• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why the Beato drill is so important.

Yep we basically combine concepts from all those sports. And ZJ is right on about general advice, be athletic.

well, i went to my local short course today and practiced a round throwing slow and hit a 182ft ace with my first throw, hit 2 baskets and tickled the chains on another

I also hit an ace this weekend after working on the elbow smack drill and slowing things way down...

HUB, I noticed in the videos that when you are throwing either standing still or the short x-step that you use you left hand to cradle the disc a little on your reach back. Are you doing that consciously or unconsciously? I've read through the thread about a dozen times and I couldn't find where you mention if there is an advantage to this or not.

The video on page 4 #36 in this thread has three of the four top throwers using the left hand (Feldy doesn't) and Dan Beato does a little bit in #37 below. Must be some advantage.

There isn't, really. It's a personal thing and doesn't have much, if any, bearing on what happens. Everyone develops their quirks, perhaps for some it helps them keep their sense of space and shoulder turn as well as the plane the disc is on. I know for me it felt really weird to keep my off arm out of the way. The problem is that if you don't get that cradling arm out of the way ASAP when you start to turn, then you will lose a lot of speed on that turn. Best to stick to basics until you get it down well.

Last edited:
I'll preach this forever now that I've seen what it unlocks: protect the extension at all costs. It's by far the easiest access to leverage. Hips and knees and all that are a smaller percentage of the force than the basic mechanism of leveraging the disc from the right pec to the hit.

HUB are you Blake T in disguise? :)

HyzerUniBomber said:
I'll preach this forever now that I've seen what it unlocks: protect the extension at all costs. It's by far the easiest access to leverage. Hips and knees and all that are a smaller percentage of the force than the basic mechanism of leveraging the disc from the right pec to the hit.
Most players are so far out of balance and their body is in the way that they can't get extension or create a power pocket.

There isn't, really. It's a personal thing and doesn't have much, if any, bearing on what happens. Everyone develops their quirks, perhaps for some it helps them keep their sense of space and shoulder turn as well as the plane the disc is on. I know for me it felt really weird to keep my off arm out of the way. The problem is that if you don't get that cradling arm out of the way ASAP when you start to turn, then you will lose a lot of speed on that turn. Best to stick to basics until you get it down well.

Yeah, I didn't even notice that I was doing it. I think it's just a part of the ritual that I've developed, I try to keep things very similar - from taking breaths to pointing the disc at a release point. Familiarity breeds confidence or at least that's what I'm gonna tell myself.

HUB are you Blake T in disguise? :)

My secret identity can never be revealed!

Most players are so far out of balance and their body is in the way that they can't get extension or create a power pocket.

Can't argue with that. It's another counter-intuitive aspect: we think we should be generating a forward motion with our whole body. It certainly FEELS like that's the most power you can generate. If you're whole body is catapulting down the teebox, that's gotta be force right?!

Convincing yourself that upright, controlled, smooth and slow is how you can best leverage powerful/accurate shots is no easy task.

well, i went to my local short course today and practiced a round throwing slow and hit a 182ft ace with my first throw, hit 2 baskets and tickled the chains on another

I also hit an ace this weekend after working on the elbow smack drill and slowing things way down...

Guys, that is FREAKING AWESOME!!!! Words can't even describe how stoked I am for you. I had these moments in the field where I'd felt my way into that motion of effortless accuracy and it was like, "this is insanity! I can hit a basket at 245' at will! I gotta understand this! WHAT IS IT?!"

I really think that you gain an absurd amount of accuracy because you have all this time during a slow back-swing to make sure the disc is on the right angle. There's no moving the disc around to get it adjusted, your shoulder's not bouncing around, head is quiet.

I played a round on Sunday at Bird's Nest and the course designer (John Bird) was out doing some clean up for a tournament. He joined my friend Kyle and I for a few holes and the second hole he joined was 405' - I parked my tee shot 2' from the basket. It was pretty sweet getting a "nice shot!" from the guy who built the course.

Guys, that is FREAKING AWESOME!!!! Words can't even describe how stoked I am for you. I had these moments in the field where I'd felt my way into that motion of effortless accuracy and it was like, "this is insanity! I can hit a basket at 245' at will! I gotta understand this! WHAT IS IT?!"

