• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Why has no one cloned CE yet?

where are you getting your facts from?
It doesn't really matter. He had a point that pro players throw Destroyers and Wraiths and stuff that is not CE all the time. Doss has won three World's and a USDGC, and you know he doesn't have CE in his bag. CE isn't magic, you don't HAVE to have CE in your bag. He just overstated it to make it sound like none of the top players throw any CE, which is false.

CE is cool plastic. You still have to throw it, though. I still have not seen a CE Valk jump out of a dude's bag and fling itself under the basket.

The few CE discs in my bags are by far my favorite throwers. I think to say all CE is better than any other plastic or all CE sucks is stupid. There is a ton of variation in the plastic and between the various runs of it. Personally, I prefer the later runs of champy looking plastic for TLs and Firebirds and dislike the softer, taffy/waxy like plastic that feels like a crayon. I have yet to handle a better feeling plastic than CE. That is not to say that other companies aren't producing plastic today that is equivalent in durability, but none have successfully reproduced CE.
Everybody has their favorite plastic. My favorite was Discraft Tournament Pro. God I love that stuff, it had grip like nothing I've come across since. It's gone, though. You get over it. Stick an X Comet and an ESP Cyclone in the bag and go throw some disc golf.

I have a feeling that disc golf has grown so much and Innova sells so many more Champ discs now then they sold CE disc then that the notion that they need to replicate CE would make them chuckle.

I want pearly no time beast type plastic with its gummy nonsense and old school dx and kc pro that doesn't wear out in a couple rounds. Can't say I care to much at all for this new champ that's floating around though, all the looks of opto with none of the grip.

I have yet to handle a better feeling plastic than CE. That is not to say that other companies aren't producing plastic today that is equivalent in durability, but none have successfully reproduced CE.

disagree with this.

lat's opto line. especially in certain runs (most recently the 164g opto tridents) feels gripper, is every bit as durable and comes in whole lot of cooler colors!

i still have some prime ce leos and eagles in my stash, but other than nostalgic reasons i'll be selling them off one day.

it's funny when i would let ce plastic fanatics and older innova pro's fondle the lat tridents - always the same response: usually a 'squint' in the eyes signaling disbelief, followed by nods of 'wow, that's some pretty fricken nice plastic".

ps. the new stuff coming from prodiscus is just unreal in feel and durability.

i always loved the feel of ce plastic and the different runs had different attributes that at the time i liked. but a ce bird compared with an 11x champion firebird are so different in terms of stability, that a ce bird may as well be a valkyrie. also, i would say that the star plastic (comparable to the best of the ce taffy runs with regards to feel of plastic) and the champion runs (candy ce) are all currently being produced to varying degrees by different manufacturers.
satisy your desire for nostalgia by grabbing one from your stash and pretending that they are good as we once thought!

I've heard that ce was stopped due to its extended time needed to cool and space restraints. I don't know the exact times but it makes sense to me that if it is true, it would be a matter of a business increasing productivity to meet a demand. I've heard something like 10-15 minutes cooling time for earlier ce as apposed to 3-5 minutes for champion. Do the math and you increase output by up to 5x. Add on top of that less molding blems and why would Innova ever look back?

I've heard that ce was stopped due to its extended time needed to cool and space restraints. I don't know the exact times but it makes sense to me that if it is true, it would be a matter of a business increasing productivity to meet a demand. I've heard something like 10-15 minutes cooling time for earlier ce as apposed to 3-5 minutes for champion. Do the math and you increase output by up to 5x. Add on top of that less molding blems and why would Innova ever look back?

They wouldn't, and they haven't.

The cooling time theory sounds unlikely, especially since CE plastic really isn't all that different from a bunch of current production plastics.

I think a lot of the mystique that surrounds ce is due to its era in disc golf.
1. The first great distance drivers had recently arrived on the scene.
2. For the first time you could buy drivers that would actually last a full season and not taco on wooded courses.
3. For us old folks who have seen our molds changed, tweaked, and worn out this era is when our birds and leos still flew true to their original design.

This was the dawn of a new age in disc golf for those of us who were around so we latch onto it and hold it up on a pedistal.
Personally I like star more than I ever did ce and think people paying premium prices for ce throwers are stupid, but I get where they're coming from because I remember the golden age of disc golf :p

Well said.