• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why some holes suck...blame the chucker

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
working on a few new holes now.....unfortunately I have to take the idiot factor into account

picture a sliver of land 500 ft area long between 2 streets I have decided to settle on placing the basket directly equidistant at the 250 ft mark from both streets and try to make a challenging green instead of a 330 foot hole with a picturesque finish at a waterfall and pond......why?
Because idiot players will make up their own tee and play 500 feet from an elevated concrete sidewalk and most likely hyzer into the properties that border the land.

Am I paranoid...no...I walked over 5 people through the area and almost all of them commented "oh man wouldnt it be fun to launch from up here"....even though I think these guys could make the shot its the knuckleheads who cant do it I gotta plan for.....so this is why u often get those why didnt they do more here holes with the long walk past the amazing waterfalls that should be a green :(

Would there be a way to block the desirable-but-sketchy tee pad with foliage? Sounds like a really neat landing zone that I'm sure you don't want to pass up.

It really pains me that I can't trust some players.... I'd have to basically plant a forest of trees and block the view of the stream from the property owners I am trying to not piss off with 20 yr olds who have been playing 2 months and their Apes and Katanas crashing into their bay windows....ugh....trust me its a shame but I can't take the chance

Can you make the waterfall area part of the fairway? Make it like a par 4 to make the long bomber throw less desirable?

I am toying with putting a tee near the waterfall and then a 260ish drive...it would not be as cool but at least its somewhat part of the course then

A tee does sound like a good idea, at least it will incorporate the beauty into the course, AND a teepad is basically the least desirable thing for chuckers to throw at. You save the view and the homes!

Would some mandos deter shots from landing into the neighbor's property?

If players don't pay attention to tee locations they certainly won't care about necessarily following mandos or even know what that arrow means.

I think his concern is for people safari shooting the hole from a non-tee pad. If there is a basket in the clearing tempting them to throw, I doubt they would honor a mandatory from that location either. I'd love to see pictures of the area!

A tee does sound like a good idea, at least it will incorporate the beauty into the course, AND a teepad is basically the least desirable thing for chuckers to throw at. You save the view and the homes!

for some reason I see idiots throwing to the next tee pad....this includes throwing down a bike path and across roads etc.....it's just the impulsivity of youth...but you gotta account for it

I think his concern is for people safari shooting the hole from a non-tee pad. If there is a basket in the clearing tempting them to throw, I doubt they would honor a mandatory from that location either. I'd love to see pictures of the area!

I will try to put up some pics tomorrow

Would some mandos deter shots from landing into the neighbor's property?

chuckers (I would say a solid 90% don't honor mandos).......and I would argue that 80% don't even know what a mando is............

I'm not sure what the neighbors are like, but I wouldn't even entertain the idea of planting trees because if it does block the view all it would take is a couple phone calls and a threat to sue the landowner. Blocking views I believe is against the law in most states because the property value can be compromised. I would go with your 260ft idea

Mandos do very little to stop the chuckers......:sick:
Well, they do around here. :| I know what you mean though. :(
The only easy way I can see to prevent that is to make the course flow so that the walk to the raised, illegal tee is egregiously long and out of the way. Other than that, maybe a sign explicitly forbidding you from teeing there but that's only going to encourage some DBs.

Looks you'll have to plant lots of rosebushes b/w the correct tee and the illegal tee. :|

for some reason I see idiots throwing to the next tee pad....this includes throwing down a bike path and across roads etc.....it's just the impulsivity of youth...but you gotta account for it

You know what, you are totally right. It's like a mysterious teepad putting instinct.

You know what, you are totally right. It's like a mysterious teepad putting instinct.

yes we must account for mysterious tee pad approach and putt instincts as well....m theory is that players without bags are always gripping their disc and the urge to throw is stronger with these kind...those of us with bags would have to get a disc out of our bag and the instinct to tee pad shoot is thus mitigated by 1 more step. :)

You should build an electric fence.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-7844-1319559551-27.gif