• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why overstable for OH?

Also, the Vulcan and such are advertised as great for new players, but we know that isn't true.

Here's where I have have a problem with people who have only been playing .9 years. This forum makes him think he knows so much more about the sport than anyone else, including disc manufactuers - that's just silly. He contradicts himself, then says that Innova doesn't know what they're doing? C'mon...:wall:

I don't care what Innova says, the Vulcan is not a good disc for beginners. Let's be logical here.

I don't care what Innova says, the Vulcan is not a good disc for beginners. Let's be logical here.

Why is that? It's an understable disc, which are good for beginners. If you're asking if it's a good disc for a rookie to be throwing on a 160 ft hole, probably not. Is it good for him to get the most distance on a wide open hole? probably.

The people that say that FH and OH destroy your arm are the same people that say that you need overstable plastic to throw FH. It's not a coincidence that both of those statements are only true for people that don't throw FH properly. The injury concern probably isn't the only reason those guys don't throw FH. Their scores are better throwing BH.

I've seen guys in their 60s that are still chucking FH and it's because they have proper technique. Non-coincidentally, they aren't throwing MAXes.

Here's where I have have a problem with people who have only been playing .9 years. This forum makes him think he knows so much more about the sport than anyone else, including disc manufactuers - that's just silly. He contradicts himself, then says that Innova doesn't know what they're doing? C'mon...:wall:

the whole .9 years I have been getting a disc golf education on DGR and I have been practicing in the field. I am a sponge of information, and you can debate my credentials all you want, I do not care.

I know what I am saying, and if you believe innova's next big bad driver is great for people throwing <350'/noobs, call me in a year when you are plateauing in your distance, or those noobs you gave a vulcan are.

Why is that? It's an understable disc, which are good for beginners. If you're asking if it's a good disc for a rookie to be throwing on a 160 ft hole, probably not. Is it good for him to get the most distance on a wide open hole? probably.

These discs are designed to go a certain cruising speed, and when they don't get up to speed, they act more overstable. New players will compensate (unknowingly) for this overstability by adding OAT into their throw, robbing them of power, and the ability to throw slower, less stable discs.

I guess my argument was form related, huh? let me think...

alright, high speed discs are just not as accurate as lower speed ones. They allow for less margin of error in cruising speed, nose angles, and hyzer/anhyzer angles. Less margin of error = less consistency.

what I just wrote in the noobie question thread regarding high speed discs and new players.

The people that say that FH and OH destroy your arm are the same people that say that you need overstable plastic to throw FH. It's not a coincidence that both of those statements are only true for people that don't throw FH properly. The injury concern probably isn't the only reason those guys don't throw FH. Their scores are better throwing BH.

I've seen guys in their 60s that are still chucking FH and it's because they have proper technique. Non-coincidentally, they aren't throwing MAXes.

genius. I've been reading this thread and had decided that the reason I throw an Avenger SS for OH shots is because I don't need overstable discs for my FH throw. But I never try to throw a powerful OH shot. I throw it as an escape shot, sort of lob to a clear area short of my target and get a slide foreward. I'd be hospitalized if I tried to power an overstable disc OH.

the whole .9 years I have been getting a disc golf education on DGR and I have been practicing in the field. I am a sponge of information, and you can debate my credentials all you want, I do not care.

I know what I am saying, and if you believe innova's next big bad driver is great for people throwing <350'/noobs, call me in a year when you are plateauing in your distance, or those noobs you gave a vulcan are.

Yeah, and in my 5.2 I've been I've been completely oblivious to anything disc golf. You're the one who thinks he's a disc golf god already. I didn't say ANY high speed driver is good for beginners, I said an understable disc is good for beginners.

How can you even begin to start saying you're going to be outdriving me in a year? You know nothing about how far I throw, or how far I'll throw in a year. Really?

Yeah, and in my 5.2 I've been I've been completely oblivious to anything disc golf. You're the one who thinks he's a disc golf god already. I didn't say ANY high speed driver is good for beginners, I said an understable disc is good for beginners.

How can you even begin to start saying you're going to be outdriving me in a year? You know nothing about how far I throw, or how far I'll throw in a year. Really?

I didn't mean to say I out threw you, I meant if you play how you talk you will probably plateau

I don't think I am a god, I have a lot to still learn.

I do agree that understable discs are good for beginners, just not too fast.

I think OS discs are best for FH, my arm never hurts, though.

I didn't mean to say I out threw you, I meant if you play how you talk you will probably plateau

I don't think I am a god, I have a lot to still learn.

I do agree that understable discs are good for beginners, just not too fast.

"If I play like I talk?" You mean the fact that I don't throw a Teebird on a 500 foot hole? That's because I'm not a beginner and I know form already. Everybody plateaus as far as distance goes. Otherwise people would continuously be beating world records for distance every month, week or day. Some people will never throw 400 ft and it's not because they're throwing a disc that's faster than a speed 8.

"If I play like I talk?" You mean the fact that I don't throw a Teebird on a 500 foot hole? That's because I'm not a beginner and I know form already. Everybody plateaus as far as distance goes. Otherwise people would continuously be beating world records for distance every month, week or day. Some people will never throw 400 ft and it's not because they're throwing a disc that's faster than a speed 8.

throwing discs that are too fast can make that plateau come earlier.

someone plateauing at 400' with a speed 13 driver still has plenty of work cut out for them if they want to throw further (not everyone wants to put in the work to throw farther, which is fine). It is easier to work out kinks and flaws in your form if you are throwing lower speed discs.

And some people will never throw 400 ft and it is because they're throwing a disc that's faster than a speed 8.

EDIT: BTW SlowRoll, I love that Daughtry song.

Last edited:
throwing discs that are too fast can make that plateau come earlier.

someone plateauing at 400' with a speed 13 driver still has plenty of work cut out for them if they want to throw further (not everyone wants to put in the work to throw farther, which is fine). It is easier to work out kinks and flaws in your form if you are throwing lower speed discs.

You really think if someone is throwing a Boss they'll never be able to figure out how to make travel at it's longest potential? Please.

You really think if someone is throwing a Boss they'll never be able to figure out how to make travel at it's longest potential? Please.

Dude, read his post. It won't be impossible for him to throw the Boss right, it'll will just be much harder.