• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why the Beato drill is so important.

While you're trying to dial in the feeling of leverage, try going to a 3 finger grip. It helps accentuate the pivoting between your index knuckle and thumb. Shoot some phone video if you can.

practice

When I have a good throw I get the popping off sound. The grip lock discs don't pop and come off late and go to the right.:\

A popping sound is generally thought to indicate a half-slip/half-hit. There is some debate here, though.

A popping sound is generally thought to indicate a half-slip/half-hit. There is some debate here, though.

Put me in the camp that says audible pop has no correlation to good hitting. I think it's one of the biggest misconceptions because the dgr guys called it snap meaning wrist extension and that worked it's way into "ohhh, you can hear the snap!"

While you're trying to dial in the feeling of leverage, try going to a 3 finger grip. It helps accentuate the pivoting between your index knuckle and thumb. Shoot some phone video if you can.

I tried the three finger grip today on the practice field. It didn't quite feel right on standing still with the mid ranges. But when I worked with my drivers and the x-step it was very comfortable and smooth. I'm still just under 300 but about 40 or 50 feet farther than my average when I started working on this back at the end of August. I can feel the "magic" coming. Lot's more practice though.

Keep in mind..if this happens.."now I'm throwing way to the right!!" usually means....you're getting more power and your brain hasn't compensated to release the disc sooner....yet. ;) So keep throwing and eventually you'll start releasing straighter.

practice

Thanks DiscFifty, I will keep that in mind. If those pop offs are half hits then I will be blown away when I can get the hit. Thanks everyone for the help!

Keep in mind..if this happens.."now I'm throwing way to the right!!" usually means....you're getting more power and your brain hasn't compensated to release the disc sooner....yet. ;) So keep throwing and eventually you'll start releasing straighter.

What do you mean by 'release'? I assume you mean that the brain hasn't yet compensated to have better timing, so that the disc rips out of your hand sooner?

What do you mean by 'release'? I assume you mean that the brain hasn't yet compensated to have better timing, so that the disc rips out of your hand sooner?

I believe he's saying that as you adjust to throw from your right pec with your elbow leading your shoulder - and extending towards your target - you are holding the disc longer around the arc that it is traveling on.

It's extremely common to end up feeling like you are grip locking the disc, because you're holding the disc longer, waiting for the hit forces to eject the disc from your hand.

You have to learn the new release point and an easy way to to do that is to aim left of your target (RHBH) until your mind recalibrates the new release point.

Awesome Thread! Thanks HUB & everyone else who have put in their two cents / asked questions. I have been playing for 5 years now, dumb and happy with my upshots & putting but not really liking my short drives. I'm now in the growing pains area of retooling my throws, and this thread has really cleared thing up for me. Practice, patience, practice some more.

I believe he's saying that as you adjust to throw from your right pec with your elbow leading your shoulder - and extending towards your target - you are holding the disc longer around the arc that it is traveling on.

It's extremely common to end up feeling like you are grip locking the disc, because you're holding the disc longer, waiting for the hit forces to eject the disc from your hand.

You have to learn the new release point and an easy way to to do that is to aim left of your target (RHBH) until your mind recalibrates the new release point.

I've been working on this quite a bit lately and getting some really good results. I started by doing what HUB suggests and aiming to the left and trying to grip lock it. I am getting fantastic results with putters and mids, especially mids. I'll hit it sometimes with fairway drives but it really hard to get the timing right on anything faster than about a speed 8 or 9.

I am finding that the process is helping with my aim a lot with longer drives and I don't know how but in the last week I've thrown some of the best hyzer bombs of my life. I mean bombs. Like who threw that bombs. It's hit and miss but I'm seeing and overall really positive effect in all areas.

It weird trusting this new release point that the disc is going to go straight and not out to the left. It's a totally different feeling of power and leverage. It feels like I start rotating the disc at the hit out to the left and because I'm aiming that way my hand has more room and disc to pull around the nose.

It feels like I've still got the disc in my hand as I'm pulling past my center line and round to the right but the disc has already left my hand. It just happens so freakin fast. Feels like the disc leaves so fast my brain can't register it for a nanosecond.

That's awesome and I have a gut feeling that a big part of this big jump in ejection speed is related to the fact that our arms are now available for direct momentum along the path of the disc. There's throws that feel huge amounts of blood jamming into my hand. Sometimes it hurts.

Hyzer shots also feel almost turbo charged, and I think that can be attributed to the angle of a hyzer being easier to grip later into the hit. Like you really get the hooks into the rim.

Wider rims definitely give me trouble with holding late to the proper release points, but working on hammer drills to get the hand strength really squeezing harder.

Again, great to hear the feedback and glad it's helpful.

I've watched a lot of Paul and most of the time he really does seem to be noticably open by the time that the disc gets to his left arm, where most people would still be closed and have the disc come across the front of their bicep. It seems like he rounds his shoulders in a bit and I think that may have something to do with it.

Okay I think I've confused myself on the grip by going back and reading the Myth of the Disc Pivot thread https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24903.

Using the instruction provided here by HUB and others, when should the squeeze or clamp down on the grip be applied? Since the focus is on leverage instead of arm speed should a strong grip be applied all the way through from the reach back to ejection or should the strong grip be applied and timed to once the disc is at the right pec?

I've watched a lot of Paul and most of the time he really does seem to be noticably open by the time that the disc gets to his left arm, where most people would still be closed and have the disc come across the front of their bicep. It seems like he rounds his shoulders in a bit and I think that may have something to do with it.

Not sure what you are talking about, he is closed/braced through the finish. That is the only way the front shoulder can finish forward of the left shoulder.

Okay I think I've confused myself on the grip by going back and reading the Myth of the Disc Pivot thread https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24903.

Using the instruction provided here by HUB and others, when should the squeeze or clamp down on the grip be applied? Since the focus is on leverage instead of arm speed should a strong grip be applied all the way through from the reach back to ejection or should the strong grip be applied and timed to once the disc is at the right pec?
Loose grip is better than tight until the power zone. Then clamp down hard. You can keep the grip firm/taut so the wrist still moves/loads, but too tight is bad and will lead to muscle fatigue and tendonitis.

I have working on my throw and it's getting better thanks HUBs! I Was wondering at what point should your hips start to open up? Before or after arm extension? Can't seem to get that part of the timing down