• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why does a flat top equal more stable?

Flat tops are always more stable then hippy disc golfers.
entry.gif

Is there any discs that are understable and have a high plh in relation to other discs in their speed category?

It seems like the typical formula for each speed is lower plh = understable higher plh = overstable, and Dome accentuates the stability.

Flat top does not equal more overstable. As if words like "glide" and "overstable" weren't overgeneralizing enough.

I prefer flat discs, but only because I prefer the way they look. In my mind, they seem like they would fly better, and thats good enough for me!

Depends on the mold. IMO Domey Destroyers are overstable. Flat Teebirds are overstable. Flat Rocs have less glide. Flat Firebirds are wickedly overstable.

Last edited:
You guys are not considering the Quantum effects here. If you integrate the mass of the Disc in the 3d complex plane around the singularity of the center of the Disc, then take the limit as the curvature of the front plate goes to zero, it is clear that flatness causes a 2nd order correction to wind resistance, and will generate stability IFF the rim width is ~1/8 of the Disc's radius. I think it was Werner Heisenburg that said:

"Not only is the Universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think."

And then Aced Top of the World with his slide ruler..

^^^awesome!
Someone should run with your Black Hole theme & name a line of discs...Singularity, (Event) Horizon, (Quantum) Tunnel, (Einstein-Rosen) Bridge, (Gamma Ray) Burst,

I think it was Blake T that said that domey discs tend to fade harder at the end of the flight, and, consequently, fight out of high speed turn more than a flat disc would.

Some flat discs aren't more stable for me than the domey versions. I don't think this is all true (it is for 12x firebirds from my testing) but domey destroyers seem more OS than flat ones in star plastic of about the 10 i have thrown.

Some flat discs aren't more stable for me than the domey versions. I don't think this is all true (it is for 12x firebirds from my testing) but domey destroyers seem more OS than flat ones in star plastic of about the 10 i have thrown.

The teebird is more overstable when flat

Flat disc =less air resistance this faster more speed thus if thrown fast enough more lift understable

Domey disc=more air resistance slower less speed thus it won't go fast enough to create lift over stable

Flat disc=less air resistance thus faster if not thrown fast enough will not generate enough speed and lift thus it fades hard over stable

Domey disc=more air resistance if thrown fast enough will lift dramatically and flip thus understable

So essentially it all depends on the throwers arm speed or how much wind there is that day

This conundrum confuses many can't understand the duality of disc flight

Don't know if its been said, but if the op was throwing one of those fluke 2nd run ce valks that were super overstable then I would suggest the op throw a five time valk to see what a more understable valk really flys like. Some of those 2nd runs were beefcakes.

I finally got my hands on an OS, board flat disc (CE Valk) that has excellent glide and found some wind to throw it into yesterday. I noticed that my nearest equivalent disc (star Orc) flew almost identical down wind and/or down-to-side wind but much less stable into the wind than the Valk.

Could it be the domier disc catches more of the wind due to surface resistance?

That's because the 2nd run, board flat CE Valk's are the greatest disc ever made. Glide, OS, but very stable (Straight) start of flight with limited to no turning, and solid OS finish. And can't be compared to any other disc I've ever thrown.

As a tip with that disc, if RHBH, and wind is dead left-to-right, thrown flat the disc will go dead straight forever!!