• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wife says "Change hobbies…"

You could always counter with "Sure honey, I'll just join a pool, dart, or bowling league instead... Or maybe I'll just buy a drum set and drum my way to fitness."

But really, she shouldn't have gotten the opportunity to say anything about your hobbies in the first place; she should've been busy making you sammiches. ;)

I have a wonderful partner who does not get dg, but supports me in it. I do chores around the house, fix things projects and the like, and play as much as I can. We don't have kids, but for me I think it is about the jealousy behind you being happy, and her being miserable. This has nothing to do with you. It could be ping pong, or football, or putting together model cars. Hell join crossfit or something and workout two hours a day, take your kids, that will piss her off too.

Do what you want to do, remember love knows no conditions.

I've got a suggestion. Tell her you've given up disc golf and you're taking up becoming an alcoholic that hangs around in parks and the discs are just to keep the cops from running you in for being a vagrant. I hear heroin is cheap too...jk

sometimes we can be clueless as to how other people feel, though. i don't think many people are self-centered initially. i feel that sentiment is born of jealousy that is allowed to fester until it becomes a resentment, at which point it boils over into "hey, disc golf sucks, blah blah blah, you don't have time for it".

but let's face it, we have no idea what OP's love life is like or the inner parts of the relationship.

maybe you ARE out of shape and it bothers her. it happens, as ****ty as it is to think about.

maybe she feels like she gets stuck with the "wifely" duties without her own hobbies like you get to enjoy, albeit only 1-2 times a week. not all women consider cooking and crafts a hobby, lol.

maybe she feels she doesn't get enough real time from you.

maybe you ARE running everywhere all the time, contributing to the above, but also impacting how you interact with others. i know when i was working 90 hour weeks, i either turned into a bit of a dick (very clippy, schedule oriented, etc, no real interaction) or just seemed apathetic in general, despite caring very much when i finally got to relax and spend quality time with my significant other.

maybe she wants you closer to home because she feels overwhelmed.

who knows? i don't; i'm not you. sit down with her and figure it out.

these are all more likely situations. now, above all, i'm not saying that how she feels is your fault: more often than not things are just a culmination of circumstances and compromises that add up into someone feeling crappy. i'm just saying maybe that's how she feels. and how she feels is what matters, because it's what has lead to her telling you to quit disc golf. if she really is just hating on your hobby, then you need to work it out either way. but don't let her choose hobbies for you, in that case.

Last edited:
lol some of these crack me up.. No Im not a deadbeat dad. and I don't smoke/drink. Money is not an issue. I work two jobs. 6 years ago I was heavy into rock climbing and biking. I usually swap up favorite hobbies about every year… well I haven't give up the disc man!! She really feels like its a time constraint esp when I go to play in tournaments (which is a rare thing). but she tells me 1 hour of hard exercise vs 2-3 hours walking throwing discs is better for you.. I complain that I m outta shape sometimes, 10-15 pounds to lose and so she reminds me I should do something else... Some one said earlier something about what she does for a hobby.. thats just it, she doesn't really have any she is active in at the moment. I am going to try to give her "her" time doing whatever she can think of and hopefully this will help. I also just have to have a serious talk with her about this issue. I m sure it will all work out in the end ;) thanks again all for your support!!

i was going to post this as a joke but i guess it actually applies.. lol

Keep in mind that nobody is 100 percent right and nobody is 100 percent wrong. All beliefs and political systems have good and bad points. If you believe that your way is the only way, you are putting up a roadblock that will prevent you from dealing with a communist in a positive way. Keep a two-way line of communication open when dealing with issues that affect both rural and urban areas.
Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_2154407_deal-communist.html#ixzz2nW4r65d9

Sounds like a good diskin buddy of mines wife. Its not that so much the disc golf as that her husband enjoys it and has friends he likes to see. She on the other hand has no hobbies friends or interests so is most content if she can make those around her as unhappy as she is. BTW dude never complains or bitches but I have never heard him say anything he likes about her or that he enjoys her company.

Talk to her and see what is really bothering her. There's more to it than what she is letting on, especially if it is not taking time away from the family. If she is against disc golf, try to involve her. If your kids like like, she might too.

How much time do you spend talking about it at home? Being online reading reviews and sites. For my wife that was a bigger problem than playing. I get addicted to hobbies and kinda go full bore.

I understand how that can get annoying for some of those around me so I try to curb that side of it a bit. I stoped sleeping with my discs and I'm trying to stop carrying my bag with us when we go to the grocery store.

My wife also sees how happy playing makes me and has never asked me not to play. Heck, if I'm in a bad mood she throws me out of the house and tells me to go play disc golf. And I play anywhere from 2-5 times a week.

Or give yourself fitness within dg and give her time for herself and then date nights with you! Show her love first and play dg when you can. Run 1 mile before your round as a warm up. Takes a few minutes. Then do 3 push-ups after each hole, if you birdie the hole do three burpees. You will get in shape and feel good. It sounds like you got it covered. I'm sure if you talk with her it's all good. None of us have a clue, but we are for/with you!

My post was intended to be a joke. Having a wife and children I know how difficult it can be to adjust to different schedules, responsibilities, etc. I in no way condone unhealthy behavior...unless of course you're buyin. Communication and compromise are the foundation of problem solving.

Hmmm...she clipped your nads, carries them around in a bag, pumps out three babies. And you are here asking for advice?....now?.....from us? Get a third job, sounds like you'll need it. :p

Threaten her with a ball golf obsession. Round here that's like 80$ a round she will be beggin you to go back to disc golf. Only down side you might have to act like u like ****ty ball golf.

I stopped sleeping with my discs and I'm trying to stop carrying my bag with us when we go to the grocery store.
Careful Bob. Baby steps... start with baby steps. If you're having night sweats try moving the discs to the foot of the bed first. That's not technically 'in' bed with you. If you keep waking up with that familiar feeling like you're gripping the disc in your sleep, preparing to tee off, you've regressed and behavior modification through intense electrical stimuli would be just what the doctor ordered.

Oh man, here we go. Just got this text from my wife in the other room. Pardon the grammer, she's normally moderately intelligent.

"Sorry honey...u r just a little obsessed w disc golf. Sometimes it seems like u think that going disc golfing is the only valuable thing u can do w ur time so u just pass the time."

Just my two cents, but when a man's wife starts questioning a relatively cheap hobby, its time to see how many shoes she has.

If the underlying concern is time, perhaps disc golf isn't the real issue.

Latest posts