• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why use the metric system in disc golf?

The fact is, full metric implementation in the U.S. is never going to happen. The biggest obstacles to that being things that have been woven into the American landscape that would be cost prohibitive to change.

^^^this

in addition to all the good reasons scarpy listed, think about all the screws, bolts, and whatever in the infrastructure all over the country that are measured in the English system and use tool built to those specs.

reminds me of the story of the space shuttle jet's rocket boosters being a certain size because of the average width of two horses in Roman times...

Glad i read this thread, just for the bit about the headlamp relflectors. I did not know that.

I'm confused about the 10 m circle though. I thought a circle was 360 degrees and I'm not sure if that's in centigrade or farenheit. I do know that when I'm putting for for a bird just inside the circle that it feels way over 90 degrees farenheit.

Glad i read this thread, just for the bit about the headlamp relflectors. I did not know that.

I'm confused about the 10 m circle though. I thought a circle was 360 degrees and I'm not sure if that's in centigrade or farenheit. I do know that when I'm putting for for a bird just inside the circle that it feels way over 90 degrees farenheit.

:clap:

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it a 20 M circle? As the 10 M rule is from the center out, making it a radius or one half the diameter. :\

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it a 20 M circle? As the 10 M rule is from the center out, making it a radius or one half the diameter. :\

Technically, you are right and saying that the diameter of the circle around the basket has a 20m diameter. But when people refer to the logistics of a circle (outside of disc golf also) the radius is much more important then the diameter. If you are sitting at 10m out from teh basket, you are only throwing the 10m and not the entire 20m which is why we refer it to as a 10m circle rather than a 20m circle.

Radius of a circle= pi*(r^2)
Circumference of a circle= 2pi*r

Technically, you are right and saying that the diameter of the circle around the basket has a 20m diameter. But when people refer to the logistics of a circle (outside of disc golf also) the radius is much more important then the diameter. If you are sitting at 10m out from teh basket, you are only throwing the 10m and not the entire 20m which is why we refer it to as a 10m circle rather than a 20m circle.

Gotcha, thanks! :thmbup:

4t2GC.png

I sort of drew out what you were confused mainly because I have 20 minutes to kill before class and wanted to do this just for my own self. The top picture is what it is right now with the black dot being in the middle. The second picture is if we had a 20m circle. Basically, we refer it to as a 10m circle because that is all we need to travel from the edge of a circle to the middle of the circle. It would not make sense to go from edge to edge.

Radius of a circle= pi*(r^2)
Circumference of a circle= 2pi*r

RADIUS of a circle = .... the radius of a circle. (Straight line distance from center of circle to the circle's edge.)

AREA of a circel = pi*(r^2)

In engineering USA is officially metric, but engilsh engineering units are almost exclusively used. Go figure.

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away...

I just know the politicians would love to be able to say they got gas prices back down under a dollar (per liter), and many would want to set the national speed limit at 100 (kmh). And most men would really have big egos if they were able to brag about their 15 to 20, ...ahem!

RADIUS of a circle = .... the radius of a circle. (Straight line distance from center of circle to the circle's edge.)

AREA of a circel = pi*(r^2)

In engineering USA is officially metric, but engilsh engineering units are almost exclusively used. Go figure.

I can't believe I messed up my wording like that :doh::doh::doh: I knew that pi*(r^2) is the area but my brain put radius.

Latest posts