is good for consistency but bad for versatility).

shots that start on hyper and finish with no fade
throwing up hill
shots that finish to the right with no skip
tailwinds

should I go on?