Just want to add to the chorus, been working on this stuff for a couple of weeks now (I've only been playing a month) and nailed a 200' ace with a standstill Aviar, right in the chains. Two weeks ago I couldn't throw a Leopard 150 feet.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of everything, it has really helped me learn how to throw a disc properly!

Just went out to try the Beato Drill today. Had to have put on an extra 100' on my drives. Still needs improvement, I've only been playing a month, but it's a great start for my disc golf future.

Congrats guys - I'm still waiting for the first one to stick. Lots of chaining out now, but they never stay in. Since you guys are in the learning phase (hopefully) without bad habits, I would shoot a bunch of video now and get it worked out right from the get go.

Video is the easiest way to avoid the "feel ain't real" plague haunted me through the 1st year of playing.

This has been a great thread. Thanks for all the input and work you guys have done.

Tried watching the Beato drill before but just couldn't get it watching his video, this thread along with all of the videos has helped immensely.

Tonight I went out and practiced with 5 mids starting with just the Beato drill and was doing fine. Then, out of curiosity after watching McCray's style, I lowered it just a little and leaned a little forward and my balance point changed and bingo! It just felt right. Got some new tools to play with!

Last edited:
I just want to say thank you to everyone in this thread. I haven't tried practicing any of it, but all the videos really help to understand it better. I started playing almost 15 years ago, life happened and it's been 2 years since I even touched a disc. So hopefully that break means I can unlearn some of my bad habits easier and pick up some of the good ones in this thread.

I really think that you gain an absurd amount of accuracy because you have all this time during a slow back-swing to make sure the disc is on the right angle. There's no moving the disc around to get it adjusted, your shoulder's not bouncing around, head is quiet.

I've also benefited from this thread, particularly with accuracy and consistency. Distance? It still sucks, but I'm hitting what I have more consistently.

I think going slow is a secondary reason. But the primary reason is your tip about hitting a target with your elbow. It's such a simple thought that is easy to repeat vs. trying to do accomplish 5 other thoughts at once. Once you identify the release point, it's easy to replicate.

Thanks for all of your efforts to help us out!

It's been a very entertaining process that has helped me as much as anything I've done in terms of technique - because it forced me to work out the most important aspects of form.

There's just too much to focus on at once! If I was trying to fix all the things that I was doing wrong in the beginning at one time, I would still be at step 1. uhh, I'd probably have quite disc golf to be honest. Fixing everything at once is just too much.

I just wanted to figure out the most important thing and isolate it as much as possible and then improve it. It took a monstrous amount of trial and error in the field (and taking stuff out of the equation) to get to that core mechanism of leverage... and I didn't even know what to call it.

Once you can feel leverage, the process starts moving forward again and the fun part starts.

This drill has helped me as well. Understanding that every joint is a lever. With that I discovered:
The proper way to grasp the disc.
To make sure everything is nice and relaxed until your disc is close to your pecs.
And when that happens, all the energy from your legs hips and torso has a chance to reach your arm then
BAMMMMM!!!!!
Everything comes out from your grip.
It's nice not having to feel like you need to muscle your throw.

I have started a field work regimen during my lunch hour at work using a RFF Wizard, JK Pro Aviar, R-Pro Dart, Star Gremlin, GStar Mako3, and an old Curly Disc Cyclone from 1995. We have a space beside work to throw, the grass has a slope that goes upward with trees on the right and building on the left with a sidewalk that functions as a teepad. I have been doing the right pec drill and also trying the slow through from your video HUBS. I only seem to get one or two shots that rip out. I threw uphill 160 ft with my old Star Gremlin mid that seemed like it came out as it should from a right pec drill. I know it will take some time to get the feel down. I started the door frame exercises and pound the hammer drills the other night. I am trying to take it slow but it is frustrating. I had an accident and injured my shoulder and back in the winter of 2011. I played 3 rounds last year and this year I started a new job and there are some guys that play DG here so I have been playing again and realize I need to fix my drives as my upshots and putting are pretty solid. Thanks for everyone's input on the thread as it is helpful in my process of relearning to drive properly.

practice

I got a decent rip today at lunch with the Mako, 175 ft. I estimate the ground rise in elavation is about 20 ft from the sidewalk to the landing spot. I am having trouble getting it to pop out. I keep grip locking about a third of the releases.

Latest posts