• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Will this weekend change the face of disc golf?

Widdershins

Double Eagle Member
If the rumors are true a new company is set to lure some of the top players away. If true will existing sponsors match the offers?

This weekend and the fallout from it may change the game, not for the likes of us in the near future but for the top dogs. While rumors are just rumors and often very different from the truth, given the numbers being mentioned this new company may have serious financial backing. Is a new manufacturer about to launch?

Well Mr. Ellis you are more of an insider than most of us. why don't you divulge some key information and then let the speculation and conjecture fly from there.

keltik said:
Well Mr. Ellis you are more of an insider than most of us. why don't you divulge some key information and then let the speculation and conjecture fly from there.

I was hoping someone else might know enough to let us know what is really going on, which is why I created the thread. I have spoken to none of the principals recently but have heard enough to think with this much smoke there might be a fire behind it.

So if you had the financial backing to start a new company and bring in some top players who would you pick? We know that the ability to throw a disc is different than the ability to promote a company (if this matters at all) so in descending order who do you invite onto the new team? What is a top player worth to a new company? What will it cost to lure them away? How big a team do you build? How diverse do you want the team (gender, race, age, geography, division, titles) to be?

who's this golf prodigy going to the new company?

Mark Ellis said:
keltik said:
So if you had the financial backing to start a new company and bring in some top players who would you pick? We know that the ability to throw a disc is different than the ability to promote a company (if this matters at all) so in descending order who do you invite onto the new team? What is a top player worth to a new company? What will it cost to lure them away? How big a team do you build? How diverse do you want the team (gender, race, age, geography, division, titles) to be?

My first picks based solely on how they market themselves and their sponsors, and the "brand" they have created for themselves:

Dave Feldburg
Avery Jenkins
Nikko Locastro
Cat Allen (due to the fact that she has become very recognizable in a very short time. I see her becoming the face of women's disc golf.)

I would have included Climo, but I think his name has become synonymous with Innova. Kinda like Jordan or Tiger Woods and Nike.

I'd ideally want a strong voice in the community to lead the team, someone with a good amount of experience. After that, at least one solid player from the US scene and the European scene with at least one solid woman player. Small team, focused efforts. I would prioritize social media abilities and community presence.

You guys are doing the work that the new company and any other company needs to do so Mark's sponsor at least should be happy :)

Nothing yet that I know of; however, Will Schusterick recently posted this on Facebook:

Some awesome news coming up at 12:30 CST today!

okay so Will said goodbye to Innova. what else is involved? there has to be something else to this "big weekend."

Latest posts