• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Why No Top Pro throwing MVP?

Glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way about Neutron.

but once you get one like this... OHHH MY'

20141206_202859.jpg

MMMM. This crave is PRICELESS.

Seems that sponsoring top pros is not a priority, as has been stated here. I don't throw any. I bought a Volt when they first came out, loved it. When I lost it, the replacement Volt I bought is a glideless meathook. This is the one thing that will turn me against purchasing and using discs from any company...consistancy.

Seems that sponsoring top pros is not a priority, as has been stated here. I don't throw any. I bought a Volt when they first came out, loved it. When I lost it, the replacement Volt I bought is a glideless meathook. This is the one thing that will turn me against purchasing and using discs from any company...consistancy.

jJkheg.jpg

When Prodigy started and only had a few drivers out, GG bagged the mid...can't remember what one, I think it was the overstable one.

Yeah, one bad disc can steer a person away from a company for a while. I am new to the whole overmold game but I feel that way about the Crave that I bought. Even though I read so much about how people love this disc, mine is a complete dud. Glideless (almost) meathook pretty much sums it up. I would equate it to the Discraft OOP Talon which is not at all what the disc is supposed to be. Wish I had my money back I already have a Talon. If it wasn't for my Theory being so dang sweet I might have lost faith altogether.

It's so bad I almost wondered if I somehow got a mislabeled Clash.

Wondering when some company is going to try a new philosophy in the vein of REI, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, Patagonia etc. and start offering no questions asked replacements. :popcorn:

Last edited:
Last I heard his finger injury was holding him back. He hasn't posted much recently though, so maybe there's more than just that.

Didn't Bradley Williams finish in the top ten at last years Worlds with a broken throwing hand?

Find me 20 people outside DGCR who care what pros throw, then we can talk about why no top pros (who don't really venture outside the stuff given to them by manufacturers) throw MVP.

I'll wait. :popcorn:

So, put another way, you've given up the game until such a company exists...or such a word.

That feedback is interesting. Consistency is one of the main reasons why I like MVP. While no one is perfect, I've found that run to run their discs are very consistent. Granted there were the issues early on with the Volt/Amp/Shock and early tweets to the Ion but since then I haven't heard of any wide-spread problems.

I like the stamps and the theme. I liked the Anode a lot for driving.

No one seems to be 100% consistent. What matters to me is that I can reliably find what I need to throw. To that point, I would probably have thrown more MVP/Axiom if I had been looking for something that their lineup covered as I was filling out my bag. I remember really wanting to pick up the Tesla but a lot of the initial reviews on Infinite were pretty negative.

Pro sponsorship is basically a complex marketing effort. I would assume they are waiting to be in the best position to benefit from the exposure before making the expenditure. err, ROI like all those other people said.

Having a full disc line up has nothing to do with sponsoring pros. Many companies offer open bag options to their sponsored players.

Also, most, if not all, pros would ditch their bag they grew up throwing for a sponsored bag. Please don't think their is loyalty to plastic like that when money is on the table. Pros get offers from competitive companies yearly, some one mentioned companies wouldn't take kindly to their pros shopping around. This is a business, not a friendship circle.

The true driver, that has been mentioned, lies with the company. If they wanted pros throwing MVP, there would be pros throwing MVP. They seem to be running off a different model, which appears to be working well for them.

Having a full disc line up has nothing to do with sponsoring pros. Many companies offer open bag options to their sponsored players.

Yep, they could let pros throw whatever they want, but it dilutes their message.

But it does matter that they have a full lineup. If I decide I'm going to compete with Coca Cola I'm not going to spend money on advertising until I have a Diet option too. Thats just a waste of money now when I could get better return on it when I'm in a better position to turn marketing generated interest in to dollars.

Although the two Volts I tried were very different, the consistancy with the rest of MVPs discs I have tried were good. I didn't like my tesla much either, it didn't seem to have any glide...

as for the do pros sell discs debate. That just happened in another thread with good points made and no opinions changed.